NYC Downlow

bamber

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I actually pretty much agree with this.  The idea of an LGBT venue or a dark room I'm totally cool with, but telling people to get their dick out is just as minging as the kind of stuff that went on at the Underground Piano Bar last year.

Yeah I agree with that too, I didn't see any of it happening but if it did then there is an issue. Must've been a small group doing it because it definitely wasn't the norm. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I actually pretty much agree with this.  The idea of an LGBT venue or a dark room I'm totally cool with, but telling people to get their dick out is just as minging as the kind of stuff that went on at the Underground Piano Bar last year.

I just think it's seedy and I'd say majority of the general LGBT society would agree as well.    If this was at some other fest with another part of society they'd be bloody uproar.. hope they had plenty of sexual health promo posters everywhere..can you imagine this being reported in the press ? they'd have a bloody field day 

Its quite funny that most of the people complaining about the darkroom wouldn't have even known about all the brutal fucking going on behind their backs if it wasn't for this thread. 

The getting your dick/tits out for entry thing is a bit different, mind. Especially when it's round the corner from the female-only bar which has been created in part because of stuff exactly like that. 

3 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I just think it's seedy and I'd say majority of the general LGBT society would agree as well.    If this was at some other fest with another part of society they'd be bloody uproar.. hope they had plenty of sexual health promo posters everywhere..can you imagine this being reported in the press ? they'd have a bloody field day 

Similar did happen at the Underground Piano Bar last year, nothing to do with LGBT, and there was the same amount of criticism, if not a bit less.

7 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

so as the law stands it is illegal to touch a woman without consent , with all the everyone is equal mantra at GF then why is this  acceptable to do the same thing to a man ? 

I didn't know about this area thankfully as I have no problem with LGBT but to ask anyone male or female to do some of the things to gain entry this is hideous 

I don't care whether your gay, straight or whatever , humiliation is wrong  and I'm not sure how others think this is an acceptable thing to do.

Back in Oxford where I'm from originally we have had many LGBT bars especially in one certain area and  everyone was treated with respect whatever your persuasion . They'd be horrified at this and why it should be acceptable just because is completely baffling to me 

But Baby, you never got your dick or your tits out to get entry to a place you never went to so why the Kevin Costner speeches on morality about somewhere you've never been and plan never to go to?

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

Curious why?

Best friendliest place ever/best music ever is what people say about everywhere at glasto....? From the times I went just go to any gay club in your local town and it's basically that with a more interesting exterior and a honking queue

Manchester's gay quarter is unfortunately nothing like that (well the places I've been), they all just play cheesy shite like Gaga or Spice Girls. None of the gay clubs I've been here play house/techno

13 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

But that's the point. It's supposed to be a replication of a seedy dirty night club. They've hit the brief 100%

By going in you're signing up to be part of it. (Not the dick grabbing, that's not ok) 

I went into NYC not to watch the LGBT in their club, I went in to listen to the music - in the same way our group went to the gay centred clubs in Manchester's village early 2000's because they hosted the best hardhouse music. I hope people didnt go in to take the piss. The queues were a joke though. A green friend asked to go in the dark room, had to explain what could be happening in there, he said he didnt believe what he had read about the going ons in the Berlin clubs...I assured him it was true.

10 minutes ago, themuel said:

But that's the point. It's supposed to be a replication of a seedy dirty night club. They've hit the brief 100%

By going in you're signing up to be part of it. (Not the dick grabbing, that's not ok) 

and that makes it OK? even if the entry humiliation happened only once it's once too many... and why is it hidden?.. you could recreate the mafia run Chicago bars of the 60's and 70's doesn't mean to say someone has to get shot 

19 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Manchester's gay quarter is unfortunately nothing like that (well the places I've been), they all just play cheesy shite like Gaga or Spice Girls. None of the gay clubs I've been here play house/techno

Certainly clubs in the village that play dance music. Can't name them but many also play the cheesy crap

many moons ago when I did frequent bars with girl friends we invariably headed for the gay bars as we got more respect there than in some of the cattle markets in the centre of town 

Great for a bit of girly banter , music was great for a sing along and was always 100 percent safe... this was late 70's early 80's 

I've not known them to be like what this place appears to be.

Just spoke to my youngest and asked her if she went with her friends as one couple are in a civil marriage.  She said they had a look but wasn't for them , 

8 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

and that makes it OK? even if the entry humiliation happened only once it's once too many... and why is it hidden?.. you could recreate the mafia run Chicago bars of the 60's and 70's doesn't mean to say someone has to get shot 

The post you quoted clearly says that I'm not ok with the entry humiliation. That is seemingly a minority ruining it and needs dealing with. 

But the rest of it, yeah it does make it ok. None of it is illegal, just not in line with your values. They're replicating something which made people feel uncomfortable, and look what a good job they did. 

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What was the Piano Bar Stuff?

2 minutes ago, themuel said:

The post you quoted clearly says that I'm not ok with the entry humiliation. That is seemingly a minority ruining it and needs dealing with. 

But the rest of it, yeah it does make it ok. None of it is illegal, just not in line with your values. They're replicating something which made people feel uncomfortable, and look what a good job they did. 

I just don't really think it's necessary , why would you want an area to make people feel uncomfortable ? it just puts a certain section of a community in a bad light .  Like I said my daughters friends weren't oK with it as they thought it put the LGBT community even further back to have it hidden and made into some sort of freak show 

Just seems not a wise choice especially if some of the stories of gaining entry are true... put into another festival with another section of a minority group and I'm pretty sure views would be different 

36 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Does Manchester still have Homoelectric? Went there with mates a few times in the late 00's and loved it.

8 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

many moons ago when I did frequent bars with girl friends we invariably headed for the gay bars as we got more respect there than in some of the cattle markets in the centre of town 

Great for a bit of girly banter , music was great for a sing along and was always 100 percent safe... this was late 70's early 80's 

I've not known them to be like what this place appears to be.

Just spoke to my youngest and asked her if she went with her friends as one couple are in a civil marriage.  She said they had a look but wasn't for them , 

But Baby, you never went, you've never been and have no plans to ever go and therefore you have no idea what the fuck you're actually talking about.  

Just now, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

But Baby, you never went, you've never been and have no plans to ever go and therefore you have no idea what the fuck you're actually talking about.  

nope I'm only going by what others have quoted ... are they wrong ? 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does Manchester still have Homoelectric? Went there with mates a few times in the late 00's and loved it.

Was a frequent thing in my early days in Manchester (around 5 years ago), used to be posters for it everywhere but not so much anymore.

Last one I seen was a one off event at the Mantra Warehouse I think. Definitely doesn't seem as big as it was.

Then again I never went, this is based entirely on the advertising...

Edit: just checked the facebook page and there seems to be an event every 2 or so months at Hidden. Guess it's doing fine then as that's a decent sized venue

Edited by jonodillieono