2017 - The Changes

stuartbert two hats

Never mind the music, the atmosphere or the weather, for me Glastonbury festival is all about... seeing the changes to Glastonbury festival.  Ok, that might be overstating it a bit, but given that we can devote several pages to the number of poles in the Other Stage, I'm shocked that we've not had a roundup of what actually changed.  So, here are the bullet points of what I've got so far:

• Slightly different Other Stage (not that I'd have noticed from the front in the end).
  • No gubbins on the Pyramid.
  • Fluffy Rock Cafe now reduced to a stall.
  • Pointlessly enlarged boundaries for crew camping next to the Glastonbury sign (was too steep to camp on).
  • Craft Cider bars replaced with fairly disappointing "Brew Bars", other than the original craft cider bar, which was still in WG.
  • Fairy lights added to sides of The Park stage.
  • Ironic writing added to the fence saying we shouldn't build walls.
  • Redesigned market area between Pyramid and Other.  Not some massive new performance area, but a nice opening up IMHO.  Turned  somewhere that you accidentally trudged through into a place that's quite nice to hang out in between acts.  Called Saxon apparently.
  • Nuclear option taken to removing The Growler, by removing all the food stalls backing onto Other Stage, on the right as you face the stage
  • Lovebullets moved into/next to The Glade, displacing some food stalls.
  • New, albeit near-identical tent for Croissant Neuf.
  • Trackway down the centre of the Pyramid arena.
  • Proper (unlike the brew bars) craft ale bar in T&C field
  • Much bigger Temple
  • Brand new Shangri-La

Now the stuff I think has changed, but I'm not sure:

• Bigger screens at Other?
  • Higher res screens all round?  I didn't get to Pyramid in 2016, so this might have been last year?
  • Slightly different stage at W Holts?  Can't be sure, but I thought it looked more like the pre-2015 Other stage than last years W Holts, a bit wider.
  • Fewer (festival provided) flags around in general?
  • New inner sheet in The Glade, covering up how minging it's become?
  • A few more compost toilets?

What have I missed/got wrong?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Seems they decided to turn off the speakers on the left side of the other stage for the first few days. Pretty controversial change. 

Im impressed you manage to notice all this stuff. I struggle to find my tent.

I used to come on this forum to prepare for going to Glastonbury.  Now I go to Glastonbury to prepare for posting on this forum;)

A reduction in the size of the urinals at certain points was something I noted from 2015 (managed to dodge 2016). 

Also the "free" canvas bag sponsored by Yeo Valley was 4 quid. Did they do that last year too?

Im sure I noticed other things but have no discipline in retaining such information

For me the South East corner was a big disappointment this year. In previous years I used to love to explore the hidden rooms that it had to offer, Copperdollar is no more also, I was one of the best nights ever at Glastonbury there. 

The popularity of the area is becoming it's own downfall, I can fully understand opening up the areas to allow more people to get in but it's losing it's appeal for me. 

Edited by Ricci's Special Kebabs

15 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Also when did the solar showers turn to wood fire showers?

Don't think there's been any changes on that front - The ones next to the Kidz Field were Wood Fire as usual, and as far as I noticed the ones in the Greenpeace Field were still Solar?

Just about the only thing I noticed was the absence of the Aussie Steak Sandwich stall, which predated my visits to Glastonbury by a long time. Although given how overpriced it was in recent years that's no disaster.

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:
  • Nuclear option taken to removing The Growler, by removing all the food stalls backing onto Other Stage, on the right as you face the stage

hicks-orbit-nuke-the-site-from-orbit-its

The Saxon market first turned up last year I think, it's a brilliant thing connecting up SH like that but possibly too late in terms of SH's decline.

Were the Greenpeace showers not solar anymore than? Ooh!

12 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't think there's been any changes on that front - The ones next to the Kidz Field were Wood Fire as usual, and as far as I noticed the ones in the Greenpeace Field were still Solar?

Were the Kidz Field ones not previously Solar Power as well at some point? Im nearly sure they were, but TBF i cant claim to be an expert in this field of info as I like to go fully stinky pits during Glasto week and dont partake in the shower Qs. 

12 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Were the Kidz Field ones not previously Solar Power as well at some point? Im nearly sure they were, but TBF i cant claim to be an expert in this field of info as I like to go fully stinky pits during Glasto week and dont partake in the shower Qs. 

Nah was always wood I think.

There were no queues this year really. Maybe in the morning but I didn't go then. Had a shower 4 of the 5 days and didn't queue at all.

There was the new fish-duck-head thing on the Other Stage, and the new (Fluffy-Rock-alike) Open Arms bar opposite Greenpeace. Oh and Cinemarmageddon obvs, which I didn't visit, and Groovy Moovie Picture House became Flix (also didn't visit).

There was the new metal walkway up the field from the Pyramid Stage, possibly anticipating wet weather (which never came! Huzzah!).

I was really not keen on the new site for Lovebullets - all sorts of intrusion / obstruction going on there!

And wasn't Arcadia moved a bit, and a bit more fenced-off than in previous years?

Just now, The Nal said:

Nah was always wood I think.

There were no queues this year really. Maybe in the morning but I didn't go then. Had a shower 4 of the 5 days and didn't queue at all.

How very civil of you........ :lol: Tis baby wipes for me all the way.

One of the lads camped with us did head off for a shower this year at the Kidz Fields and Qd for 2 hours. So based on that alone I didnt even think of it, as I actively avoid Qs at Glasto if possible, but TBF he did go morning time. 

I really like the new SH cut through and moving the Hare Krishnas there worked really well from a punters pov - not sure how they found it. 

I'm going to restrain myself from talking about Lovebullets again. 

Other changes? A whole side of craft village missing replaced with what looked like a car park/dumping ground for infrastructure - very odd.

14 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

How very civil of you........ :lol: Tis baby wipes for me all the way.

One of the lads camped with us did head off for a shower this year at the Kidz Fields and Qd for 2 hours. So based on that alone I didnt even think of it, as I actively avoid Qs at Glasto if possible, but TBF he did go morning time. 

I feel like shit if I don't have one. Need that and a coffee every morning or the day doesn't start. And a Bloody Mary. 

Actually had a collapsable bucket this year so used that and a water bottle at the campsite a couple of mornings. Just as good as a shower. 

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

The Beat Hotel was fucking tiny. I've no idea why they made it smaller, but it was noticeable and annoying 

It's not somewhere I'd choose to spend time - but I thought the consensus from past years was pretty much that the entrance and the steps outside were often rammed - but that inside could be a bit sparse?

10 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not somewhere I'd choose to spend time - but I thought the consensus from past years was pretty much that the entrance and the steps outside were often rammed - but that inside could be a bit sparse?

That generally is the case aye, but the inside was a lot shorter this year, so there was much less room inside as well. Highlighted especially on the Thursday night and Sunday, where it wad a complete write off 

Apparently true (according to Glasto Daily paper anyway). After reading it, I found I was deliberately listening out for the 'clang' and realised that it was still there, just, but softer and quieter. Basically all they have done is put rubber impact thingys on the doors.

SL changes a bit improvement for me. Nothing will beat the allyways yadda yadda but microvenues became unsustainable a long time ago. The new open area meant I spent a significant part of Thursday at the Clash Stage, and Sunday Night/Monday Morning at the Gas Tower. I didn't feel crushed once.

It's more tourist friendly but less dangerous, I'm not sure if the 'exclusivity' or micro venues should really be missed to be honest. They provided more surreal experiences but felt a bit outside of the festival culture to me.