Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Watching good morning Britain Kevin Maguire described Glastonbury as very middle class. Of course it's left leaning and always has been, but I'd probably say half the people there are Tory voters? 

What's your logic there?

3 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

What's your logic there?

No logic at all, just a guess. I think there is a wide spread perception that Glastonbury is now very middle class, it's on more and more people's bucket list, more people are going that wouldn't have dreamed of going 10 years ago and the ticket allocation is essentially a random selection of the population. My point really is that the question are Tories welcome is probably moot, because it's not likely that they only make up a small majority of attendees, of hazard a guess they make up a much larger percentage than people think.

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

ticket allocation is essentially a random selection of the population

Not so much. It's not a lottery, it's down to effort and organisation and working together

I think you've started with too many questionable assumptions there. I'm sure there are quite a few Tories there, but I very much doubt it's 50/50

24 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Not so much. It's not a lottery, it's down to effort and organisation and working together

I think you've started with too many questionable assumptions there. I'm sure there are quite a few Tories there, but I very much doubt it's 50/50

A random selection of organised people then. I'd agree 50/50 is a big assumption, but the festival has never been more popular and is attracting more and more new people who previously never would've gone. The new people aren't being attracted by the political side of the festival, and their political leanings  are just as likley to be Tory as anything else. Most people just see it on the TV and think 'that looks great' Poitics doesn't come into it so I therefore believe there are far more Tories there than people imagine.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A random selection of organised people then. I'd agree 50/50 is a big assumption, but the festival has never been more popular and is attracting more and more new people who previously never would've gone. The new people aren't being attracted by the political side of the festival, and their political leanings  are just as likley to be Tory as anything else. Most people just see it on the TV and think 'that looks great' Poitics doesn't come into it so I therefore believe there are far more Tories there than people imagine.

Don't forget the age distribution.  Both the left and Glastonbury skews young.

I think you're right in a lot of that, but from experience within my circles the Tories have cared a lot less for the festival and it's attendees so fewer of them have hung around and kept coming - plus just look at those crowds for JC.....

It would be fascinating if they did some surveys

Edited by frostypaw

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well hopefully Corbyn's appearance puts off a lot in the future :)

• Upvote 1

Right wingers are definitely in the minority. You seem to be only considering the ticket buying public. Almost half the people on site work at the festival in some capacity and the vast majority of those are left wing. Naughty corner, leftfield, greenfields, WBC etc. Glastonbury actively promotes left wing ideology and promotes zero right wing ideology so it's not surprising the vast majority on site are left leaning.

That's the way it should be as it is after all a left wing festival and makes no bones of that fact. 

Complaining it's a bit too left wing or political is like coming home from church and complaining it was a bit 'too preachy'.

21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Well hopefully Corbyn's appearance puts off a lot in the future :)

why are some of the JC loving brigade so obnoxious? 

As you know I voted tory, but I'm not so rude to any of you who didn't and I say again nearly 900k more of the people who voted agreed with me.

it is a bit of a lottery getting a ticket and no mater how much  careful planning on how you get one gives you any better success at  it . I was on my own and just let the auto refresh do the work and it went through pretty much immediately

Next time I will have to look carefully at how my physical abilities will be by then and would be going in a camper . I will wait  until I see what bands are on as Ed Sheeran Sunday night didn't float my boat and for me there was not enough rock and too much ear bleed !

I certainly won't be going as I want my political views bashed .. I respect yours but it works both ways 

I didn't find the festival very political at all , I'm not sure if some of you don't like that it's turning into a middle of the road beer and music festival rather than where it's roots originate from but at the end of the day it has to be more open to all

On 08/07/2017 at 0:11 PM, Jne___ said:

I haven't read through this thread in its entirety so I'm likely to be repeating what has been said, but the frustration of hearing these same things over and over its getting so tiresome. 

It hasn't been hijacked by politics or the left wing, it's always  been that way, it started that waY. 

Also

It's getting really boring to hear people call out the apparent hypocrisy of people at Glastonbury being "middle class" etc etc , when in actuality you only need to have set aside £30 a month from sale date in October to balance due in April. Children even go free! I understand that what constitutes as a lot of money to put away each month / week is subjective, but if you decide as many do that you'll like to go the summer previous, it isn't much to put away occasionally. 

Obviously luxury camping exists, but that's s discussion in itself and doesn't reflect the majority of people there. 

image.jpeg

It's actually a lot more than £30 a month when you take into consideration travel, food, alcohol, and other spends into account. Indeed pretty much everybody in my group for Download spent over £600 taking into account everything spent and that IS a LOT of money to the average punter, and yes you can do it more cheaply, but I think it's fair to suggest you're looking at a minimum of £350 for any major festival in this country

On 08/07/2017 at 2:29 PM, DeanoL said:

The big Tory voting blocks are 'knocking on' too and if it's another five years, five years of them will be dead and there will be five years of more young people. If Lavour can keep the current momentum going they will walk the next election.

