Your favourite bar at Glastonbury?

ClovenFin

36 minutes ago, donkeykong said:

Avalon Inn has always been a favourite, as has the Park Bar. This year had a really good Thursday night in the bar in Williams Green after Rhythm of the 90s - not sure what it's called but the one opposite the WG tent that has a sail-like roof. We kept saying 'we'll leave after this song' but the music was fantastic so we stayed for ages

That’s the White Rabbit that I was referring to in my earlier post, and yeah, the dj nailed it that Thursday night. 

Edited by Badlands

In order of preference this year: Cider Bus (quick one on way to / from Pyramid / Peel; Brother's Bar (or 'B' Bar as they seem to prefer to to know themselves as these days for the traditional Wednesday meet up immediately post-pitching - and no, they only do Cider, not Perry. Their 'Festival Pear' is cider with Pear Flavouring); Avalon Bar; Ridge and Furrow; Stonebridge; Bimble; that one just as you go into the Common from Circus on the left, that funny mini-bar in Piano.

6 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

In order of preference this year: Cider Bus (quick one on way to / from Pyramid / Peel; Brother's Bar (or 'B' Bar as they seem to prefer to to know themselves as these days for the traditional Wednesday meet up immediately post-pitching - and no, they only do Cider, not Perry. Their 'Festival Pear' is cider with Pear Flavouring); 

What gives you that idea? It's made out of pears*, it's Perry. And low grade Perry at that, they coined the term "pear cider" at Glastonbury because nobody knew what perry was.

The term is utter bollocks, the most insulting thing of all is that people have started to use "pear cider" to denote horrible industrial perry like Brothers or Koppaberg. Just because it's Strongbow style perry, doesn't make it cider.

It's an insult to the good stuff that comes from apples - AKA the best drink in the world.

* We'll, I think it is, unless you know something I don't! But I'm 95% sure you're wrong :P

8 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

This one at the very top of the Park. Still have no idea what it's called, but we're there on the Wednesday evening without fail.

19850928_10155069775127182_343010715_o.thumb.jpg.174e0555715b5ce2fcc1e7342c85e5f0.jpg

Was in there on Friday night, post Lemon Twigs - daft queues and no staff. I'd also been under the impression there were decent beers in there.

23 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

This one at the very top of the Park. Still have no idea what it's called, but we're there on the Wednesday evening without fail.

19850928_10155069775127182_343010715_o.thumb.jpg.174e0555715b5ce2fcc1e7342c85e5f0.jpg

13 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Was in there on Friday night, post Lemon Twigs - daft queues and no staff. I'd also been under the impression there were decent beers in there.

Tricketts bar, and the beers aren't different from the other bars really, or at least I thought there was nothing standing out. With it being a small bar with no close rivals, the queues were long at various times.

4 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

What's the bar in the middle of the Park at the bottom of the hill with the hot-tub, piano etc inside? We got in by pot luck, the security just said 'oi, you two, come in here!' as we walked past. Not sure if it's staff-only or what?

I think you're referring to the 'secret' Rabbit Hole, which was renamed as Funkingham Palace this year.

My favourite might be West Holts bar, not because it's a fabulous bar or anything but that's where Freddie and the Freeloaders regularly play. :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What gives you that idea? It's made out of pears*, it's Perry. And low grade Perry at that, they coined the term "pear cider" at Glastonbury because nobody knew what perry was.

The term is utter bollocks, the most insulting thing of all is that people have started to use "pear cider" to denote horrible industrial perry like Brothers or Koppaberg. Just because it's Strongbow style perry, doesn't make it cider.

It's an insult to the good stuff that comes from apples - AKA the best drink in the world.

* We'll, I think it is, unless you know something I don't! But I'm 95% sure you're wrong :P

I thought pear cider is made from dessert pears and perry is made from perry pears 

Was disappointed with the bar at the wood this year, last year they had draught beer and cider, plus Pimms etc. This year just some boxes of cider stacked behind the bar. Strange. I think maybe it was not finished in time?

Best for me was finding the Brooklyn lager in the T&C field this year. It was nice to feel a bit tipsy on some stronger beer after a few pints, rather than drinking many pints of piss weak carlsberg and generally needing the loo more than anything!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I guess its a bit of a definition problem then perhaps (though I'd like to see a Brothers recipe for their "Festival Pear" to see whether it really is brewed with pear syrup or apple syrup with pear flavouring. The argument has been going on a while though. Wiki says:

"CAMRA takes makers like Brothers to task, defining perry and pear cider as quite different drinks, stating that "pear cider" as made by the large industrial cidermakers is merely a pear-flavoured drink, or more specifically a cider-style drink flavoured with pear concentrate, whereas "perry" should be made by traditional methods from perry pears only.[(Brothers, Bulmers and other pear ciders are made from pear concentrate, often imported.) Others, including the industry trade National Association of Cider Makers, maintain that the terms perry and pear cider are interchangeable. Its own rules specify that perry or pear cider may contain no more than 25% apple juice."

I have 2:

- Brothers Bar: As others have said, their cider (perry) is really nice and that 7% stuff is deadly. Perfect. That and the music all night when the acts have finished mean I spend a lot of time there

- Kasbar: Spent a couple of hours in there on Thursday and had a good laugh. Standard drinks of Carlsberg or Somersby with a couple of other options but the atmosphere in there was awesome!