Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

On 10/07/2017 at 8:59 PM, KingPin said:

Even when these billionaires take their businesses with them and you leave thousands unemployed?

Overwhelmingly this doesn't happen. Businesses remain in the country where their core business is.

And why would a billionaire do this? Profits are profits and there is no point in jeopardising them to relocate to another market when they can simply get non-dom status.

Besides, it's all fairly moot as by and large these billionaires don't pay tax so it makes no difference to them what the rates are. I was chatting to a friend at Glastonbury who told me that the charity he works for receives a large amount of support from someone in the lower reaches of the 100 richest in the country. That individual's tax bill is only surpassed by a few others. He'd quite like to know what happened to the bills of the other 80 or so people that are richer than himself. Of course he knows the answer as his peers express amazement that he pays tax at all.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2017 at 3:11 AM, frostypaw said:

Assholes. It let me straight in, can't get back now though. This is a much more 'lite' version of the same data https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/how-has-inequality-changed basically a vast increase in inequality during thatcher's years, with the higher percentile's pay rocketing away while lower earners have stayed relatively flat

Ooh I got back in. The 6 graphs were:

1. The incomes of the poorest are likely to fall the fastest over next five years - a dramatic 15% fall for lowest earners, 5% rise for upper levels

2. There is little chance of further decreases in unemployment or increases in employment - the rises so far have been additional numbers from new groups and can't be repeated (all the zhc jobs for young'uns and barely part time hours stuff)

3. A period of low inflation is likely to come to an end and with it the end of real wage growth - awkward graph to describe, wage's dropped for a while in real terms but are briefly bouncing back

4. Changes to the tax and benefits and system over the next few years will make the rich richer and the poor poorer - from the poor being £400 worse off to the rich being £300 better off - though the extreme low paid do a little better at -£300 and the very rich seeing a £100 drop too.

5. Growth in private renting means fewer people will enjoy the benefit from low interest rates - the graph here shows number of years salary for a deposit and the huge rises, doubling twice in the 11 years from 2009.

6. Income inequality, once housing costs have been taken into account, will rise to new highs - alongside the rises shown in the link to the Equality Trust this prediction shows how it's expected to get much worse with the radio of 90th to 10th percentile exceeding 6.

tl;dr: We're screwed, the whole last decade has been a sham-recovery that's only benefited the few

Wow. Can't believe that over a fortnight ago, I started to reply to this and then abandoned it thinking "you're a bit the worse for wear". Sorry. Apologies. Most of below the line was typed two weeks ago. Only slight addition/editing. Guess the thread's moved on now.

Ta for the swift and lengthy reply.

But, nothing I don't already know.

Thatcher years?

I got chatting to a bloke at the Cider Bus on the Sunday afternoon this year. Said he had to leave soon. We talked bands for a while. As he got up to go I had to ask what was so important that he had to leave so early. Turned out he had a flight to catch to Texas for his job in The Department of Trade and Industry. He asked me what I did for a living. We ended up having a longer chat than either of us had probably planned.

We didn't draw graphs, but thems graphs in that article gonna get worse was the (drunken?) conclusion we came to.

DTI bloke's parting shot was along the lines of "after Brexit, five years of nasty, and it won't feel normal again for a couple of decades".

To keep this track on thread:

During the Jeremy Corbyn chants during the pauses between Radiohead songs, somebody turned to me and said along the lines of the generic "Why the political Jeremy Corbyn chants", rhetoric.

Me: "Maybe it's because the tories are such a bunch of piss taking, lying, utter c**ts?".

So, I may have contributed to the idea that tories aren't welcome at Glastonbury. Not my intention. Everybody's invited. Just be aware that it is traditionally lefty and people will try to change your mind. Please don't take offence.

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Just be aware that it is traditionally lefty and people will try to change your mind. Please don't take offence.

I read this and my initial thought was ooof that sounds a bit culty. Then recalled my imploring post and trying to engage with Tory voters prior to election. Not to convert but to try and understand the reason for their vote without the but Corbyn rhetoric. As in I literally invited people to try to convert me. 

Not one post other than other people who were interested in the answer. 

So maybe left can back up their views in public. Tories cant. And if you're feel uncomfortable with talking about your views maybe think about why. 

Why are 'you' uncomfortable with your vote if you vote Tory. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I read this and my initial thought was ooof that sounds a bit culty. Then recalled my imploring post and trying to engage with Tory voters prior to election. Not to convert but to try and understand the reason for their vote without the but Corbyn rhetoric. As in I literally invited people to try to convert me. 

So maybe left can back up their views in public. Tories cant. And if you're feel uncomfortable with talking about your views maybe think about why. 

I don't claim to speak for Tory voters but I don't think they are. However, they're probably very uncomfortable with being called scum and c**ts when they do speak here.

• Upvote 1

I don't know of anyone who has been "converted" by discussion from one side to the the other. I know a few who have changed voting habits as their personal circumstances were being changed considerably. That's why I tend to avoid talking politics as it usually ends up in the name calling scenario one way or the other. 