Yes but you do know that people become more right wing as they get older don't you? Todays leftists are tomorrows Tories.

8 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Right wingers are definitely in the minority. You seem to be only considering the ticket buying public. Almost half the people on site work at the festival in some capacity and the vast majority of those are left wing. Naughty corner, leftfield, greenfields, WBC etc. Glastonbury actively promotes left wing ideology and promotes zero right wing ideology so it's not surprising the vast majority on site are left leaning.

That's the way it should be as it is after all a left wing festival and makes no bones of that fact. 

Complaining it's a bit too left wing or political is like coming home from church and complaining it was a bit 'too preachy'.

Well it's not half, it's a third based on the figures in the licence of 135k GA punters and 63k staff/performers etc. I certainly take your point that of the workers that make up that third the vast majority would be left wing. Of the part made up of suppliers and performers, performer hanger-oners etc, who knows? I'm not a Tory voter by the way, and I'm not complaining about anything, I just think of the 135k GA punters a fair few will be Tory.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Why does it have to be?  

because if it becomes a really strong  left only festival then it becomes a political festival... not all bands believe in those politics and it may shoot itself in the foot.

Once that starts to happen especially as it's so big IMO extremist will filter through and make the whole vibe change.

This will indeed stop tories going but it will stop other political persuasions go as well  like Green, Lib Dem etc but it can't then state it's a festival for all 

There are more to politics than just labour and tory 

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

because if it becomes a really strong  left only festival then it becomes a political festival... not all bands believe in those politics and it may shoot itself in the foot.

Once that starts to happen especially as it's so big IMO extremist will filter through and make the whole vibe change.

This will indeed stop tories going but it will stop other political persuasions go as well  like Green, Lib Dem etc but it can't then state it's a festival for all 

I think you're over thinking it. The festival has its roots in the left and will continue to do so. The politics ae there if you seek it out but, if you don't I personally don't think it's that OTT. Most people want to go because first and foremost it's a bloody great music festival, if people enjoy it they will continue to want to go.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think you're over thinking it. The festival has its roots in the left and will continue to do so. The politics ae there if you seek it out but, if you don't I personally don't think it's that OTT. Most people want to go because first and foremost it's a bloody great music festival, if people enjoy it they will continue to want to go.

agree with you , my point really was aimed at the previous poster.  I'm fine with the way it is as I never encountered anything political.  I wasn't looking for it so didn't bother me 

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well it's not half, it's a third based on the figures in the licence of 135k GA punters and 63k staff/performers etc. I certainly take your point that of the workers that make up that third the vast majority would be left wing. Of the part made up of suppliers and performers, performer hanger-oners etc, who knows? I'm not a Tory voter by the way, and I'm not complaining about anything, I just think of the 135k GA punters a fair few will be Tory.

Aye. Unfortunately I think the vast majority of the paying public are most likely non political, I have no evidence to back this up but most people I meet day to day tend to be either non-voters or tradition voters (my dad voted for X party thus I vote for X party). It's a shame as the ability to vote is quite a privilege really.

8 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Um, it's always been a really strong left only festival and simply continues to be that. So that one has already bolted many many years ago.

18 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

why are some of the JC loving brigade so obnoxious? 

Nothing to do with JC - there are obnoxious people on the left just as there are on the right.

If that's surprising then have a look at some of what the right have had to say about the commoners and their lazy work-shy selfish ways etc, I think under the circumstances and the disgusting way the right have treated the least able and secure in society it's pretty damn restrained.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Even looking at the 135k GA punters no way will half be Tory. Even half of the British population aren't Tory voters - 42% voted Tory in an election where turnout was 69%. That means if you got an entirely representative section of the population in a field only 29% would be Tory voters.

But there's no chance even that would be the case. Despite Glasto having plenty of older attendees, it still has far more attendees under 40 than over 40. Under 40s voted Labour by a huge margin. And actually this election didn't really show anywhere near as much of a correlation between social class and Labour/Tory as previous elections. Tories did better than Labour in the highest social class but Labour closed that gap massively, whereas Labour did better than the Tories in the lowest social class but the Tories closed that gap massively too.

The festivals attendees would massively skew Labour, without a doubt IMO.

15 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Go an look-up at the line up for the Speaker's Corner and then ask yourself if it's the kind of thing that would alienate Green voters.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2017/?stage#speakersforum

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Go an look-up at the line up for the Speaker's Corner and then ask yourself if it's the kind of thing that would alienate Green voters.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2017/?stage#speakersforum

I'm speaking generally , I accept it's roots are based to the left but it seems to have evolved into a great music , beer and food festival.

If it became so moderate would you cease to attend or would you go with the flow `?