Isle of Wight 2018 Festival

RATM

8 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

Blur did both in 2015. Bon Jovi did both in 2013. I can't imagine what other festival Waters would play, and BST is usually quite big on naming their gigs as exclusive. 

I agree it's difficult to think where else he might play - tho the answer might be no other festivals as he has arena shows.

The other possibility might be on the bill for the stones at Knebworth, if that happens. Not necessarily on the same day (it depends how the thing is set-up, for which I've no idea yet).

But overall i think you're probably dead right, as IoW would dove-tail nicely before the first UK date ... tho I am a little surprised if AEG and LN will be sharing him.

There does seem to be a comfortable gap in the schedule for an IOW appearance but I think for how much he'll inevitably cost and the mammoth task of incorporating his live staging, they're not gonna be content to let Hyde Park and the European arena tour (Live Nation promoted in the UK, no less) steal a march. 

After 2013, when the headliners played Finsbury Park, Hyde Park and Wembley and the poor turnout almost buried IOW; Giddings said that he would avoid bands with big London shows from now on. Blur are an anomaly there but it seems likely that Blur were something of a last resort given how the band announced their comeback pretty late on and IOW couldn't announce until about eight weeks before the festival started. So from their experience I don't think they'll be wanting Roger Waters now and Live Nation will have already further impacted sales with the arena tour so I can't see it.

Edited by dentalplan

22 hours ago, LiamMcMillen said:

Blur did both in 2015. Bon Jovi did both in 2013. I can't imagine what other festival Waters would play, and BST is usually quite big on naming their gigs as exclusive. 

If it's not IOW I wonder if he could be involved in the rumoured festival at Knebworth, like you say I couldnt see him doing any of the others and isn't that meant to be an AEG Event as well?

EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't realise there was another page and it had already been mentioned :lol:

Edited by alexlloyd

Quite a few big, older bands who look like they'll be around at the time - Depeche Mode, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam. Could end up similar to 2012 in that regard. Pretty much between IOW and BST for them all in terms of festivals (guess Bon Jovi could do Download).

Also in terms of newer acts, the likes of Kasabian, Florence and The Killers will probably be around with no obvious festivals for them to be at.

If IOW make a hash of their headliners this year then they should probably just give up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

Anyone think they could get Gorillaz? Just announced an Ireland date for June 9th and they're in Europe until at least 14th July. I remember Giddings saying that he booked Blur in 2015 through Jamie Hewlett too... 

you're not the first person I've seen suggest them. It's quite possible, I think.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

They'll surely be at one of IOW/BST/Latitude.

Probs be a Live Nation fest. MCD who's promoting the Irish gig has a partnership with Live Nation. The founder of MCD is a Live Nation director and has been recently appointed a director of IOW as well.  

The "new" V fest may be in with a shout too, depending on the direction the festival takes

28 minutes ago, craigb said:

The founder of MCD is a Live Nation director

a bit more than that, even - he's Chairman of Live Nation UK.

It's all very cosy, and when he became half-owner of Festival Republic with Live Nation all those years ago it's was bleeding obvious that somewhen down the line Live Nation would acquire his shares of V Festival and DF.

John Giddings tweeted around this time last year when responding to fans that he'd never book Gorillaz after watching them headline Glastonbury, so unless he's had a change of heart I think they might be more likely for BST or R+L.

I did try and find the tweet but he's tweeted 32,400 times and it could well of been 18 months ago actually :lol:

3 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

John Giddings tweeted around this time last year when responding to fans that he'd never book Gorillaz after watching them headline Glastonbury, so unless he's had a change of heart I think they might be more likely for BST or R+L.

I did try and find the tweet but he's tweeted 32,400 times and it could well of been 18 months ago actually :lol:

I'm not entirely sure John has the same control of things he did have, after selling.

He's still strongly involved as far as i know, but i suspect he'll have to run choices past other people and those other people might well suggest acts back at him, and he might feel an obligation to take any suggestions seriously.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not entirely sure John has the same control of things he did have, after selling.

He's still strongly involved as far as i know, but i suspect he'll have to run choices past other people and those other people might well suggest acts back at him, and he might feel an obligation to take any suggestions seriously.

Bad news for Scouting For Girls.

2 hours ago, craigb said:

Probs be a Live Nation fest. MCD who's promoting the Irish gig has a partnership with Live Nation. The founder of MCD is a Live Nation director and has been recently appointed a director of IOW as well.  

The "new" V fest may be in with a shout too, depending on the direction the festival takes

Doubt that means much, the last two big gigs Damon's done have been AEG affairs and so is their tour. 

Pretty up in the air but I'd still fancy them to end up in Hyde Park rather than do a proper fest. 

Only thing for me is there seems to be an abundance of acts that could do BST, and if that clue about three of the headliners being in their 70s is true then there's only one or two remaining spots? Also seems to be a lot of acts around that could headline IOW but for Latitude there doesn't seem to be too many.

BST - Bruno Mars, Roger Waters (both already confirmed), ELO/Rod Stewart (the "do ya" clue probably meaning one of these), another act in their 70s apparently, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, Paramore, probably more pop acts that I've forgotten (Taylor Swift?)

IOW - Depeche Mode, The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, The Prodigy, Noel Gallagher, Arctic Monkeys, Liam Gallagher? (Plus the random out of the blue shiters they get like Stereophonics)

Latitude - Catfish and the Bottlemen, then I'm struggling