Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

During the 80’s, political speeches on the Pyramid were a regular thing, and were pretty much all left-leaning - such as the campaign for nuclear disarmament, to which some of the proceeds went at the time. Ultimately, it’s the Eaviis’ festival and they can invite who they wish to speak. Whilst I’m sure the farm is in prime Tory heartlands, and no doubt a proportion of the crowd are Tory voters, I can’t see them giving Theresa May or Boris Johnson any publicity anytime soon. The bottom line: if you don’t agree with what the festival stands for, then maybe it isn’t for you.

I was just thinking exactly the same, having been at the pyramid in 1986 when some folks climbed up the speaker stack during the Housemartins set and hung a banner about Wapping and News International, which as I recall was very positively encouraged by both the crowd and Paul Heaton.

Edited by clarkete

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I mean, literally, no, it isn’t, although I do understand why such a high proportion of attendees have this misconception. The festival could do themselves no harm by insisting the BBC broadcast some of the speeches in the political and activist fields, that’d soon change things.

So you purposely go just to express your political opinion?

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I was just thinking exactly the same, having been at the pyramid in 1986 when some folks climbed up the speaker stack during the Housemartins set and hung and banner about Wapping and News International, which as I recall was very positively encourage by both the crowd and Paul Heaton.

I watched that Housemartins set. Forgotten about the banner, but seems in keeping with those times.

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I watched that Housemartins set. Forgotten about the banner, but seems in keeping with those times.

It's a measure of how times have changed that you can find a recording or two from their set, but hardly any photos of them on t'internet from that year.

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I go for a whole range of reasons, when I can get a ticket ? I wouldn’t feel right for leaving on Monday morning having spent no time engaged in that side of the fest though, no.

I get what you are saying but it's all matter of prospective and how deeply you wish to engage. I personally would like to be at a place where everything can be discussed openly amongst all the different parties,the biggest problem with politics in general is the whole idea of I'm right and your wrong,I think we should listen to each other and be open minded to different views. Whilst I too look at the political statement and areas the festival has to offer its all about what you take away from it,a lot of the things there I see I agree with, then on the other hand there's a lot I don't. I personally don't think that anyone should be judged by what party they support. We should live in a world where we can all have and express our beliefs and be embraced for it but unfortunately there is a lot of bigotry in the world and that's why I'd rather leave the heavy politics at the door

8 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

i think it's more a case of recharging your activism by hearing like minded people

Aye, there are a whole lot of different things you can get out of the non-performance fields but it is very nice and stress-relieving to just be be able to sit and amicably discuss the way of the world with level-headed people, especially in the current climate where everybody in the ‘real world’ is shouting and nobody is listening.

Just now, glastolover19 said:

But maybe that's the problem then,only hearing from like minded people

i mean like minded, in the Rose-Colored-Boy sense engaging in amicable discussion,  as someone from Transition/David Fleming school of economics I'm unlikely to find many who agree with me in Leftfield.

3 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I get what you are saying but it's all matter of prospective and how deeply you wish to engage. I personally would like to be at a place where everything can be discussed openly amongst all the different parties,the biggest problem with politics in general is the whole idea of I'm right and your wrong,I think we should listen to each other and be open minded to different views. Whilst I too look at the political statement and areas the festival has to offer its all about what you take away from it,a lot of the things there I see I agree with, then on the other hand there's a lot I don't. I personally don't think that anyone should be judged by what party they support. We should live in a world where we can all have and express our beliefs and be embraced for it but unfortunately there is a lot of bigotry in the world and that's why I'd rather leave the heavy politics at the door

Obviously that’s an informed choice you’re entitled to make and I respect that. It only becomes a ‘problem’ as such when people are so ignorant about what the festival is and stands for as to actively bemoan things like Radiohead slagging off Theresa May and then Jeremy Corbyn appearing on the Pyramid Stage the following day, that was very sad to see.

9 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

But maybe that's the problem then,only hearing from like minded people

All year round we have to put up with the right wing press and, at best, centrist TV media, as well as disinterested work colleagues and bigots. its nice to spend a few days with like minded people. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Obviously that’s an informed choice you’re entitled to make and I respect that. It only becomes a ‘problem’ as such when people are so ignorant about what the festival is and stands for as to actively bemoan things like Radiohead slagging off Theresa May and then Jeremy Corbyn appearing on the Pyramid Stage the following day, that was very sad to see.

Tbh I think it's generational thing these days,whilst I have no leanings to any one particular party I do care about the impact politics has on the world whereas the current"youngsters" don't(I'm not generalizing just based on my own experiences) the thing I find the absolute worst about politics is the idea of I'm right and your wrong. For there to be any real progress in any way of life is by listening to each other and instead of just shooting down an idea because it came from the other side,it should be listened too and considered instead of blindly dismissed because it's from the other side. You should be able to discuss things without judgement and you might not agree with them but then again in my world we would all be equals and all ideas would be combined

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

All year round we have to put up with the right wing press and, at best, centrist TV media, as well as disinterested work colleagues and bigots. its nice to spend a few days with like minded people. 

