TRNSMT Festival 2018

Muppetmark

Eh, not getting the vitriol. I agree that the headliners are weak so far, but it seems as though with the extra 2 days they're putting out more of a solid lineup across the board than shelling out for MAJOR headliners and fucking the undercard like R+L did this year.

No denying that its quite a departure from last year in terms of genre. But its not a bad thing, they're broadening the audience potential.

Then again i'm a total noob so I know fuck all. I just don't hate anyone announced yet.

Edited by SemiSweet

21 minutes ago, SemiSweet said:

Eh, not getting the vitriol. I agree that the headliners are weak so far, but it seems as though with the extra 2 days they're putting out more of a solid lineup across the board than shelling out for MAJOR headliners and fucking the undercard like R+L did this year.

No denying that its quite a departure from last year in terms of genre. But its not a bad thing, they're broadening the audience potential.

Then again i'm a total noob so I know fuck all. I just don't hate anyone announced yet.

I actually don’t know anyone who would like Jessie J, The Script and James Bay on the same line up. They’re quite clearly trying to fill the line up with any cheap acts they can get, it’s pathetic

5 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

At least with LG headlining he is playing other big outdoor shows next year that are sold out/selling well with a similar capacity to TRNSMT so it makes sense. No idea when Stereophonics last played a headline show of this size and really can't see this selling well at all.

They headlined Victorious festival this year, 65k, they're an arena band with a big back catalogue and are very popular, its just that they have never had a period in the past 20 years that they've gone away, they tour all the time, they play festivals all the time, I think if they were a US band and came over here less, they would be seen as a better option, are they any worse any less commercial than the Killers? Nope. But they're deemed fine cus they're from the US. 

Seriously they deserve to be headliner status, festivals in this country seem to think if you're a UK band you can't be booked as a headliner. Its a poor situation to be honest. Unless you're a UK act like Radiohead and Coldplay who only tour every once in a while and do London and Manchester only you can't be a UK festival headliner. Its BS. 

I will say though, the undercard is horrible. Although I can see some Script/Phonics crossover fans perhaps. 

I also understand the negativity is from where the festival looked like it was positioning itself identity wise to where it seems to be heading.

BTW im a huge Radiohead and not a huge Stereophonics fan, but I still think they deserve to be classed as a headliner. So do the Manics [who headlined Victorious the previous year alongside Noel]

18 minutes ago, mazza7 said:

I actually don’t know anyone who would like Jessie J, The Script and James Bay on the same line up. They’re quite clearly trying to fill the line up with any cheap acts they can get, it’s pathetic

I wouldn't call myself a fan of The Script or Jessie J but I'll listen to them casually. I like James Bay and Stereophonics hits would make for a good time. I guess I can see where you're coming from though. It does seem a random draw.

25 minutes ago, mazza7 said:

They all played T in the Park's main stage only two years ago. Two of those judged The Voice together!

It's absolutely fair to say that Stereophonics are a disappointing headliner for TRNSMT and that it's a shame they're stooping to family fest-lite days like this, but there's no way you could argue that this isn't a coherent bill; it's exactly the sort of thing you'd put in front of groups of people going to a park to watch Stereophonics in 2018.

1 hour ago, SemiSweet said:

The undercard so far is worse than R&L's last year. One of the two TRNSMT headliners so far was on the R&L undercard, even.

I was open to the idea of doing a day at this, if one of the days was appealing to me. It's not looking good so far. I'm going to see Liam on Sunday, and although Wolf Alice is a good booking, The Courteeners would have been enough to put me off anyway. Stereophonics are a very poor booking as a headliner. They've been subbing TITP and V Festival every few years, for as long as I can remember. They're now trying to sell day tickets, with their name on the top of the bill. They're one of the easiest bands to catch as well, they are always touring. 

It'll take an Arctic Monkeys day with a couple of good bookings underneath them, or an unexpected day like the Radiohead one last year to tempt me.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It's absolutely fair to say that Stereophonics are a disappointing headliner for TRNSMT and that it's a shame they're stooping to family fest-lite days like this, but there's no way you could argue that this isn't a coherent bill; it's exactly the sort of thing you'd put in front of groups of people going to a park to watch Stereophonics in 2018.

