Celebrate grime at Glastonbury

ravermum

Just trying to shift that dickhead's thread down. Massive grime fan btw - also took my son to see Kano and Wiley this year. He's 9.

"If you don't like G R I M E,

Then you got got no taste like vegan cheese"

Haters jog on #greatnessonly

Stormzy was excellent. As not exactly a grime aficionado, there's something about his music - and the man himself - that stands out from the likes of Skepta, Wiley, Kano and others.

He seems less angry, less egotistical, more reflective and in his short career already has better tunes. He could be as big as Diz, hopefully without the "whatever sells" attitude that ultimately sank the Mr Rascal's career.

Grime has proven itself as a main stage proposition at Glasto. Stormzy is clearly the biggest breakout star of the scene but has done it without selling out the way a lot of the grime 1.0 lot did (Hi Dizzie, Hi Wiley). 

Performance wise I think Kano might have just shaded him. Had to get off halfway through to make Justice but it was one hell of a set and I could only countenance leaving cos I've seen him numerous times before. Watching back on iplayer confirmed it was special.

I guess the only issue on promoting all of them at once to the main stages means there isn't much room to grow from there. This is where the fallow year comes in handy. Pretty much all the serious big names in the scene played this year bar Giggs and next year if there was one would seem underwhelming by comparison or same old depending on what they book.

The two years gives the opportunity for Stormzy to develop into a Pyramid sub, Skepta to release more solo stuff and the likes of Dave and J Hus (the big miss on this year's bill to step up).

I think that the grime days at Sonic and Wow have been a big success although I've mostly avoided that to keep her onside...

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Stormzy was excellent. As not exactly a grime aficionado, there's something about his music - and the man himself - that stands out from the likes of Skepta, Wiley, Kano and others.

He seems less angry, less egotistical, more reflective and in his short career already has better tunes. He could be as big as Diz, hopefully without the "whatever sells" attitude that ultimately sank the Mr Rascal's career.

Absolutely love Stormzy, but my concern with him is I do think he will go down the "whatever sells" road. I can see his next album relying on the more RnB parts of his debut rather than the grime parts

Tend to agree, Stormzy was fantastic, but collabs with Ed and Little Mix don't scream musical integrity. 

His album is superb, he's a star in the making, I just hope his record company aren't pushing him down a route that would mean album number 2 has a collab list that wouldn't look out of place at T4 On The Beach. 

As an old person I should be complaining that this new 'grime' thing isn't really music; kids these days etc etc...

But far from it -- I'm fast becoming a big fan. Stormzy was excellent (as was the Hashtag Merkel flag :lol: ) and I'm hoping for more grime in years to come.

I loathe grime music. I think it's crap.

I also loathe Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, the Kaiser Chiefs, Clean Bandit and Busted. I think they're crap.

Which I why I went to see something else. That's the beauty of festivals like Glastonbury.

2 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I loathe grime music. I think it's crap.

I also loathe Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, the Kaiser Chiefs, Clean Bandit and Busted. I think they're crap.

Which I why I went to see something else. That's the beauty of festivals like Glastonbury.

Couldn't you post somewhere else as well? Such as the designated grime hate thread :lol:

27 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Couldn't you post somewhere else as well? Such as the designated grime hate thread :lol:

Oh fuck off. I'm making a valid point that not every person likes the same music but that it's presence at Glastonbury is equally valid. Just like this post is equally valid in this thread. 

35 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

7 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Oh fuck off. I'm making a valid point that not every person likes the same music but that it's presence at Glastonbury is equally valid. Just like this post is equally valid in this thread. 

Tell my man shut up

10 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Any need to tell me to fuck off after a light-hearted comment? You should probably step away from the computer for a bit.

Anyway back to the point of the thread, I reckon Stormzy is going to command a big slot at Reading next year, it really seems like he's been building hype and doesn't want to take a break. I'm sure his attempts at crossover appeal are going to get him some bigger slots as well.

Well, that didn't take long.....

To add, big fan of grime, I think Wiley was a bit lacklustre, not got around to seeing the BBK set, the Kano performance looked to me to be one of the best grime performances I have ever witnessed and Stormzy is just loads and loads of fun (would expect high slots on the circuit next year) it's been really good to see Grime step out of the shadow of controversy the last couple of years - and any musical movement that can motivate young people to do positive things is good.

20 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In all seriousness, can somebody define grime for me, in comparison to say hip hop?

This is a genuine question, neither are my sort of thing but I ladmit to not really knowing exactly what grime is and what defines it as a genre.

Personally I just hate all these labels and trying to stuff artists in pigeon holes; there's either music I like or music I don't like.

Apart from anything else the definitions keep changing. Back in the dim and distant past which constitutes my youth, the Rolling Stones and the Who were categorised as R&B, nowadays R&B is Beyonce & Rihanna (at least I think it is). 

Just listen to the music and ignore the category.

32 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In all seriousness, can somebody define grime for me, in comparison to say hip hop?

This is a genuine question, neither are my sort of thing but I ladmit to not really knowing exactly what grime is and what defines it as a genre.

Originated from Garage and Jungle and tends to be around 130bpm in comparison to hip hop which is generally slower. Although, alot of stuff people class as Grime nowadays is nothing like that. Alot of the records on the Stormzy and Kano albums aren't grime per se, but I think people just get labelled as a Grime artist nowadays if that's where they originated from.

Like people have said, very difficult and thankless task to define and differentiate, there is also a huge spectrum of people within grime too. It was basically born from the UK Garage scene in early 00's, local kids started making their own beats on their playstations and cutting dubs, I guess the lyrical influences would be UKG mcs and a lot of the older grime guys (Dizzee, Wiley etc) have spoke about their influences also coming from Ragga. It is a sound made and cultivated in East London, and the rough edges remain, you could argue that it's the last, truly British genre of music.

Didn't catch any of the Grime acts this year and bar Shut up and Man Don't Care I can't say I know too much about this wave of Grime (I loved Boy in da Corner) but I can only echo the Stormzy sentiment. There's something about his presence in clips which is special especially in the one below which I only found a few days back.

I'm massively impressed that he smashed a gig last year in the rain and in Denmark (with non-native speakers who are well into it.). Fair play to him and I'll make a point of catching his set online and listening to his album.

Edited by popcornmaster

5 hours ago, nikkic said:

Tend to agree, Stormzy was fantastic, but collabs with Ed and Little Mix don't scream musical integrity. 

His album is superb, he's a star in the making, I just hope his record company aren't pushing him down a route that would mean album number 2 has a collab list that wouldn't look out of place at T4 On The Beach. 

Linkin Park, worst of all. So yeah he's already on that route, but I think he'll get a lot more goodwill for it with it happening this early in his career and he was never walling himself in and disregarding pop music anyway, "never too big for Adele" etc. :lol:

5 hours ago, Nduja said:

The two years gives the opportunity for Stormzy to develop into a Pyramid sub, Skepta to release more solo stuff and the likes of Dave and J Hus (the big miss on this year's bill to step up).

Broke out too late didn't he? Definitely set for major festival spots next year and Glastonbury the year after.

Happy to see Grime high up on the bill, but I can't say I am a fan. It all seems to have the same style of rapping / verse. I quite like the production though.

It reminded me of this video

I loved the passion and energy in it when I walked past BBK, Wiley and Stormzy, I can understand why someone might like it - but it didn't do enough for me to stay.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop