Tummy Bug ...anyone else ?

babyblade41

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illnesses could very easily be picked up post-festival. Your immune system would be absolutely non-existant and the world outside of glasto's fence isnt all lollipops and rainbows.

A mate got home and had dinner at his mums. Since then he has been throwing up, but said "I couldnt really blame my mums lasagne after I'd just had 5 days of getting off my face... but it was definitely my mums lasagne"

I always get a bit of a dodgy stomach and was actually thinking to myself it could be the water that does it.

Then I remembered the 30 plus pints , whisky , gin, terrible pinot grigio , harsh acidic cider, filthy burgers, dirty hotdogs and giant yorkshire puddings I have shovelled in over the weekend!:D

7 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

To be fair I'm surprised I didn't catch something as on the Saturday night I had chicken wings from Wingman and was licking my fingers after to clean them. Gads.

Oh they were good wings. I had some on the Saturday also. I prepared myself by washing my hands with water, then scrupulously cleaning my hands with a few antibacterial wipes, including cleaning under the nails, and followed up with antibacterial gel. 

There was NO WAY I was eating those bad boys without some finger licking going on!

9 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

Reading on other social media an alarming amount of people with pretty horrid stomach bugs since returning ..I'm OK but a lot of them were drinking from onsite taps 

It's these sorts of rumours starting which put the festival at risk. They test the water constantly and would never allow people to drink it if there was a problem.

Much more likely to be poor hygiene/low immune system from 5 days of no sleep and constant drinking.

At my first ever Glastonbury, I was at a tap on Day 1 and I said "Do you think this is okay to drink?" and someone working the festival said to me in a friendly but definite way, "Mr Eavis would not give you dodgy water to drink." That has stayed with me. Course he wouldn't - the water is tested and monitored continually. I've never been ill at Glastonbury and I have a very sensitive stomach. I also use sanitiser before all food and after all toilet encounters and use actual handwash a few times a day. I've not seen a load of stuff on social media about stomach bugs. Clean your hands a lot and don't eat anywhere dodgy but don't blame it on the water...

I also drank a lot of tap water and was fine. Never had a bug from the fest in eight years of going - all post festival illness is definitely self inflicted! And managed to escape even that this year by pacing myself quite well... getting old.

Down to poor hygiene for sure. I always carry my own antibac and clean my hands with the occasional wet wipe, rinsing with water when available. If other people rely on the festival antibac they may have occasionally gone without as I came across a few empties. Also didn't see any actual soap at sinks this year. But I do think it's an individual's responsibility to keep their hands clean!

Up in CV East we ree filling our containers from a split water point all week and on Sunday we went over and the tap we had been filling from had a big sign on it saying ' WARNING NOT DRINKING  WATER'!!! 

Saw loads of ppl using it as drinking water and was no signage up until Sindsybtonsiggest otherwise. 

Had an upset stomach halfway through Phoenix, Ran to the toilet. Nothing two imodium didn't sort out. I put it down to either the bacon roll I had or the Pasta that day. I never understand though, I always wash my hands religiously, use hand sanitiser after every toilet and before every meal. Then I see people not washing their hands, eating chicken wings licking their fingers. They're probably fine yet I got ill. Maybe that's where I go wrong, my immune system isn't up to it.

2 hours ago, rubenz said:

I always get a bit of a dodgy stomach and was actually thinking to myself it could be the water that does it.

Then I remembered the 30 plus pints , whisky , gin, terrible pinot grigio , harsh acidic cider, filthy burgers, dirty hotdogs and giant yorkshire puddings I have shovelled in over the weekend!:D

Ha I do the same. Always blame the water never all the other shit I pile my body with :D

3 minutes ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Up in CV East we ree filling our containers from a split water point all week and on Sunday we went over and the tap we had been filling from had a big sign on it saying ' WARNING NOT DRINKING  WATER'!!! 

Saw loads of ppl using it as drinking water and was no signage up until Sindsybtonsiggest otherwise. 

I've got to ask - what does Sindsybtonsiggest mean? :huh:

:lol:

6 minutes ago, musky said:

I've got to ask - what does Sindsybtonsiggest mean? :huh:

:lol:

Sounds like the Swedish festival of the sun, held every year the Sunday after the solstice, where people get together to party, drink water and put up warning signs where otherwise neglected.

Think the reality is that some people are less tolerant than others to the many bugs that are no doubt present throughout the course of the week. I drank water from the taps, ate food with my hands (pizza, burger etc) as did my OT and neither of us got sick. Being in close quarters to so many people from different parts of the country and the world will no doubt lead to some people getting sick.

I was only discharged from hospital yesterday after a nasty bout of gastroenteritis, courtesy of the Giardia parasite (a foreign bug). Which started as I was leaving site on Monday. Beautiful.

I'm definitely putting this down to a lapse in my hygiene. Though it would have been nice if the long drop antibac was full all fest!

Edited by MJP

I' wasn't on about the water coming from the tap it was more people drinking from the tap leaving bugs around the tap itself and the floor surrounding, especially coupled with warm weather .

I never used them and took bottled as I'd heard before they were highly chlorinated in the past.

I'm not a hypochondriac around this stuff at all but 5-6 days on a dusty farm, touching the same toilet doors, taps, money, nozzles on sanitisers, stall counters etc that 150,000 other people are, sitting on the dirty ground people walk on (in and out of the long drops), sleeping in a dirty tents with countless insects, not washing yourself for the duration and then eating your meals with your hands shouldn't lead to any surprise about a bug here or there. 

Those sanitisers, think about it. People push the top before the gel is on their hand. So the tops of those things are covered with thousands of bits of other people piss and shit. 

Quick hand wash with alcohol and other peoples urine and faecal matter and then lets a grab a nice wrap for dinner! Lovely. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I'm not a hypochondriac around this stuff at all but 5-6 days on a dusty farm, touching the same toilet doors, taps, money, nozzles on sanitisers, stall counters etc that 150,000 other people are, sitting on the dirty ground people walk on (in and out of the long drops), sleeping in a dirty tents with countless insects, not washing yourself for the duration and then eating your meals with your hands shouldn't lead to any surprise about a bug here or there. 

Those sanitisers, think about it. People push the top before the gel is on their hand. So the tops of those things are covered with thousands of bits of other people piss and shit. 

Quick hand wash with alcohol and other peoples urine and faecal matter and then lets a grab a nice wrap for dinner! Lovely. 

Brought a tear to my eye, I wish I was back there.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And this is why I washed with actual soap before eating anything! 

8 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Is it so odd to go 5 days without a wash?

I don't think so. 

In an environment like that it is yeah. 

5 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

And this is why I washed with actual soap before eating anything! 

Me too.

Even better, is the people you see pushing the things down with their wrists and then cleaning their hands, but not their wrists. So piss and shit all over their wrists. And a good chance theres jizz on there too. 

Really don't like the idea of that combo with my meal. 

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

Being in close quarters to so many people from different parts of the country and the world will no doubt lead to some people getting sick.

Spot on.

We camped near a bunch of herberts from Surrey. The result? Explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting from my entire group.