NYC Downlow

bamber

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, magliad said:

Men and women could shag in their tents, tucked away somewhere else in the site with the only risk being that they'd get caught by a group who would shout "Wheeeey! Go on son!". Whereas two men shagging would almost certainly result in abuse or at the very least some comments of disgust, so it gives gay men somewhere to go if that's what they want from the festival.

This is an unfair assumption, and from times I've been cuddly with guys not actually a thing at all. 

And isn't that a joy rather than as usual going to hide in some little dark corner as if nothing had changed in so many years?

16 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Dave_c.

You didn't actually go did you?

I didn't this year, but went in the past to see what it's all about. I have no issue with LGBT at all, my nephew is gay and so are two of my friends, the only issue I have with it is the behaviours that go on that would not be acceptable anywhere else.  That's it in a nutshell really.

8 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I didn't this year, but went in the past to see what it's all about. I have no issue with LGBT at all, my nephew is gay and so are two of my friends, the only issue I have with it is the behaviours that go on that would not be acceptable anywhere else.  That's it in a nutshell really.

'Some of my best friends are black...'

7 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I didn't this year, but went in the past to see what it's all about. I have no issue with LGBT at all, my nephew is gay and so are two of my friends, the only issue I have with it is the behaviours that go on that would not be acceptable anywhere else.  That's it in a nutshell 

You're a c**t.

In a nutshell like.

2 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

This thread is making me regret never having been to NYC Downlow. It sounds incredible.

Curious why?

Best friendliest place ever/best music ever is what people say about everywhere at glasto....? From the times I went just go to any gay club in your local town and it's basically that with a more interesting exterior and a honking queue

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

Curious why?

Best friendliest place ever/best music ever is what people say about everywhere at glasto....? From the times I went just go to any gay club in your local town and it's basically that with a more interesting exterior and a honking queue

I'm sure that's the case, but you could argue that the Acoustic Stage is the same as my local folk club or the Other Stage is Indie Night at the O2... 

I'll add it to the list. Along with climbing the Ribbon Tower, and we all know how well I've done on achieving that particular item on my to-do list! ;)

17 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

You're a c**t.

In a nutshell like.

Brilliant. Ok so I'll contact the Eavii and ask them if I can have an area where i can promote heterosexuals, woman can prance about on stage naked, I can ask woman to get their bits out on the way in for a little feel and photograph, and have a room out back for people to have a Shag. See how far that gets.

5 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Along with climbing the Ribbon Tower, and we all know how well I've done on achieving that particular item on my to-do list! ;)

I think it's all fake and the queue goes nowhere, they just make people stand there all day for fun! Bastards. 

Edited by frostypaw

26 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Accusing someone of being a rapist is extremely serious stuff. Very wrong choice of terminology, yes.

I didn't accuse anyone of being a rapist, I was using the term to emphasise my point. Calm down

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

So you got raped on the way in then? If a woman gets a slap on the ass from a bloke in the crowd he is a rapist, but it's ok to tug on someone's cock without permission then try and take a video of it.....

I attempted to make a similar point in another thread and was routinely dismissed so I wouldnt bother! 

49 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

This is an unfair assumption, and from times I've been cuddly with guys not actually a thing at all. 

And isn't that a joy rather than as usual going to hide in some little dark corner as if nothing had changed in so many years?

As I said, NYC Downlow in accurate replica of gay disco clubs in New York from the 1970s - those clubs included dark rooms. Dark rooms aren't a thing of the past, they exist in other well known clubs such as Berghain.

Personally the idea of shagging anyone at a festival 4 days in is unappealing but each to their own, I'm not here to dictate what people can do but I'm more than happy to defend people doing exactly what they want to do (as long as it's not harming anyone). If it wasn't for this thread, most people wouldn't even know it existed, I reckon a large portion of people who go in NYCD don't even register it really.

I'm sure if you do a bit of digging the founders of NYCD will explain why they chose to include the dark rooms.

16 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Brilliant. Ok so I'll contact the Eavii and ask them if I can have an area where i can promote heterosexuals, woman can prance about on stage naked, I can ask woman to get their bits out on the way in for a little feel and photograph, and have a room out back for people to have a Shag. See how far that gets.

The difference being, of course, that heterosexuals don't have a long history of being persecuted just for being who they are, so they've never needed a safe place to go. That is what is being celebrated in NYC Downlow. Loud, proud, unashamed and fu**ing outrageous, and if you don't like it, fu** off. That's the general vibe  

It's a phrase I hate as a rule but I think it's apt here. Check your privilege. 

27 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Dave... you weren't there man!

8 minutes ago, magliad said:

If it wasn't for this thread, most people wouldn't even know it existed

I didn't actually read this year's programme at all, but it was promoted with a half page in the last one IIRC

When I did dig the best I could find was they wanted to see if they could.

Edited by frostypaw

so as the law stands it is illegal to touch a woman without consent , with all the everyone is equal mantra at GF then why is this  acceptable to do the same thing to a man ? 

I didn't know about this area thankfully as I have no problem with LGBT but to ask anyone male or female to do some of the things to gain entry this is hideous 

I don't care whether your gay, straight or whatever , humiliation is wrong  and I'm not sure how others think this is an acceptable thing to do.

Back in Oxford where I'm from originally we have had many LGBT bars especially in one certain area and  everyone was treated with respect whatever your persuasion . They'd be horrified at this and why it should be acceptable just because is completely baffling to me 

3 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

so as the law stands it is illegal to touch a woman without consent , with all the everyone is equal mantra at GF then why is this  acceptable to do the same thing to a man ? 

I didn't know about this area thankfully as I have no problem with LGBT but to ask anyone male or female to do some of the things to gain entry this is hideous 

I don't care whether your gay, straight or whatever , humiliation is wrong  and I'm not sure how others think this is an acceptable thing to do.

Back in Oxford where I'm from originally we have had many LGBT bars especially in one certain area and  everyone was treated with respect whatever your persuasion . They'd be horrified at this and why it should be acceptable just because is completely baffling to me 

I actually pretty much agree with this.  The idea of an LGBT venue or a dark room I'm totally cool with, but telling people to get their dick out is just as minging as the kind of stuff that went on at the Underground Piano Bar last year.