I agree, I'm all for 'learning from each other' and 'hearing both sides of the argument', but when you're a leftie from a family of conservatives and work in an office with a lot of opinionated brexit supporters, it is nice to spend a few days among people with a similar mind set as myself.

The real question is why can't tories endure a whole 5 days where their ideology doesn't have the same platform and dominance as it does for the other 360. What do you need? Chocolates and flowers? A kiss? 

If I was a creationist and went to the blue dot festival, why would I then moan that it wasn't very welcoming to creationists and maybe they should dial back on the science. 

You're welcome as a person but don't expect your ideology to have the same platform it does in the outside world,and expect more of a platform for leftwing views that get less traction in the MSM when you're at home. I'm sure you can manage. 

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

That's if you choose to buy into the media(don't get me started on media lol) I'm just saying that you should listen to all types of opinions and not just people who think the same as you

5 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

You should be able to discuss things without judgement and you might not agree with them but then again in my world we would all be equals and all ideas would be combined

I’d like to see this bunch of bell-ends (sorry, bit judgemental there) on Worthy Farm, discussing how they show support for their party of choice.

C62734B5-9850-4AF8-9AF9-17AE1B89072F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I’d like to see this bunch of bell-ends (sorry, bit judgemental there) on Worthy Farm, discussing how they show support for their party of choice.

If they're gonna get offered tickets - i have a blue t-shirt somewhere and some sharpies - if it gets me in I'm quite happy to join any party for the biggest party ticket.

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Almost all of the worst people I know identify as ‘Young Conservatives’, I’d sooner hang out with Vladimir Putin.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

And yet you didn't blame anyone else....

From one angle, it all started by some geezer wrongly specifying those panels as suitable for towerblocks when they shouldn't have been, and from that initial use it became standard practice. 

From one angle, it all started when UPVC window installers started using foam filler around the new windows, and it became standard practice.

From one angle, it all started when tower-block work became so commonplace that tower-block building regs about separation and the reasons for them got lost within the world of work, and the shoddy and dangerous became the standard.

Etc, etc, etc.

You mentioned the council's decision to not install sprinklers, and yet had those three things I mention not have happened decades before that sprinkler decision there would have been little point in the sprinklers.

In reality it was the perfect storm of a number of bad decisions over decades, then compounded by the likes of no-sprinklers (as they would have made a difference because of all the shoddy work).

I hate to defend them but if the conclusion is going to be "the tories" then we're only ensuring another tragedy.

This was a thread about the Tories, can't be arsed reading through the 25 pages I've missed mind. Replied to the first post which said about Corbyn "practically blaming rich evil Tories for killing everyone at Grenfell". I didn't say the Tories deserved all the blame, I'm not that unreasonable. I accept and agree with the other factors you've mentioned here too, there's enough blame to go around. Hands up, I'm not a structural engineer or fire safety expert but I do know that the lack of sprinklers and the addition of flammable cladding to the building significantly increased the risk. 

Anyway, you telling me I'm solely blaming the Tories for Grenfell ties in quite nicely with the points I were trying to make in the post you were responding to. You really shouldn't need me to tell you that I didn't say something that I didn't say. Course, everyone's free to interpret whatever anyone says or doesn't say however they like. We hear it all the time don't we? So-and-so's silence on that issue is deafening, read between the lines, don't take everything at face value etc. We're inquisitive people, I'll do it myself sometimes, particularly with politicians. I'll hear them say something and suspect they mean something entirely different. Well, I think it's a bit more reasonable when you're talking about someone in the public eye and you've got a voting record to look at that doesn't seem too consistent with whatever they're saying. We've all got our biases and things that make us tick, I don't know what you think about anything besides what you type on here and I'm in no place to assume otherwise. And there are far too many assumptions when it comes to politics. Alright, somewhere in the 25 pages I can't be arsed to read it seems that this thread has become more about Brexiters than Tories. Can't think of anything as polarising as Brexit in my adult life. Seen more comment threads than I care to remember about Brexit and it's like a game of bingo half the time. Easy for people to forget that not everyone who voted Leave is an old racist or that not everyone who voted Remain is a young snowflake who thinks the EU is the best thing since sliced bread. It's interesting how people debate and react, anyway.

Edited by RichardWaller
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RichardWaller said:

You really shouldn't need me to tell you that I didn't say something that I didn't say.

You gave a binary non-nuanced statement of blame in one direction only.

And then decried those who made binary non-nuanced statements.

You said both of those things, and I pointed out the inconsistency.

I expanded things about Grenfell to show why your binary statement of blame was well off the mark.