Boomtown?

Neville Street

My first Boomtown and what a show! Managed to see around 12 acts I was interested in seeing, despite the Oxfam shifts which were all challenging in there own way. Great to be in an unfamiliar site where I get to find out where everything is and discover new places. Certainly got plenty of exercise walking up and down all the hills as well. Bumped into frostypaw, keplunk, Dee, Pilton Digger and other eFests people over the festival too. Still a bit ignorant as to the whole story arc which can be as deeply or as shallow to immerse yourself in as you like. Stage designs and townships were incredible, complex and detailed. Would definately go back to find all the bits I missed!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

My first Boomtown and what a show! Managed to see around 12 acts I was interested in seeing, despite the Oxfam shifts which were all challenging in there own way. Great to be in an unfamiliar site where I get to find out where everything is and discover new places. Certainly got plenty of exercise walking up and down all the hills as well. Bumped into frostypaw, keplunk, Dee, Pilton Digger and other eFests people over the festival too. Still a bit ignorant as to the whole story arc which can be as deeply or as shallow to immerse yourself in as you like. Stage designs and townships were incredible, complex and detailed. Would definately go back to find all the bits I missed!

Glad you had a good festival. I stewarded for Oxfam there two years ago.  I did my 3 shifts in the same spot. Was this your experience or did you get to move around?

28 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Tends to be November from memory. They also do a deposit scheme similar to Glastonbury

Cheers dude, I know there may be more demand this year than normal, but on a normal year are they  hard to get hold of i.e Glastonbury type mission?

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

Cheers dude, I know there may be more demand this year than normal, but on a normal year are they  hard to get hold of i.e Glastonbury type mission?

They are starting to sell out earlier each year, was a few months before the event this year I believe. I should imagine that you will be able to get one if you want one.

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

They are starting to sell out earlier each year, was a few months before the event this year I believe. I should imagine that you will be able to get one if you want one.

cheers , seems my Glasto shaped hole next year will be filled by Boom Town

13 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

cheers , seems my Glasto shaped hole next year will be filled by Boom Town

After going for my first time this year I highly recommend it. 

That is, I highly recommend buying a ticket right after I have secured one just in case they do get hard to come by ;) 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

They've never sold out quickly before - with the lack of lineup at release and it being out of the mainstream pop music thing it's appeal is limited

I think also that plenty of youngsters who go aren't very on-the-ball at getting tickets &/or struggle to get the quids together.

But I do reckon it'll sell significantly faster for next year. It sold out in around May or June this year i think. I wouldn't hang about.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think also that plenty of youngsters who go aren't very on-the-ball at getting tickets &/or struggle to get the quids together.

But I do reckon it'll sell significantly faster for next year. It sold out in around May or June this year i think. I wouldn't hang about.

I am old school , I like to get my ticket and know I have it in my sky rocket (as it were)

gives me something to look forward to now that my annual pilgrimage to  Somerset is on hiatus 

I suspect that tickets will sell much much faster for next year's BT.

I know hoards of people who usually go to Glastonbury who say it is BT for them next year.

Seems to have had rather good reviews ....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/boomtown-2017-music-and-mayhem-gives-a-welcome-break-from-reality-a7897401.html

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

for the last 5+ years or more.

Some people noticed and have been trying to tell folks a bit sooner than than just this week. :P

I genuinely don't think I would have gone had it not been for this boards enthusiasm (including yours at times!), and ended up having one of the best festivals of my life last week so thanks to all who have been bigging it up. 

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

for the last 5+ years or more.

Some people noticed and have been trying to tell folks a bit sooner than than just this week. :P

Yup, I'm a newbie :) 

Been invited there for years but couldn't turn down the Boardmaster's dollar.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

I may give this a go for next year. Just a few questions:

1. Is it normally a queing nightmare to get in? Have the organisors addressed this in a statement e.t.c?

2. How muddy is the site if it rains? Glasto muddy or Reading muddy?

3. Is the campsite far from the arena?  do they stop u taking drinks/food into the arena?

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I may give this a go for next year. Just a few questions:

1. Is it normally a queing nightmare to get in? Have the organisors addressed this in a statement e.t.c?

2. How muddy is the site if it rains? Glasto muddy or Reading muddy?

3. Is the campsite far from the arena?  do they stop u taking drinks/food into the arena?

Thanks in advance!

