Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

21 hours ago, Apone said:

Just wondering because as I wandered around what struck me was the amount of vile,abusive,threatening and downright aggressive anti Tory messaging I have ever seen at the festival, In my view it was my favourite of the 6 I've been to in every way,bands,DJs,weather,side attractions,food, Thatchers cider (yummy!) but not the politics which was just everywhere this year. I totally get that Glastonbury is a left leaning festival, thats fine but does this leftness just have to be so damn aggressive and toxic. Seems the original Glasto ethos of peace,love, harmony has been completely lost in aggressive Momentum style Left wing rhetoric. This was compounded by Corbyn crashing the Glasto crowd, claim them as his own and practically blaming rich evil Tories for killing everyone at Grenfell,this a  spectacle I was forced to watch whilst awaiting the arrival of the Kaiser Chiefs on the Other Stage. It is a pity as Tory supporters prob make up a massive proportion of the Glasto festival goers, and if they're not welcome then presumably neither is their money and Glasto can just become a giant version of the Leftield stage.  

Sensible replies please

lol

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

JC is knocking on so given there wont be another election for a while and just for arguments sake he was still labour leader , does anyone think that he will still be able to carry on as PM then ?? I'd expect you to be looking for a replacement and he still has the centre left to deal with ..not all are behind his ideologies 

The big Tory voting blocks are 'knocking on' too and if it's another five years, five years of them will be dead and there will be five years of more young people. If Lavour can keep the current momentum going they will walk the next election.

Yeah, dunno what the Torys are playing at right now. Surely call another election to put Labour in, then Labour would be seen as responsible for Brexit - and the consequences for the economy - and it'd end us forever. Every week the Torys hold onto power, the Labour win at the next election gets bigger.

55 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I'm not sure how the "losing good" has become the new "winning" If Labour were so successful why aren't they in No 10...? whether you do better than  anyone before still it's the same outcome isn't it?, a loss is a loss no matter how well you did or were expected to do.

Because this election was mainly a stunt by May to prove how massive of a majority she could get, Labour didn't win the election, but The Conservatives didn't win a majority and now have to work with the hugely unpopular DUP, hanging around with anti-abortion, anti-LGBT groups is going to further alienate their centrist and young voters, many of whom have switched to Labour since 2015. Polling also suggests that Labour would win the election now, which would have been strange to think about even three or four months back.

It's like saying Arsenal in the FA Cup final against Sutton United ... Sutton score first then are beaten 5-1, they did well to get a goal first but they still lost and Arsenal win the trophy.

Except for the fact, politics isn't a game, this 'us vs. you' mentality may be why many Conservatives feel uncomfortable at Glastonbury, they see others celebrating their own views and see that as an attack on their own when really a bit of pragmatism would go a long way.

JC is knocking on so given there wont be another election for a while and just for arguments sake he was still labour leader , does anyone think that he will still be able to carry on as PM then ?? I'd expect you to be looking for a replacement and he still has the centre left to deal with ..not all are behind his ideologies 

Yes, Corbyn is an older politician, but he is younger than Donald Trump, a man seeking re-election in 2020 when he will be 76. If Corbyn chooses to step down as their leader, I'm sure he can drum up a lot of support for Labour if he works for their campaign.

On 07/07/2017 at 4:56 PM, Homer said:

Apart from seeing Corbyn, I don't really recall any anti-Tory rhetoric from anyone, either bands or punters

Tom Yorke from Radiohead said 'see ya later Theresa, shut the door on ya way out' 

On 07/07/2017 at 4:56 PM, Homer said:

Apart from seeing Corbyn, I don't really recall any anti-Tory rhetoric from anyone, either bands or punters. Were you hanging out in the Leftfield tent or something?!

If anyone did, I would suggest it's merely symptomatic of just how divided society is at the moment.

Point 1. Were you really listening - Tom Yorke, Chrissie Hynde and Louisa Roach (She Drew the Gun) were anti Tory, Matt Berninger (The National) was anti Trump and of course Kate Tempest. I'm sure there were many others.

Point 2. I agree, society is more divided than at almost any time that I can remember since the 70s. It is now fractured in more ways than ever; in particular young vs old. In the 70s the message was "stand aside old man we're coming through". I get that young people are angry but I'm yet to discern a coherent vision from young people, who are being fucked in terms of education, jobs, and housing, about what sort of future the envisage for themselves. I've yet to see anything from Labour and JC that convinces me that they really know where they are going, their "answers" seem to me to be rooted in the past not in the future and I really worry about the cult of personality that appears to be growing around JC - populist politics from the left is as bad as populist politics from the right..

(And before I get branded a Tory stooge; I'm 64, I've never voted Tory and never will!!)

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Loved it. Long live the 'cult of personality'!

Loved the Jazz shirt / Cream trouser combo so much too. Very cool.

Not so sure about the dandruff....

1 hour ago, stu_kent said:

Tom Yorke from Radiohead said 'see ya later Theresa, shut the door on ya way out' 

Without any regard at all for how that may make any Tory voters in the audience feel, the vile, agressive monster.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So much for 'the tolerant left'!

Those on the right always were and always will be less tolerant than those on the left, almost by definition. Pure unadulterated tolerance is probably an exclusive preserve enjoyed only by Buddhist monks. We must try though.

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bamber said:

Those on the right always were and always will be less tolerant than those on the left, almost by definition. Pure unadulterated tolerance is probably an exclusive preserve enjoyed only by Buddhist monks. We must try though.

I know, I was taking the piss out of right wingers outraged that their tired orthodoxy is being challenged. And the shocking idea that left winger could be angry with them.

Anyway, the left/right dichotomy is about collectivism vs individualism. Tolerance for all opinions isn't really relevant, even if tolerance has been traditionally associated with the left.

Tolerance is a virtue, I agree, but there's nothing inherently hypocritical about being intolerant of right wing views and being a leftie.

P.S. I know I'm not disagreeing with you :)

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

P.P.S. I'm drunk and may not have made any sense :) I strangely start to use longer words when I post pissed. I nearly used the word 'orthogonal', but I thought that was going a bit too far ;)

Use longer words is my absolute mantra.

I just read a YouTube comment that creased me up

Jordan Clemons
as a representative of the black delegation, we have proposed the trading of Raven Symone for Joss Stone

I don't know if you like Joss Stone, but this is the Vid commented on. I'm Drunk too...

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know, I was taking the piss out of right wingers outraged that their tired orthodoxy is being challenged. And the shocking idea that left winger could be angry with them.

Anyway, the left/right dichotomy is about collectivism vs individualism. Tolerance for all opinions isn't really relevant, even if tolerance has been traditionally associated with the left.

Tolerance is a virtue, I agree, but there's nothing inherently hypocritical about being intolerant of right wing views and being a leftie.

P.S. I know I'm not disagreeing with you :)

I do struggle with the so called tolerant left 

We're seeing a class war from the Tories as it is. Our hospital workers are having to use food banks whilst the Tories look to run the NHS into the ground so the only option is to privatise. We do not deserve homes "fit for human habitation", our schools are having to get the begging bowl out to operate, those who want to further their education at Uni will have to burden a debt that lasts a lifetime. You don't deserve guaranteed work what with zero hours contracts and you don't deserve to be guaranteed to pay your bills if you take on full time work without a national living wage that actually is that.

We see the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Amber Rudd, Theresa May and David Cameron tell us that it's "selfish" to  reward those who work for the good of us all with a sensible pay rise.

If people have been fooled into voting Tory then they're more than welcome in my mind and I'll happily, peacefully and respectfully show them why I choose to vote the way I do and the damage the Tories are doing to the country. If you choose to still vote for them after that then I'm sorry but I can only see you as opposition. You have a right to vote for them and believe in conservatism but our view points are not compatible.

I'm lucky in that I've worked myself into a job where I've doubled my salary in the last five years but that's been through right place, right time. I've got friends - very talented friends - who deserve far far more from the work they put in and their skillset and they've been unable to progress or afford further qualifications to better their skillset. Six years ago I couldn't afford to fully pay my bills and stock the cupboard and it was miserable, I then was made redundant and lost the remainder of my life savings from it. The reality of Tory Britain is cruel to those most in need.

With the level of assault on the working class in the UK under Theresa May anger and resentment is understandable. This is a woman who told an impoverished nurse that there's not a 'magic money tree' then spent £1.5bn of taxpayers money to save her own backside. I really can't see how anyone can say at all that allowing Corbyn to speak on the Pyramid is unreasonable or intrusive if you choose to vote Tory.

• Upvote 1