TRNSMT Festival 2018

Muppetmark

5 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

It is! I just had a quick look they seem to be doing quite well in the US. I'm sure it was only around a year ago they played The Venue in Derby, which couldn't be more than 500ish capacity. 

I presumed they were doing quite well there because the support shows with Guns N' Roses and Foo Fighters and the Rolling Stones must add up but I didn't expect them to be fifth name on a festival bill where like Queens of the Stone Age are second down and Stone Temple Pilots fourth. I suppose it's quite nice really, even if they are pony.

3 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Yeah I live in the middle of Derby and Nottingham so I suppose it's nice to see, can't say I'm a fan though. Unfortunately the cries for a local band to get behind have only been answered by The Struts and Sleaford Mods recently. 

Mowbeck are pretty decent imo, thogh they are a lot smaller than those guys

4 hours ago, mazza7 said:

I wonder how much notice DF were given about having the earlier weekend as the main festival... I know Geoff Ellis and other festival organisers have said in the past that the headliners are normally at least pencilled in a year advance. Makes me wonder if they were maybe struggling to fill that weekend at short notice, as I think I had initially predicted Liam and Stereophonics to jointly headline a day (or maybe I'm being too kind :lol:). 

The Killers are headlining on the second weekend and were booked up months ago. Was told they were headlining this festival back in August, by someone who has given me plenty of solid info regarding some of The killers' touring plans before . Apparently they won' t be announced "for a while" though.

So I think you're probably right in assuming maybe one or both of Liam/Stereophonics have been bumped up to headline on the earlier weekend at short notice. It does sound like its been a pretty late call to change the dates and make the "main weekend" the week before, so perhaps they have struggled to find more available bands big enough to headline those 3days. It makes sense if that's the case anyway. 

Not sure whether i will shell out for the full 5 days, or just pick and choose two or three individual day tickets to buy across the 5 days. 

6 hours ago, Neontiger90 said:

The Killers are headlining on the second weekend and were booked up months ago. Was told they were headlining this festival back in August, by someone who has given me plenty of solid info regarding some of The killers' touring plans before . Apparently they won' t be announced "for a while" though.

So I think you're probably right in assuming maybe one or both of Liam/Stereophonics have been bumped up to headline on the earlier weekend at short notice. It does sound like its been a pretty late call to change the dates and make the "main weekend" the week before, so perhaps they have struggled to find more available bands big enough to headline those 3days. It makes sense if that's the case anyway. 

Not sure whether i will shell out for the full 5 days, or just pick and choose two or three individual day tickets to buy across the 5 days. 

I heard the exact same information about The Killers today from someone I know who is usually bang on too :lol:. Sounds like they won't be announced until the New Year which is strange - they would definitely boost ticket sales!

Keep hearing the Arctic Monkeys getting mentioned too...

3 hours ago, mazza7 said:

I heard the exact same information about The Killers today from someone I know who is usually bang on too :lol:. Sounds like they won't be announced until the New Year which is strange - they would definitely boost ticket sales!

Keep hearing the Arctic Monkeys getting mentioned too...

I would love it if the Artics were there! The killers are certain, and the other act tba on that second weekend will also likely be big as they would've been booked up well in advance with the view to headline the original 3days. So very possible it's AM or a similar sized band/act. 

Think they won't be announced for a while because DF want to shift as many early weekend tickets first, before announcing the two headliners for the second weekend dates. If they announce The Killers on the 6th and a band like the Artics on the 8th just now, the vast majority might just buy those two individual day tickets and the "main" weekend tickets maybe wouldn't sell as well/quickly. Can't think of any other reason to hold off on the announcements? 

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/17/171206a.shtml?utm_content=bufferc72f9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hopefully this is something a bit different

Edit: Am I right in thinking this is around the same weekend as that BBC thing?

Edited by kingcrawler

10 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

If only that new event at Scone was put on by the organisers of All Points East. Scotland desperately needs something “alternative” like that.

funnily enough, Scotland had something put on the by organiser of APE.

It was called Rockness. It died a death due to lack of Scottish support.

Matey who put on events in Scotland headed south, to where there's an audience.

(in case you've missed it, Jim King is the guy in charge of APE).

Edited by eFestivals

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/17/171206a.shtml?utm_content=bufferc72f9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hopefully this is something a bit different

Edit: Am I right in thinking this is around the same weekend as that BBC thing?

Same weekend as Neighbourhood as well. :P

4 hours ago, chickenfire said:

If only that new event at Scone was put on by the organisers of All Points East. Scotland desperately needs something “alternative” like that.

Does no one think much to Electric Fields then?

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Same weekend as Neighbourhood as well. :P

Does no one think much to Electric Fields then?

I was hoping TRNSMT would book up all the Neighbourhood acts on the rest for Liam and The Killers days, but that is worrying.

I've never been but Electric Fields does look decent. It's pretty small though, about a quarter of the size of this new one going by the efests page for it. 

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I was hoping TRNSMT would book up all the Neighbourhood acts on the rest for Liam and The Killers days, but that is worrying.

I've never been but Electric Fields does look decent. It's pretty small though, about a quarter of the size of this new one going by the efests page for it. 

Aye but it seems to be a few times the size of what it started out as a few years ago, which is encouraging. Still though, I think in reality  Scotland is some way off requiring a sizeable alternative music festival after Rock Ness was binned, Connect was binned, alternative acts at T played to crickets and people aren’t flocking to EF.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Aye but it seems to be a few times the size of what it started out as a few years ago, which is encouraging. Still though, I think in reality  Scotland is some way off requiring a sizeable alternative music festival after Rock Ness was binned, Connect was binned, alternative acts at T played to crickets and people aren’t flocking to EF.

Yeah I do generally agree. Obviously I'm hoping for that but I do agree that there's not an overwhelming demand for one. While there's the odd exception, generally most big alternative bands do play a Scottish date so I don't know if there'd be enough demand for a decent sized festival alongside that as you say.

I suppose with TITP that while the token few alternative acts generally pulled small crowds, I'm not sure they're necessarily what people wanted more of. I feel like most of the complaints about TITP's lineup were more along the lines of them just wanting more general rock music rather than hoping for acts like Kraftwerk, The War on Drugs or St. Vincent.

Edited by kingcrawler

12 minutes ago, SammyD said:

Queens Of The Stone Age are confirmed for 6th of July at Mainsquare so hopefully Depeche Mode will confirm.  It needs somebody that's not played T before or Summer Sessions.  Maybe QOTSA will confirm for that instead.

QOTSA can still do the Sunday of the first weekend thankfully. Still resigned to Snow Patrol headlining a night too.

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

funnily enough, Scotland had something put on the by organiser of APE.

It was called Rockness. It died a death due to lack of Scottish support.

Matey who put on events in Scotland headed south, to where there's an audience.

(in case you've missed it, Jim King is the guy in charge of APE).

To be honest I totally forgot who organised Rockness!

It’s a shame that Rockness has died as it was a cracking festival the times I went. Although if I remember right, I’m fairly sure the last line up was atrocious.

The transport options to Rockness weren’t the best and this is a major problem with Scottish festivitals in general (see T in the Park’s recent issues).