Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

8 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Point 1. Were you really listening - Tom Yorke, Chrissie Hynde and Louisa Roach (She Drew the Gun) were anti Tory, Matt Berninger (The National) was anti Trump and of course Kate Tempest. I'm sure there were many others.

Point 2. I agree, society is more divided than at almost any time that I can remember since the 70s. It is now fractured in more ways than ever; in particular young vs old. In the 70s the message was "stand aside old man we're coming through". I get that young people are angry but I'm yet to discern a coherent vision from young people, who are being fucked in terms of education, jobs, and housing, about what sort of future the envisage for themselves. I've yet to see anything from Labour and JC that convinces me that they really know where they are going, their "answers" seem to me to be rooted in the past not in the future and I really worry about the cult of personality that appears to be growing around JC - populist politics from the left is as bad as populist politics from the right..

(And before I get branded a Tory stooge; I'm 64, I've never voted Tory and never will!!)

I didn't watch any of those bands mate (bar the first 20 of Radiohead).

Who is having these big political discussions at Glasto anyway? I don't recall discussing politics at all, either with my friends or ransoms (funnily enough), bar possibly asking whether or not people were going to go and see Corbyn.

34 minutes ago, Homer said:

Who is having these big political discussions at Glasto anyway? I don't recall discussing politics at all, either with my friends or ransoms (funnily enough), bar possibly asking whether or not people were going to go and see Corbyn.

I don't recall any political discussions but there was quite a political atmosphere and the "Oh Jermy Corben" chant kept randomly appearing from bars and the smaller stages.

The Jeremy Corbyn chant kept appearing at Godiva yesterday too. Every band seemed to include a brief riff of Seven Nation Army in order to set it off. It's gone beyond left wing festivals and personal appearances now.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not really sure that anyone felt threatened, upset or under attack due to the Corbyn chant.

If that was directed at my post then that's not the point I was making; I didn't, and why would anybody, feel threatened by it anyway.

For what it's worth I was absolutely delighted to see young people getting engaged in politics again; they have been ignored because they didn't vote and so politicians didn't feel the need to address them. I don't happen to think that JC is the answer to their concerns (although I'm happy to concede that I have not always been right) but at least he has recognised the concerns of young people. If young people keep voting in large numbers then the other political parties will have to come up with some answers as well.

Of course they are... Glastonbury isn't about binary Labour vs Tories, granted a lot of ideas tend to be rooted in the left, but there are bigger movements such as climate change, and generally just being nice to each other, which should speak to everyone.

And yeah, there's no harm done of a conservative voter went to Kate Tempest and had their eyes opened to the reality of austerity.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

That's strange. When I tell people that I avoid anything to do with politics at Glastonbury I'm told that it is impossible and I must be at the wrong festival.

Now it seems that there are two of us.ha ha.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are more people like us who go to Glastonbury for the beer,music and laughs 

28 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I'm beginning to wonder if there are more people like us who go to Glastonbury for the beer,music and laughs 

Nobody's questioning that. Are you being intentionally dumb here?

What people have repeatedly said to you is that if you're not seeing any of it it's because you're ignoring it, not that it's impossible to just have it all slide by you. People manage to step over homeless folk all the time, doesn't mean they don't exist 

Complicated old world out there eh? Are you new to it btw? In which case I apologise for the tone, but otherwise wtf

Edited by frostypaw

21 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

What people have repeatedly said to you is that if you're not seeing any of it it's because you're ignoring it, not that it's impossible to just have it all slide by you. People manage to step over homeless folk all the time, doesn't mean they don't exist 

Complicated old world out there eh? Are you new to it btw? In which case I apologise for the tone, but otherwise wtf

I appreciate it can happen in text but I think you've missed the tone of my post, it was jokey and sarcastic 

Just now, frostypaw said:

He/she was joking.

Just now, Losing my hair said:

I don't recall any political discussions but there was quite a political atmosphere and the "Oh Jermy Corben" chant kept randomly appearing from bars and the smaller stages.

Oh yeah, good point.

My personal line in the sand was I went to see him and cheered at some of his points. But I'm not chanting his name.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I appreciate it can happen in text but I think you've missed the tone of my post, it was jokey and sarcastic 

The sarcastic bit I got, but the point it was trying to make still seemed to be an actual thing and entirely in line with other threads where folk have kicked up that fuss

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

That's strange. When I tell people that I avoid anything to do with politics at Glastonbury I'm told that it is impossible and I must be at the wrong festival.

Now it seems that there are two of us.ha ha.

Edited by Ommadawn

On 7/7/2017 at 4:39 PM, ivan said:

my mate lives down the road from Glasto and can hear the Pyramid Stage from his house if the wind is right.

We discussed the Corbyn thing and he then confirmed to me that Somerset is predominately blue , Glastonbury's MP is Tory and this was unlikely to change.

As an outsider (Dutch, living in Ireland) I was not aware of this until travelling to Glastonbury last year.  As the coach made its way down to the festival through these pretty Somerset villages I noticed "Leave" posters in many rose-filled gardens.  I thought a 'Remain' win was a sensible given and only at that point did I realize the outcome could be otherwise.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:39 PM, ivan said:

Although I live in Yorkshire my mate lives down the road from Glasto and can hear the Pyramid Stage from his house if the wind is right.

We discussed the Corbyn thing and he then confirmed to me that Somerset is predominately blue , Glastonbury's MP is Tory and this was unlikely to change.

Just to correct this, Somerset used to be a Lib Dem stronghold until it got "Clegged".

I think Pilton had Tessa Munt as its PM from 2010-15. Lib Dem for Wells.

I say "I think" as I live a similar distance from Pilton as your mate, and come the next election will be voting in my third different constituency in recent years. We have not moved, but the boundary commision is due to chance it all again. So without going into detail of the history of the boundary commision I can"t be 100%.

But whatever, the PM who lives nearest Worthy farm was a Lib Dem, that I can say with confidence

On 07/07/2017 at 6:02 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

I live not far from Chipping Norton, in the Tory heartland of Britain. I can assure you that it had not decamped to Glastonbury. It wouldn't dream of it - far too common, dirty lavatories, no Pimm's tent etc. One goes to Cornbury with one's camping chair and sleeps in a yurt.

I live in Chipping Norton and can assure you that it is certainly not anything as Tory as it's portrayed, for example, the town council is a very strong mix of Tories, Labour, Greens and Independent.The villages around Chipping Norton on he other hand...

I think tories should have a separate queue that basically leads them to an infinite walk with all their camping gear, round and round in circles for 4 days with one burger van selling everything at triple the price.

We could also have a viewing platform to watch them do it with a cold cider. Maybe the ribbon tower. 

:)