Tummy Bug ...anyone else ?

babyblade41

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not this year, in fact not any year bar 2014...got some food and noticed that the person handling it was also handling cash...was too hungry to start again, cue serious dose of norovirus for a week...noticed a lot of food vendors doing the same this year, so I turned and left the queue when I did and went somewhere else. All of the places I ate had somebody taking orders and handling cash, while others made the food. The onsite water supply is tested, tested again, and tested continuously during the festival. Traders with poor hygiene practices are far more likely a source of the Aztec two-step!

Apart from a bottle of water given out at Avalon in Wednesday's heat I only drunk from taps. No problems here. 

It has to be said, that of all the places to pickup a bug the taps are the least likely. Both the council and the festival's own team are all over the quality of the drinking water, with tests being carried out across the site several times a day. If there was a problem, even with a specific tap, it'll be flagged up in the MDC report in the autumn. 

The most likely cause is personal hygiene. Although you can scrupulously use the sanitisers after using the toilets it is still a farm which has cows doing their business over it for the rest of the year. 

No problems, and only drank from the on site water, more likely source would be people not washing their hands before eating, all sorts of things can be picked up from the toilets or whilst sitting on the floor, it is a dairy farm after all.

By FAR the most likely cause of bugs is people failing to wash their hands properly after using the loo or before eating. The onsite tap water is so chlorinated that the likelihood of anything surviving in it is slim to none, and it's regularly tested to ensure it's safe.

What a nasty, spiteful rumour to try and spread.

All you've done is moan and complain, and make snide comments about the festival since you got back. Its political slant, mocking the vegan stallholders and now you are trying to trash it's reputation for cleanliness. God knows what other bile you've spouted that I havent seen yet.

Tories eh :rolleyes:

I had diarrhea on the Saturday. A trip to the pharmacy sorted that out. I did notice that the tap water didn't taste like chlorine this year like it usually does. I only drank out of the tap at the top of Row Mead. I found some cutlery and a serviette in my pocket Saturday morning. So it looks like I ate with my hands Friday night. So it's probably my own fault!

I did however slip over at the entrance to medical. But righted myself just before hitting the deck. Good place to do it I suppose lol.

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

What a nasty, spiteful rumour to try and spread.

All you've done is moan and complain, and make snide comments about the festival since you got back. Its political slant, mocking the vegan stallholders and now you are trying to trash it's reputation for cleanliness. God knows what other bile you've spouted that I havent seen yet.

Tories eh :rolleyes:

Mate, really?

Someone posts something along these lines every year, usually because they don't realise that a quick wash with water won't do the trick or don't remember that we should be using sanitiser before eating - not so easy when you might have had a few. 

It's not trying to trash anyone's reputation, it's just raising an often repeated concern. 

Now you mention it, my whole group had the runs throughout the fest. We put it down to the naighty stuff we were taking though more than anything else!

Mr Skoo had a rather unfortunate incident that involved stuffing loo roll up his bum in what I can only describe as an absolute "RED ALERT" situation. To top it off, we ran out of loo roll so he was in a right old pickle.

I've had stomach issues in the past at or after the festival, usually taken to be as a result of a sudden change in diet and routine and my body reacting accordingly.  I always drink water from the taps and lots of it and most years like this there has been no issue.

Looks like it really is down to just general hygiene, which isn't surprising I suppose.  I'd never been before but have been to others in the past and just wondered if it was more prevalent as on my FB feed so many saying they hadn't had it before.  Apologies if this subject has been done to death in the past 

3 hours ago, musky said:

Mate, really?

Someone posts something along these lines every year, usually because they don't realise that a quick wash with water won't do the trick or don't remember that we should be using sanitiser before eating - not so easy when you might have had a few. 

It's not trying to trash anyone's reputation, it's just raising an often repeated concern. 

I think he was having a laugh.

My wife started feeling ill on the Sunday afternoon and was sick as a dog come the Monday morning. Journey home was very very rough. Heroic effort by her to pack and carry rucksack etc. Was really worried for her. Seemed to be just a 24 hour thing though, good sleep Monday night and she was OK by Tuesday morning.

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

My wife started feeling ill on the Sunday afternoon and was sick as a dog come the Monday morning. Journey home was very very rough. Heroic effort by her to pack and carry rucksack etc. Was really worried for her. Seemed to be just a 24 hour thing though, good sleep Monday night and she was OK by Tuesday morning.

yuck, sorry to hear that @Mardy. You could have taken my sherpa's approach and do the packing up and carry all of her stuff. We do that and I swan down to Gate A with just a daybag and the tent. Did you have a good fest otherwise?

Edited by giantkatestacks
added the @

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

yuck, sorry to hear that. You could have taken my sherpa's approach and do the packing up and carry all of her stuff. We do that and I swan down to Gate A with just a daybag and the tent. Did you have a good fest otherwise?

We had a great festival, regardless of that. as an absolute blast and a real joy to finally meet you. Hope you had fun too!