NYC Downlow

bamber

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Men fucking men, women fucking women, men fucking women and women fucking men. It's a totally inclusive dark room. Did you not find this to be the case when you went there?  

Or are you outraged about something you never went to and actually know nothing about?

You're missing my point. The point I am making is that this dark room would never be allowed next to the Other Stage or pyramid would it? If there was one at Reading, for example, that was frequented by Chavs to bang each other whilst off their faces on concoctions of drugs it would get blasted on this forum and in the media; but because it is in an LGBT area people turn a blind eye for fear of being branded homophobic etc. I'm all for equality etc but I think it's being taken advantage of to a degree these days, not just in sexuality but other areas too.

19 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

You're missing my point. The point I am making is that this dark room would never be allowed next to the Other Stage or pyramid would it? If there was one at Reading, for example, that was frequented by Chavs to bang each other whilst off their faces on concoctions of drugs it would get blasted on this forum and in the media; but because it is in an LGBT area people turn a blind eye for fear of being branded homophobic etc. I'm all for equality etc but I think it's being taken advantage of to a degree these days, not just in sexuality but other areas too.

So you never went then, did you?

23 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

So, you're saying societal norms mean that straight people aren't allowed to do something that's their business and  nobody else's, but gay people are?

To me, the problem in that situation isn't the freedoms afforded to the LGBT community.

2 hours ago, frostypaw said:

That's not great. I felt it was more like the darker bits of gay life turned into another freakshow rather than the lighter comedy feel when it first appeared - now come see the craaaazy gays - they're not like you! Peek at their strange ways....

I did get the feeling that a few thought that me and my wife were only in there to gawp. We genuinely weren't.

Another time I'll need my tin hat but really?... why should a LGBT corner be exempt from common decency.. couldn't  they with until they get back to their tent ??

If that happened in some where else their would be public outrage , we are not animals where surroundings don't matter 

My question to those who object is thus:

What difference does the existence of a dark room at NYC Downlow have on your festival, or your lives in general?

I'm not gay, but what other people get up to is entirely up to them, so who am I to judge? Makes precisely zero difference to my life.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Just now, babyblade41 said:

because it's advertised as a family friendly festival.. if I wanted to get down with my partner I wouldn't do it in view... not all of us know what each corner of Glastonbury means 

Ahahaha yeah I hate when I'm bringing my kids around that Glasto to see the Coldplays and they wonder off and accidentally end up in a dark rook in NYC Downlow.

4 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

because it's advertised as a family friendly festival.. if I wanted to get down with my partner I wouldn't do it in view... not all of us know what each corner of Glastonbury means 

The south east corner is categorically not advertised as family friendly. It's a late night zone and if you go there unaware of that then you've massively misunderstood the situation. Also under 18s aren't allowed in there, I've been in the queue where people have been ID'd. 

You wouldn't get a child anywhere near the place, and if you did then it's on you, not the festival. 

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

except several people on this forum confirming that it happened to them or friends of theirs....

I'm talking about my experience. Not once in ten years of it being my preferred late night area have I seen that happen. 

8 minutes ago, themuel said:

The south east corner is categorically not advertised as family friendly. It's a late night zone and if you go there unaware of that then you've massively misunderstood the situation. Also under 18s aren't allowed in there, I've been in the queue where people have been ID'd. 

You wouldn't get a child anywhere near the place, and if you did then it's on you, not the festival. 

and that makes it OK ? double standards ..a ticket is the same price for all if exclusion apply then they should be noted 

7 hours ago, MJP said:

I love the place but it does frustrate me that it's an LGBT venue that's mostly rammed with people who have no idea it's an LGBT space. Especially when the reentry queue gets too big to bother with.

Now this is a part that genuinely interests me.  While it replicates the old NY gay clubs, is it specifically an LGBT space? Given that you can get away with wearing and being with pretty much whatever you want at Glastonbury, I'd have thought that the whole thing is an LGBT friendly place.

Not a critique (yet ;) ) but certainly a question.  Is a designated LGBT space a thing at Glastonbury? And does it need to be? That's what would make me feel like a tourist, or intruding somehow.  Which is a shame because, if the day finally comes when I can stay awake long enough to go and properly hit the SE corner, then NYC Downlow is the only one that has music that appeals to me!

Edited by Quark

Just now, babyblade41 said:

and that makes it OK ? double standards ..a ticket is the same price for all if exclusion apply then they should be noted 

Bloody hell you can be a fun sponge.  Yes that does make it OK.  Exclusions apply as you can't buy your kids booze or cigarettes, unless you want that clearly noted as well?  If you're of a mind to take your kids into the clubs in the SE corner in the wee hours then ticket exclusions are the least of your worries.

Just now, Quark said:

Bloody hell you can be a fun sponge.  Yes that does make it OK.  Exclusions apply as you can't buy your kids booze or cigarettes, unless you want that clearly noted as well?  If you're of a mind to take your kids into the clubs in the SE corner in the wee hours then ticket exclusions are the least of your worries.

then you should have a reduction if you can't use all areas 

2 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

then you should have a reduction if you can't use all areas 

Quite right. I want 13 Glastonburys worth of rebate for never having been in the kids field (due to not being a kid) or the acoustic tent (due to not being fucking boring).

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Now this is a part that genuinely interests me.  While it replicates the old NY gay clubs, is it specifically an LGBT space? Given that you can get away with wearing and being with pretty much whatever you want at Glastonbury, I'd have thought that the whole thing is an LGBT friendly place.

Not a critique (yet ;) ) but certainly a question.  Is a designated LGBT space a thing at Glastonbury? And does it need to be? That's what would make me feel like a tourist, or intruding somehow.

This is what bugs me. Earlier glastos were a revelation in the acceptance of the gay thing right across site and gay folk mixing with everyone happily. Post NYCD it's like someone dropped a magnet and the ghetto that was so nice to escape became a tourist attraction right where it was nice to escape from all that.

Used to have conversations about how nice that was, now it's just about when to go down the downlow and that's it. That's what they can do every single weekend... why do it again?

Still can't stop from giggling at the "i want a ticket price reduction" line there though - that's like someone doing a cartoon impression of a tory position "Well i'm not using the NHS so why should I pay for it" thing

Edited by frostypaw