Bang on the money. It may be the second coming of TITP with this day, but this is only "weak" as relative to us. Two proven arena acts in there - that'll be enough hits to sway the family demographic, one would think.

That Bruno poster is an abomination of poster design though, I just want to add.

• Upvote 1

Updated lineup guess:

Stereophonics / The Script / James Bay / Jessie J / The Amazons / Fickle Friends

Liam Gallagher / The Courteeners / Wolf Alice / The Vaccines / J Hus / The Hunna / Gerry Cinnamon

Foo Fighters / Royal Blood / Haim / Nothing But Thieves / Fatherson / Vukovi

The Killers / Bastille / Chvrches / The Horrors / Declan McKenna / Lewis Capaldi

Arctic Monkeys / The XX / Franz Ferdinand / Miles Kane / Honeyblood / The Xcerts

Edited by harryomatic
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, harryomatic said:

Updated lineup guess:

Stereophonics / The Script / James Bay / Jessie J / The Amazons / Fickle Friends

Liam Gallagher / The Courteeners / Wolf Alice / The Vaccines / J Hus / The Hunna / Gerry Cinnamon

Foo Fighters / Royal Blood / Haim / Nothing But Thieves / Fatherson / Vukovi

The Killers / Bastille / Chvrches / The Horrors / Declan McKenna / Lewis Capaldi

Arctic Monkeys / The XX / Franz Ferdinand / Miles Kane / Honeyblood / The Xcerts

If you still think it's gonna be this good I think you may be mistaken. Think we could easily end up with something like this (for headliners) tho even this may be too optimistic:

Stereophonics / Liam Gallagher / The Killers / Royal Blood / Arcade Fire

Just now, Mattymooz said:

If you still think it's gonna be this good I think you may be mistaken. Think we could easily end up with something like this (for headliners) tho even this may be too optimistic:

Can't speak for Liam Gallagher, but all four of those are strong live acts, I'd say. Caught The Killers week before last in Leeds and Arcade Fire at their Sc**thorpe IOW warm up in the summer - both excellent.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I know but a man can dream. I'd be fairly pleased with those 5 with a good undercard. 

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Arcade Fire are playing the Hydro on 16 April and still haven't sold (out) the second tier, they aren't going to be headlining at Glasgow Green ten weeks later I'm afraid.

Edited by WFD

1 minute ago, WFD said:

Arcade Fire are playing the Hydro on 16 April and still haven't sold (out) the second tier, they aren't going to be headlining at Glasgow Green ten weeks later I'm afraid.

Ugh, I had thought it would have been someone like The Libertines until they got announced for late summer fests (Victorious). Maybe they could do it anyway idk

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Ugh, I had thought it would have been someone like The Libertines until they got announced for late summer fests (Victorious). Maybe they could do it anyway idk

Nah The Libertines are nowhere near big enough for this now, at least Stereophonics regularly sell out arenas. Them doing late summer wouldn't really affect it either given they're based in the UK. I still think QOTSA are very likely.

Edited by kingcrawler

11 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Nah The Libertines are nowhere near big enough for this now, at least Stereophonics regularly sell out arenas. Them doing late summer wouldn't really affect it either given they're based in the UK. I still think QOTSA are very likely.

Yeah I don't think the last one will be anything impressive. QOTSA I guess would work but I doubt they would wanna do TRNSMT one day and Finsbury the next

I think The Prodigy and Noel are obvious possibilities now, after seeing Liam and Stereophonics announced as headliners. Maybe they might be a massive one like Arctic Monkeys, but they don't really need to book a huge name, if they get the bookings across a whole day right. Liam and Courteeners are ideal for a lot of people, Stereophonics day will appeal to a lot of people. 

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

can't see Noel being on the same bill.

Really? It comes across to me more like a day gig in a field, than a normal festival. They don't even have to play the same weekend. and surely it's gonna be a bit of a problem next summer if Noel refuses to be on the same bill as Liam.