Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

28 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Only thing for me is there seems to be an abundance of acts that could do BST, and if that clue about three of the headliners being in their 70s is true then there's only one or two remaining spots? Also seems to be a lot of acts around that could headline IOW but for Latitude there doesn't seem to be too many.

BST - Bruno Mars, Roger Waters (both already confirmed), ELO/Rod Stewart (the "do ya" clue probably meaning one of these), another act in their 70s apparently, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Paramore, probably more pop acts that I've forgotten (Taylor Swift?)

IOW - Depeche Mode, The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, The Prodigy, Noel Gallagher, Arctic Monkeys, Liam Gallagher? (Plus the random out of the blue shiters they get like Stereophonics)

Latitude - Catfish and the Bottlemen, then I'm struggling

what r u doing?

20 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Listing a bunch of possibilities for the the three festivals we were mentioning as possible for Gorillaz to show that to me there seems to be much more non-Gorillaz options for BST/IOW than for Latitude...

?

Okay I just don't think being able to name more bands for one festival makes them more likely for another, given that each act isn't of equal opportunity and it's just a best guess. Besides, Latitude and IOW both completely surprised us this year and given they're both changing identity somewhat it's likely they will be hard to predict once more.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Okay I just don't think being able to name more bands for one festival makes them more likely for another, given that each act isn't of equal opportunity and it's just a best guess. Besides, Latitude and IOW both completely surprised us this year and given they're both changing identity somewhat it's likely they will be hard to predict once more.

Oh yeah ofc but I mean with a bigger pool it's possible that IOW and BST could both have 3 better options than Gorillaz.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not entirely sure John has the same control of things he did have, after selling.

He's still strongly involved as far as i know, but i suspect he'll have to run choices past other people and those other people might well suggest acts back at him, and he might feel an obligation to take any suggestions seriously.

Ahh I think I missed the LiveNation takeover getting the green light in September,  in which case it will be interesting to see what direction they take with the first year with them at the helm.

Can't help but feel they'll get one of Arctics/Foo Fighters and R+L will get the other, unless Arctics go Hyde Park. Depending how much John's involved I wonder if N.E.R.D. could be a contender for a Friday coheadline now they've started releasing music, seem to remember Pharrell speaking very highly of him when asked why he'd chosen to play in 2015 something along the lines of "Anything for John", which I suppose you'd have to say about the man you're signed to :lol:

U2 touring next year and may well do a festival again next year, but it's just been announced they are playing MSG bang on the IOW dates so they look out. Being  the 50th anniversary year I'm hoping for some legendary bands playing.... The cure, DM, Pearl Jam would do nicely. 

Yeah it's a good fit. Wish they were playing the mainland (aside from next weekend). Hopefully it tees them up for a future Glastonbury slot, although it'll be 2021/22 at the rate they tour.

I reckon Pearl Jam are likely to be here too. They only ever come to Europe for 2-3 weeks at a time so if they're playing stuff like Werchter and NOS Alive and stuff then it makes sense that IOW moved back a couple of weeks (quite like they did last time PJ toured). I think you could also say that Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode would be a rock solid pairing for a certain demographic, and you'd get all the devotees flying in from around Europe as well.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah it's a good fit. Wish they were playing the mainland (aside from next weekend). Hopefully it tees them up for a future Glastonbury slot, although it'll be 2021/22 at the rate they tour.

I reckon Pearl Jam are likely to be here too. They only ever come to Europe for 2-3 weeks at a time so if they're playing stuff like Werchter and NOS Alive and stuff then it makes sense that IOW moved back a couple of weeks (quite like they did last time PJ toured). I think you could also say that Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode would be a rock solid pairing for a certain demographic, and you'd get all the devotees flying in from around Europe as well.

I was also told that he’d be surprised if they played Glastonbury as it doesn’t pay enough.  Shame if true.

48 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah Pearl Jam seemed like a good bet to me the other day when I was looking at where else they're rumoured for. 

I wonder who the Friday night pairing will be. If they got Chem Bros in I'd be seriously tempted for a ticket, though I imagine it'll be someone naff. 

Liam Gallagher/NGHFB or Royal Blood are probably options (size wise).

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah Pearl Jam seemed like a good bet to me the other day when I was looking at where else they're rumoured for. 

I wonder who the Friday night pairing will be. If they got Chem Bros in I'd be seriously tempted for a ticket, though I imagine it'll be someone naff. 

I don’t think they necessarily have to do the cobbled together coheadliners with the new leadership behind the fest. I guess it’s worthwhile if they need to make up the numbers but I could see them just having Killers or Kasabian close the night.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Dave did it solo a few years ago, and they must be aware of the sales boost it gives, surely?

Yeah he did, but can only go by what I’m told.  May also be because they wouldn’t headline the pyramid anymore (would they?) so would it give them enough of a boost? 

He did say they’ve been asked a few times in recent years though. 

Edited by sisco

12 minutes ago, sisco said:

Yeah he did, but can only go by what I’m told.  May also be because they wouldn’t headline the pyramid anymore (would they?) so would it give them enough of a boost? 

He did say they’ve been asked a few times in recent years though. 

I think they'd probably headline. They'd perhaps be on the weaker-end of things for that as not the biggest draw, but their catalogue and history and ability to still sell shows in other countries probably puts them there.... plus of course they played London Stadium this year. I've no idea how it sold but I guess it did OK.

55 minutes ago, sisco said:

I was also told that he’d be surprised if they played Glastonbury as it doesn’t pay enough.  Shame if true.

That’s disappointing. Always perplexes me when bands must see all these high profile Glastonbury headline sets come and go but still think it’s below their worth. Fingers crossed they change their tune at some point as, unlike most heritage acts, their stuff is still very good.

Do you know if they’re headlining Coachella? They’ve been floated as a rumour for that for years and there’s a gap in their current dates for it.

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That’s disappointing. Always perplexes me when bands must see all these high profile Glastonbury headline sets come and go but still think it’s below their worth. Fingers crossed they change their tune at some point as, unlike most heritage acts, their stuff is still very good.

Do you know if they’re headlining Coachella? They’ve been floated as a rumour for that for years and there’s a gap in their current dates for it.

I’ll try and find out for you.  Think I was only told this as I have asked him every year about Glastonbury!