1. a similar queue problem next year is statistically unlikely, but disorganisation is to some extent what makes Boomtown what it is - so don't expect everything to be as smooth as it is at the smoothest fests. It might be next year of course, but I've not experienced that at boomtown (tho didn't go this year).

2. reading muddy.

3. there is no arena

Edited by eFestivals

My daughters have been going for the last 3 years and certainly return very tired, but enthusiastic about how amazing it is.  Perhaps we will have to go, but it sort of feels like a younger persons festival. We love Glastonbury, Beautiful Days (missing it right now!!), EoTR, and have been to lots of smaller ones, but it kind of feels like its aimed at a younger crowd.

Just now, Neville Street said:

My daughters have been going for the last 3 years and certainly return very tired, but enthusiastic about how amazing it is.  Perhaps we will have to go, but it sort of feels like a younger persons festival. We love Glastonbury, Beautiful Days (missing it right now!!), EoTR, and have been to lots of smaller ones, but it kind of feels like its aimed at a younger crowd.

I'd definitely say it's one for those who are right on it, and not one for those who might like a chair sometimes at a festival.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I'd definitely say it's one for those who are right on it, and not one for those who might like a chair sometimes at a festival.

Thanks Neil!!!!  Chairs are for the tent/van only, but I know what you mean. Recent years have seen me at the Cockmill, Avalon Inn, Bimble Inn at Glastonbury. It's a few years since I went anywhere near the South East corner.  Perhaps I will let others tell me how good it is and continue to enjoy less frantic events.  Need to try Green Man one year.....

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd say less than Reading muddy to be honest. I appreciate that wasn't an option though

I wasn't there this year or been there in a particularly muddy boomtown year, but I've seen that site worse than I've even seen Reading (when Homelands festival was held there).

But it's very definitely much more like a muddy Reading than it is a muddy Glastonbury, I'd say.

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I wasn't there this year or been there in a particularly muddy boomtown year, but I've seen that site worse than I've even seen Reading (when Homelands festival was held there).

But it's very definitely much more like a muddy Reading than it is a muddy Glastonbury, I'd say.

This is true. I've been to a few messy readings though. There was a Reading around 08/09 where the Thames flooded and a week before the festival began 1/3rd of the campsite was underwater. It receded significantly but there were areas of bog everywhere. I appreciate that is an extreme case but it was what came to mind when thinking of a muddy Reading.

4 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Thanks Neil!!!!  Chairs are for the tent/van only, but I know what you mean. Recent years have seen me at the Cockmill, Avalon Inn, Bimble Inn at Glastonbury. It's a few years since I went anywhere near the South East corner.  Perhaps I will let others tell me how good it is and continue to enjoy less frantic events.  Need to try Green Man one year.....

I'd say if you're not a big fan of Glasto's SE corner, then boomtown probably isn't for you overall.

That doesn't mean you couldn't get plenty out of it all the same. There's aspects that are more like that Glasto parts you mention, and there's lots to see by wandering around, so I reckon almost anyone (except those addicted to big-name indie landfill) could find enough there for one visit - but that wouldn't necessarily mean they'd want to go back again.  

Just now, Tommy101 said:

This is true. I've been to a few messy readings though. There was a Reading around 08/09 where the Thames flooded and a week before the festival began 1/3rd of the campsite was underwater. It receded significantly but there were areas of bog everywhere. I appreciate that is an extreme case but it was what came to mind when thinking of a muddy Reading.

that year of homelands there was a river flowing around the dip at the edges of the bowl.... and they'd sited the big tops on that dip. :lol: