Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If you consider what you experienced at Glastonbury as vile, abusive, threatening and aggressive then you have lived a very sheltered, privileged life

I havent but carry on

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Apart from seeing Corbyn, I don't really recall any anti-Tory rhetoric from anyone, either bands or punters. Were you hanging out in the Leftfield tent or something?!

With no stories forthcoming I think this is one of those "I actually heard somebody criticise Margaret *GASP*" things.

I've seen loads of mild jesting and the occasional pointed joke, but nothing that would justify that kind of description. Unfortunately sometimes joining the dots is offensive enough when you've spent so much of your life in blinkers. In the older chattier days I used to get a lot of joy from my annual chat with some upset looking middle aged guy about how having seen and heard what they had at the festival they were worried their whole life had been a cruel sham and they needed a new job.... now it seems mostly so toned down that apart from this year it's been entirely possible to ignore. Seems a great thing to have it turned back up tbh

3 minutes ago, Apone said:

I havent but carry on

Then stop pretending you're so sensitive that you can't handle the level of tory hostility at Glastonbury, it was mild at best. I don't honestly know how you get through life if you considered that so devistating. 

• Upvote 1

It did seem, more than ever, that politics was a binary 'Labour/Corbyn good / everyone else bad' attitude at the festival this year.

I understand why, but those of us with Green and/or Liberal leanings seem to have been shoved in the 'bad' box or worse (particularly in the case of the Green Party) rendered invisible, which given the environmentally-aware slant of the festival seems a missed opportunity to add some balance.

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Apone said:

I havent but carry on

I'm confused as to what exactly you found vile, abusive, threatening or agressive?

Discomfort at 100,000 people coming together to reject your views is perfectly natural and doesn't count towards the above.

TBF I did find the chanting a little tedious too, however at the same time it was heartening to hear so many who have realised that thier voice can be heard and that they don't have to just accept the status quo. 

• Upvote 2

A few years ago, Sir Mick and Co headlined the pyramid stage. I encountered so many right wingers that year I thought that Chipping Nortan had decamped to Glastonbury (Did anyone else have this experience? Practically every other person I spoke to was of the right wing persuasion). Generally I don't mind hearing other peoples views, however much I disagree with them, but it reminded me that a diversity of culture at the festival is accompanied by a diversity of opinion.

Had I been deprived of entertainment from the arch-tory Rolling Stones that year, my festival might not have been as enjoyable (sic). This year we had a new addtion to the group who was a staunch Tory, and I ended spending quite a lot of time with her. So I welcome Tories to the festival, however much I resent their unpatriotic political views.

Unemployed people, asylum seekers, immigrants, LGBT kids, single mothers, black people, Liverpool football fans, disabled people, people who live on council estates, the traveller community, etc etc. Compare the abuse and vilification they all experienced by the tories over the years and compare it to what the original poster experienced at Glastonbury 

• Upvote 17
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, ClovenFin said:

A few years ago, Sir Mick and Co headlined the pyramid stage. I encountered so many right wingers that year I thought that Chipping Nortan had decamped to Glastonbury (Did anyone else have this experience? Practically every other person I spoke to was of the right wing persuasion). Generally I don't mind hearing other peoples views, however much I disagree with them, but it reminded me that a diversity of culture at the festival is accompanied by a diversity of opinion.

Had I been deprived of entertainment from the arch-tory Rolling Stones that year, my festival might not have been as enjoyable (sic). This year we had a new addtion to the group who was a staunch Tory, and I ended spending quite a lot of time with her. So I welcome Tories to the festival, however much I resent their unpatriotic political views.

I live not far from Chipping Norton, in the Tory heartland of Britain. I can assure you that it had not decamped to Glastonbury. It wouldn't dream of it - far too common, dirty lavatories, no Pimm's tent etc. One goes to Cornbury with one's camping chair and sleeps in a yurt.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Unemployed people, asylum seekers, immigrants, LGBT kids, single mothers, black people, Liverpool football fans, disabled people, people who live on council estates, the traveller community, etc etc. Compare the abuse and vilification they all experienced by the tories over the years and compare it to what the original poster experienced at Glastonbury 

Exactly this innit. And furthermore, even beyond those who the Torys directly neglect and try to sideline in society, the amount of nefariously inequitable mud slung in the direction of anyone left of Nick Clegg since 2008 means Torys have absolutely no right to complain about their views being lightly mocked at Glastonbury. Corbyn's speech before RTJ was totally fair compared to bacon sandwich gate etc.

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love opinions.The whole world is built around different opinions. Opinions eventually make changes. Things take time to change but they do change. Look at our history and then look to our futures. Racism has lessened, Homophobia has lessened (I'll admit they still have much room for improvement but you only have to look back in decades to see the momentum towards correct thinking in modern times). Toryphobia, Labourphobia, Liberalphobia and even Greenphobia (BNP is not a phobia, Just hatred) is what will get us there in a sort of reverse psychology way. Voice your beleifs without fear X

• Upvote 2

I too don't get the comment about vile, aggressive etc attitudes, either I walked around with my ears shut or it wasn't there.  There were 3 influences at play here this year. Firstly the Festival has always been left wing and the banners, signs and politics play a big part as ever. Im left wing but that doesnt mean i agree with all of it.  Secondly, the youngsters have awakened to politics for the first time in 15 years. That's great to see no matter what political persuasion. I overheard more conversations about politics this year than for many many years which was so encouraging.   Thirdly, artists playing may have been a little more vocal but that's because they see what's happening around them and are directly affected by the reductions in arts funding and the closure of small music venues.  Who could blame them for having a little dig upfront of a captive audience.   

I sat and spoke at length 2 years ago with a right leaning young man,  he was passionate about his cause and I can't judge him for that, even though I disagreed with what he said. Isn't that what the world is about and wouldn't it be boring if we all believed the same thing? 

Tories are welcome at Glastonbury,  as are most human beings of whatever race, belief, outlook, etc . You can chose to ignore the banners, or chose to debate them with those around you.  If you want to avoid politics altogether then maybe Glastonbury isn't the place for you. 

Sick of this boring point whiny tories keep making. People having opposite views to yours isn't an attack on you, grow the fuck up. It's like people who went to the Jacksons complaining everybody wearing a Foo Fighters t-shirt was attacking their personal choice of Saturday night headliner. Grow the fuck up, learn to hear people having different opinions to you, especially at a left-wing festival that has a tower named after Tony Benn, and who's founder stood for election as a Labour candidate.

• Upvote 10

I went to see Corbyn out of choice, other than that I can't remember being directly exposed to  any politics? I know a few artists apparently had political rants, but none that I happened to see. Of course I know politics is a big part of the festival, so if I was exposed to it I wouldn't have been suprised, however first and foremost it's a music festival and I spent most of my time getting pissed and watching fantastic acts with my mates, occasionally stopping to eat some pretty decent food. I think the OP must have been doing something drastically wrong if that was their experience.

46 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I live not far from Chipping Norton, in the Tory heartland of Britain. I can assure you that it had not decamped to Glastonbury. It wouldn't dream of it - far too common, dirty lavatories, no Pimm's tent etc. One goes to Cornbury with one's camping chair and sleeps in a yurt.

Fair enough, but I hope you are doing your bit to advance the cause ;) you catch my drift anyhow.

13 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

People having opposite views to yours isn't an attack on you, grow the fuck up. It's like people who went to the Jacksons complaining everybody wearing a Foo Fighters t-shirt was attacking their personal choice of Saturday night headliner. 

You can't be serious, this is what people were saying? Perhaps I'm being gullible but you are clearly a reputable poster around here...

Anyway, I'm off out in a minute to see Krafty Kuts/StantonWarriors etc - desperately trying to recreate some of that Glastonbury dance magic....