It's all Bollox.. Just try and get on with one another..... I'd hate a glasto where anyone certain type of person wasn't welcome.... 

Politics and religion are all Bollox and this is a threat unworthy of 9999.99% of people going to Glastonbury and on here. 

Have a good day / night..... Tomorrow 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's not entirely clear if the tickets (or all of the tickets) were provided by the festival, or whether some were perhaps a gift from another party.

quite right....'complimentary' doesn't necessarily mean direct from GFL.

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

quite right....'complimentary' doesn't necessarily mean direct from GFL.

Yup, tho some of them do look like they might have been direct, and with perfectly good reason - such as the ones for the Culture Secretary and shadow, and perhaps culture committee members too.

There was a time when Glastonbury begged for govt support and got none, whereas nowadays they're facilitated with stuff like visa hotlines, which I know this year got at least one act to the festival who wouldn't otherwise have got into the country. 

On 26/07/2017 at 9:37 PM, guypjfreak said:

It's all Bollox.. Just try and get on with one another..... I'd hate a glasto where anyone certain type of person wasn't welcome.... 

Politics and religion are all Bollox and this is a threat unworthy of 9999.99% of people going to Glastonbury and on here. 

Have a good day / night..... Tomorrow 

100% agree

My general rule in life is to never argue (or 'discuss') with anyone about politics or religion and generally avoid negativity and confrontational people

Seems to work for me 

Why someone would go to a fantastic festival like Glastonbury and argue politics or call people scum or t**ts because they have different political beliefs is beyond me but each to their own 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 26/07/2017 at 1:37 AM, H.M.V said:

I also have no idea what the Tory voters reasoning is but I'm not surprised that you didn't find the answer here,ha ha

11 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

100% agree

My general rule in life is to never argue (or 'discuss') with anyone about politics or religion and generally avoid negativity and confrontational people

Seems to work for me 

Why someone would go to a fantastic festival like Glastonbury and argue politics or call people scum or t**ts because they have different political beliefs is beyond me but each to their own 

I can see why you avoid getting involved in the conversations. But sometimes, someone says something so extreme, like a racist, homophobic or other hateful comment, that it just seems like the right thing to do to take them to task on it. And some of the things the Tories say are hateful.

But calling them names and being hateful towards them is just as bad really. It's better to engage with them, raise your points and maybe, they will learn something. Maybe... I always think its at least worth a try.  

Some of the group I was with a definitely on the right of the political spectrum. We tend to avoid politics as we know it is something that divides us, but we have a lot more in common.  I would normally try to sell them new bands that I am into, but decided to go see She Drew The Gun with my partner as I knew the politics of the band would not appeal to them.

However I was unable to contain myself, when we met up one time and they complained that they had shown Jeremy Corbin on the big screens at The Other Stage as people were waiting to see the Kaiser Chiefs. I replied "that really shocks me, people were waiting to see the Kaiser Chiefs"

Their musical tastes are not much better than their politics, still nice people.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sime said:

I can see why you avoid getting involved in the conversations. But sometimes, someone says something so extreme, like a racist, homophobic or other hateful comment, that it just seems like the right thing to do to take them to task on it. And some of the things the Tories say are hateful.

But calling them names and being hateful towards them is just as bad really. It's better to engage with them, raise your points and maybe, they will learn something. Maybe... I always think its at least worth a try.  

Yeah, fair point but I usually avoid racist, homophobic, hateful people too.ha ha.

i know you say that by engaging with them they may learn something but I don't want to waste my festival time on that long shot.

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, fair point but I usually avoid racist, homophobic, hateful people too.ha ha.

i know you say that by engaging with them they may learn something but I don't want to waste my festival time on that long shot.

None of my friends or family are hateful people but when I'm out and about wherever, occasionally I over hear someone say something nasty. Then I tend to talk to them.

I quite understand about not wanting to get involved in conversations about this sort of thing at festivals but I wouldn't think of it as a waste of time if one did. The opposite infact. I actually didn't hear any hatey conversations at Glastonbury this year thankfully :) 

30 minutes ago, sime said:

None of my friends or family are hateful people but when I'm out and about wherever, occasionally I over hear someone say something nasty. Then I tend to talk to them.

I quite understand about not wanting to get involved in conversations about this sort of thing at festivals but I wouldn't think of it as a waste of time if one did. The opposite infact. I actually didn't hear any hatey conversations at Glastonbury this year thankfully :) 

Hopefully, that was because everyone was there for the same reason.

9 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Hopefully, that was because everyone was there for the same reason.

People go there for all sorts of reasons I guess, although with the main aim ofcourse of enjoying yourself.

I did have a pretty heavy discussion with a Tory voter in Leftfield while waiting for Jeremy Corbyn. To his credit, he was there to get balance on his views and Labours. 

Last year, unsurprisingly, the conversations going round the festival were a lot more volatile...

12 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Fuckin hell. Could you imagine?

Innit just. They're so scared of having their 'ideas' correctly shown up as egregious that they're choosing to hold their 'festival' in an invite-only secret location. Unbelievably ridiculous that these people are in charge.