NYC Downlow

bamber

There's a lot wrong with that. 

1) You may see it as stereotypical and want nothing to do with it but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't live their lives in a mutual way that does not harm anyone. Nor should they stop because some gay people are afraid of being lumped in with them by prejudiced people. You're not every gay man, and every gay man is not you. 

2) It's an inherently political space that is also a massive party - like the places it tries to replicate. 

3) I fully agree about Stonewall, but you've already said you don't want a "gay" field, would this not be some way towards just that?  

4) Most gay people at the festival are somewhere else. So your worry is really misplaced. 

5) The time may have passed for you, but not everyone has that privilege. 

By pushing your expectations of what constitutes the right way to be gay so that you can enjoy what you perceive to be equality in a prejudiced society you are betraying what people fought for. It's hypocrisy. 

Edited by morethanaphelan

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, morethanaphelan said:

By pushing your expectations of what constitutes the right way to be gay so that you can enjoy what you perceive to be equality in a prejudiced society you are betraying what people fought for. It's hypocrisy. 

Where are my expections of "the right way to be gay" in there anywhere? I've never assumed I'm every gay man that's such a strange thing to say isn't it? Where have I said all the gays are there? There's a lot of very strange things in your post that I've not said - it kinda gets my back up to be honest as I'm going to be destined to be on the back foot if you're going to invent some kind of bogeyman. Please show me if I have said any of those things, I don't mean to for sure.

I just want to be treated equally by other people - and now you're a gay person telling me I don't deserve that? That I should embrace their prejudices and live up to them and decide that's freedom?

5 hours ago, Bisque said:

So if I brought the missus to NYCD & fancied having it off in the dark room that would be ok too? Plenty of space?

I think there were about 4 or 5 cubicles (I think, cause as the name suggests it was very dark), with curtains to cover them and nothing to say it's gay only. So fill your boots!

8 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I think there were about 4 or 5 cubicles (I think, cause as the name suggests it was very dark), with curtains to cover them and nothing to say it's gay only. So fill your boots!

Don't know why but I've always pictured it more as just a big empty room with people ploughing all over it in the open. This sounds far more civilised/less exciting.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Don't know why but I've always pictured it more as just a big empty room with people ploughing all over it in the open. This sounds far more civilised/less exciting.

When you're 18, may I suggest that you visit XXL Birmingham or London, or Sweatbox Dublin's 'The Bear Pit' for a free-for-all experience?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

That's kinda what I thought it would have been. I was expecting a kind of nightclub but in pitch black but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, I can't even remember if the PA system was hooked up into the dark room. Within the cubicles there is a dim red light so you can just about see once you're in one. 

5 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Where are my expections of "the right way to be gay" in there anywhere? I've never assumed I'm every gay man that's such a strange thing to say isn't it? Where have I said all the gays are there? There's a lot of very strange things in your post that I've not said - it kinda gets my back up to be honest as I'm going to be destined to be on the back foot if you're going to invent some kind of bogeyman. Please show me if I have said any of those things, I don't mean to for sure.

I just want to be treated equally by other people - and now you're a gay person telling me I don't deserve that? That I should embrace their prejudices and live up to them and decide that's freedom?

No. I'm telling you that you should be allowed to live how you see fit and without fear. But so should the people who you have constantly labelled a comedy sideshow and stereotypes several times.

26 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

That's kinda what I thought it would have been. I was expecting a kind of nightclub but in pitch black but it wasn't like that at all. In fact, I can't even remember if the PA system was hooked up into the dark room. Within the cubicles there is a dim red light so you can just about see once you're in one. 

Yaaaaassss

1 hour ago, morethanaphelan said:

No. I'm telling you that you should be allowed to live how you see fit and without fear. But so should the people who you have constantly labelled a comedy sideshow and stereotypes several times.

I'm not the one labelling them that, I'm really not at all sure how you're at all confused about that at all - my objection has been the demanding that this is a core part of being gay, when it's not as we've heard from straight folk who like this kinda thing too. It's nothing to do with being gay at all, just part of being human

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

I'm not the one labelling them that, I'm really not at all sure how you're at all confused about that at all - my objection has been the demanding that this is a core part of being gay, when it's not as we've heard from straight folk who like this kinda thing too. It's nothing to do with being gay at all, just part of being human

Excellent, so we can agree that it's satisfying a core human need in a small part of a large festival - proving once again that Glastonbury does a great job of providing every experience possible. 

We can also give a nod to NYC Downlow for providing such a brilliant and exciting (subjective, but it's what I think) replication of a seedy nightclub which is inclusive to all while celebrating and taking ownership of the term queer. 

Great news. 

59 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

So in the dark room are these cubicles private so only you and your partner(s) can see or are they like 3 walls so everyone can see?

If it's the former then that's shit and there should be a big open space where we can all form a man train

It's the latter. 

Well I am not easily offended, however early in the festival when I happen to pop in the sight of a middle age man trying to retrieve Kinder eggs from his backside was a sight to behold

:)

I didn't actually go in this year as those queues are not for me. Which is the part I don't like about the place

6 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Well I am not easily offended, however early in the festival when I happen to pop in the sight of a middle age man trying to retrieve Kinder eggs from his backside was a sight to behold

:)

I didn't actually go in this year as those queues are not for me. Which is the part I don't like about the place

@russycarps

29 minutes ago, evannn said:

Out of curiosity, what's the hygiene like? Do people tend to clean up after themselves or is the onus on you to tolerate/appreciate any leftovers 

Usually it's tolerating any leftovers.

On 11/07/2017 at 8:24 AM, FloorFiller said:

Having never made it to NYC downlow and reading this thread i thought exactly the same. Dont know what the fuss is about then! :ph34r:

Edited by Tyonks

I have something very controversial that I would like to say about the NYC Downlow ...

I think that the stage should be switched so that it is on the opposite side (where the entrance is now), that way there is a slope downwards towards the stage instead of upwards 

I hope this does not upset anyone.

4 minutes ago, Time Being said:

I have something very controversial that I would like to say about the NYC Downlow ...

I think that the stage should be switched so that it is on the opposite side (where the entrance is now), that way there is a slope downwards towards the stage instead of upwards 

Exactly the same issue in the Acoustic Tent. Slopes up to the stage; short people at the back can't see.

(I wonder what the Venn diagram is of people who visited both venues at this year's festival?)

5 minutes ago, Time Being said:

I've never been but would like to register my outrage.