Boomtown?

Neville Street

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So is it actually going well now everyone is in? Count me amongst the interested observers with an eye to Boomtown 2018.

the only screaming I've seen in the last 32 hours is parents being outraged on behalf of their kids - tho I'm pretty sure that's driven by those parents and not the kids.

As the missus pointed out to me, those parents are screaming "unsafe" ... when being in those queues is probably the safest thing their kids will do all weekend. :lol:

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

queues as bad hit Glastonbury in 2016. I doubt anyone said the same for that.

And if we go back into Glasto's past, stuff like that was the standard rather than unusual - and yet glasto still became the daddy.

Yea I appreciate that old son but I go through disability entry so I've not seen them that bad...... I'm not good with crowds so 10 hours would do it for me lol... 

People queue up for Glastonbury all night but that's on there own terms.. I realise that boomtown has had a bad time leading up to opening but apparently there searches were as cause of some of the delay... SOME..... But I was told that although there were better security there weren't MORE security staff to do the job.. 

There all in now tho and the weather seems to be OK till Monday.. Let's hope that they all have a great weekend Init 

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So, those of you who went - was it good?

Not getting booked for Boardmasters this year turned out to be a massive result.

Boomtown for me from now on. Just superb. Having seen what I saw this year, I'm absolutely sure that tickets will be like gold dust next year as there is no Glastonbury.

EDIT

If any of you guys are wondering how to replace (OK, It can't be replaced, but next best thing) Glastonbury next year I really do suggest BT. For anyone who hasn't been, it is a dreamland. If you are a cynic you could call it Disneyland for adults on drugs but saying that , despite what I expected, there seemed to be less drug use than in the SE corner at Glastonbury.

I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of creativity that's gone into it, the fact that there's an interesting narrative going on (which I now want to find out more about), and the way it's actually 3 festivals close to each other. Whistler's Green (where I'll be next year) is like a brilliant version of the old Big Green Gatherings.

Back in the 20th century, people would go to festivals, take lots of LSD and create imaginary worlds in their minds. But now it's like people have got some wood & scaffolding, and actually built their imaginary worlds at the festival. 

Hopefully see some of you there. 

Toilets were all excellent bar a couple of rows, food and drink on a par price and quality wise with Glastonbury. There is even a free daily newspaper.

One thing to mention is that there are numerous hills of death linking different parts of the festival. Although my legs are now killing me I actually rather enjoyed them.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Really pleased the weather held off for you james.... Most of the lot I go to Glastonbury with were there and my brother had a rig somewhere in the China town area.. Means nothing to me lol.. If I go next year it's be with him and the void crew but seeing those queues etc have not made me feel like jumping at the prospect of going.. 

What will you be doing there next year old son.. Also can you give us an idea of your next art project.. G

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2017 at 7:54 AM, eFestivals said:

queues as bad hit Glastonbury in 2016. I doubt anyone said the same for that.

Also, we queued (in traffic) for 9 hours for Latitude 2015. Drove straight in the following year. Organisers learn from experience.

24 minutes ago, Waapster said:

Also, we queued (in traffic) for 9 hours for Latitude 2015. Drove straight in the following year. Organisers learn from experience.

It took me 9 hours to get to Latitude in 2014 so they didn't learn straight away.

12 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Was the weather better in 2016?

It was sunny both years. They hired a former copper in '16 specifically to manage the traffic. We followed a route which added about 10 miles to the journey but never stopped until we were through the gates.

29 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I know some of the people that are involved and i know the organisers are absolutely mortified by the delays on the Thursday. I'm pretty sure they'll get that sorted before next year.

It, and the early finishing times (which I understand is probably out of their control) were my only gripes this year. As it appeared to be the only real blunder this year I'm sure it will be their main improvement focus point for next. 

33 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I know some of the people that are involved and i know the organisers are absolutely mortified by the delays on the Thursday. I'm pretty sure they'll get that sorted before next year.

If that hung entirely true this year wouldn't have happened as it did, cos there was similar couldn't-organise-a-piss-up-in-a-brewery aspects last year, with the organisation denigrating rather than improving in recent years in my own experience/knowledge.

It's sortable, but they've got to want to sort it rather than paying more interest to other aspects.

I get the impression there's too many mates involved in positions they shouldn't be in, but i might be entirely wrong with that.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If that hung entirely true this year wouldn't have happened as it did, cos there was similar couldn't-organise-a-piss-up-in-a-brewery aspects last year, with the organisation denigrating rather than improving in recent years in my own experience/knowledge.

It's sortable, but they've got to want to sort it rather than paying more interest to other aspects.

I get the impression there's too many mates involved in positions they shouldn't be in, but i might be entirely wrong with that.

It was a wet year, which is always challenging for any festival. When you consider that they haven't really had a bad year weather wise, i didn't think they really did that bad a job. Yes, Thursdays queues were a fuck up, but as i mentioned, they'll address that.

I know you had issues with the campervan field last year, but from friends that stayed in the campervan field this year, they had no gripes at all, so they are working on things. 

Can't comment on the "too many mates involved" comment. I haven't looked at the organisation structure and links to each other to forge an opinion on that!

19 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I know you had issues with the campervan field last year

nope,. it wasn't that, it was the exposure of poor organisation in plenty of places, and little interest in trying to resolve and reduce problems that were easy enough to do if there was the inclination.

As I say, it's sortable, but they've got to want to sort it. I don't really doubt that what happened this year will have given them the kick they need to try and do better, but it was your "I'm pretty sure they'll get that sorted before next year" I was questioning.

If they'd addressed disorganisational aspects from last year then there'd have been less of the same this year, instead of some problems (both reported and unreported) growing rather than reducing (and some of those absolutely nothing to do with the weather).

Edited by eFestivals