Disrespect in the Theatre & Circus fields.

BlackHole2006

1 minute ago, Cooter said:

Slightly extreme response.......

The performer was on a mobile magic carpet, bound to attract someone stupid amongst 200k people, even not at a fest, no? Should the performer be understanding if this did happen, yes imo. He'd be stupid not to.

Reading Festival comparison, I've been many times to Reading and Glasto at it's worst even pre 2000 doesn't come anywhere near.

Mounting an on duty police horse maybe viewed slightly differently than being over keen with a passing circus performer, don't you think?

I honestly think this performer was literally a moving target, and quite possibly he knew it too. If while making that contraption he never imagined anyone would jump on for a ride then he's as stupid as the idiot that jumped on it!

The point i put was "Just because its a festival" does it make it alright to act like a dick head?? no it doesn't. This attitude of different rules for inside than outside the festival is shambolic. If someone gave it to a few of the merry men along Covert Garden a few stern words would be the least of their worries.

Unfortunately you now have the youngsters that have been doing Leeds / reading ect and think it's fine to bring there childish immature ways to a grown ups  play ground.... 

Glastonbury should have a teenager field for those that want to act like that.. 

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Unfortunately you now have the youngsters that have been doing Leeds / reading ect and think it's fine to bring there childish immature ways to a grown ups  play ground.... 

Glastonbury should have a teenager field for those that want to act like that.. 

You sound older than me!

4 minutes ago, little_jim said:

The point i put was "Just because its a festival" does it make it alright to act like a dick head?? no it doesn't. This attitude of different rules for inside than outside the festival is shambolic. If someone gave it to a few of the merry men along Covert Garden a few stern words would be the least of their worries.

I see that but the performer should expect more dickheads to be at a festival than Covent Garden. That's the joy of a festival, it's not Covent Garden!

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

You sound older than me!

Lol.. There was a definite lack of togetherness at times this year.. I was helping get a bloke through the crowd at Liam Gallagher when some twat  said to me Wot gives him priority over me.. I looked at him and told the twat..... Because he's in a fucking wheelchair...... Felt like knocking him out but couldn't get to him.. But that's the sort of thing I mean. Usually you say wheelchair coming through and people are happy to make room.. 

Or am I missing something 

The whole thing makes for uncontrollable laughter..from the genius flying carpet idea battyness to the guy jumping on the back followed by the emergency stop fall of death...it's jokes & someone jumping on the back should be made part of his act frankly!

....and surely that magic carpet should be fitted with airbags anyway!!!

1 minute ago, JulesyBoy said:
The whole thing makes for uncontrollable laughter..from the genius flying carpet idea battyness to the guy jumping on the back followed by the emergency stop fall of death...it's jokes & someone jumping on the back should be made part of his act frankly!

....and surely that magic carpet should be fitted with airbags anyway!!!

The true spirit of Gasto no less, great post.

I honestly think this is hijinks gone wrong and not malicious although a bit of a dickish move. I actually find the story about the performer with the hoola hops morredepressing. All in all hopefully these incidents don't put performers off from doing their thing in future! 

22 hours ago, Drinky said:

Apart from that time they stood for it when a headliner had their set interrupted in 2015 - the antagonist stayed on site and even did his own set as planned an hour later.

(I appreciate the point though, this guy is out of order)

Lee Nelson is an utter bellend. Horrible little arse who appears to have had a decent upbringing and makes money from laughing at the working class. Thinks people who've gone specifically to see Kanye would prefer to see him ruin it for everyone. No different from the guy in the video.

I was ready to be mad with the guy before even watching the video, but actually it looks like he didn't expect that to happen, especially from the sounds whoever's filming made.  Yes is was a bit stupid, but I doubt he meant to cause harm.

17 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

Lee Nelson is an utter bellend. Horrible little arse who appears to have had a decent upbringing and makes money from laughing at the working class. Thinks people who've gone specifically to see Kanye would prefer to see him ruin it for everyone. No different from the guy in the video.

I would honestly give Lee Nelson a slap if I saw him for that stunt with Kayne West. I can certainly see why people don't like Kanye West but why ruin it for people who want to see him live? Baffling really. 

Edited by Tyonks

21 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

I would honestly give Lee Nelson a slap if I saw him for that stunt with Kayne West. I can certainly see why people don't like Kanye West but why ruin it for people who want to see him live? Baffling really. 

People are just so desperate for their five minutes of fame. With the ability to film so easily now days people act like twats just for the camera so their mates can upload it to social media and get some likes. It's a pathetic culture and rather worrying it's not likely to change anytime soon. Sadly it's mixed with festivals where there's a culture of going to get that picture or video there so their mates can all see it on Fb after and think they're cool. People like lee nelson just take it all up a notch. 

Got a response from the main Theatre & Circus organiser.

Apparently the performer in question has been a friend of the festival for over 20 years. The main organizer was noted about this incident on the day and has since emailed the performer to see what steps they could take to ensure that it doesn't happen again in 2019. He also made a good point by saying that some walkabout performers are basically walking stewards i.e stilt walkers, but with acts like this it's a lot harder to manage the crowds around you.

Edited by BlackHole2006

10 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

People are just so desperate for their five minutes of fame. With the ability to film so easily now days people act like twats just for the camera so their mates can upload it to social media and get some likes. It's a pathetic culture and rather worrying it's not likely to change anytime soon. Sadly it's mixed with festivals where there's a culture of going to get that picture or video there so their mates can all see it on Fb after and think they're cool. People like lee nelson just take it all up a notch. 

Think you're spot on to be fair - find it very frustrating but as you say, social media like fb has def made it worse! 

As I said earlier, I was there and he was clearly drunk and not thinking properly. It definitely wasn't malicious and he appeared to have intended to jump on and ride around on the back of the carpet for a laugh. However, the people around were genuinely quite worried about the performer and it took him a while to get up again. The guy who jumped on (as you can see from the video) completely misjudged what he was doing and landed with a lot of force.  The carpet stopped for a while.  

Basically, I still think it was stupid and that the police should have had a quiet word because the guy was clearly plastered.  It's also not cool to put somebody else in danger, particularly when you are doing it to get a laugh from friends.  But it was definitely a long way from any attempt at humiliating a performer or being deliberately disrespectful.  

I think the guy didn't realise how the carpet worked and assumed he could just jump on and go for a ride. Total accident as far as I can see, and if it had worked, everyone on here would have been saying what a legend he was and how funny it was and how things like that would only happen at Glastonbury. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, I would be highly surprised if he intended for both of them to faceplant.

9 hours ago, Tyonks said:

The only person who ruined Kanye"s set was Kanye by turning up