20 years of eFestivals

Pinhead

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/07/2017 at 8:21 PM, joeltg said:

We hold a vote on favourite area of Glastonbury. The winning area is convinced by all of efest members to chuck a little festival to mark 20yrs, and fill the fallow year void. 

I can dream, anyone live on a farm :)

now you mention it ...

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0370.JPG

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I signed on in 1998 - my account was reset in Sept 2002 when the site upgraded. Think we should mark this somehow...

Ah, that explains mine being September 2002, when I knew I'd been lurking under the surface before that. 

Thanks

I remember eFestivals in 1998. Even used to treat on the forums for a bit until I heartlessly abandoned them when they official site had their own forums (including the great Ask Infoman thread).  

Camewith my tail between my legs once they were unceremoniously shut down (can't remember when) and was glad to find lots of other refugees here. It quickly became apparent that eFestivals was the most populous on-line Glasto community so I stuck around and made myself at home.

It's probably no longer the busiest Glasto place on the Internet, but I'll very rarely sample the methodone that is Glasto Chat!

I like it here :)

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Whilst it's true that eFestivals first started its website in 1998, what a lot of people don't know is that its true origins stretch back much farther. It's an interesting story for those who'd care to listen.

In the autumn days of 1970, following a successful pop festival in Pilton, Sommerset, a group of festival-going nerds began to meet periodically in a Barnsley church hall. The meetings, known as "Ee By Gum Festivals Forum" were established to allow dweebs an outlet to air grievances relating to the deteriorating quality of each subsequent edition of what we know today as Glastonbury Festival, as well as fervently discussing strangely contrary unrealistic hopes for the line-ups and weather conditions of the next festival. 

Eyewitness reports from the early days of the forum in its original guise tell of the rousing excitement to be had when @russycarps would hold forth. Of course, even today, we in the digital age find his missives enthralling, but back then eFesters could witness firsthand the great orator bang his walking cane on the stone floor and wring his flatcap between his hands as he weeded out and berated secret Tories in attendance. Like a latter day Joe McCarthy, but with opposite leanings.

Started posting on here asking about going to Glastonbury 2003...which I never made it to, made it to 2004 and never looked back. :)

Have always enjoyed this forum, like the people who post on here.

Would be fun to see some screenshots of the forum from 1998!