Ban Grime at Glastonbury

Markjensen

Obviously a troll, but the fatal flaw in the argument is that all tickets are sold before we know the lineup. These knife wielding thugs would've been there anyway, if there wasn't any grime I wonder where they would've been instead? I hear there was no WI tent this year, so they wouldn't have been there.. Basil Brush in the Kidzfield?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but I'd imagine most grime fans at Glastonbury are middle class and white, since the NME decided it was the cool thing to like.

Not a slight on the genre by the way, I do quite enjoy it, but it's funny seeing all these out of touch Indie kids act like there's this brand new musical revolution happening, involving a genre that was a thing before The Strokes released their first album.

29 minutes ago, Lad said:

You'd expect trouble with working class type bands?Oh and the fans will probably be white so no problems for you there.

Where issues exist it's with a strain of toxic masculinity that I'd certainly like to see the back of.

I've been assaulted at gigs twice.  First time was at Oasis at Main Road in 1996 when someone through a pint glass at my head in a pub outside the ground.  The second time was at the Stone Roses on Glasgow Green a couple of years back when someone punched me in the back of the head as they walked forward through the crowd.  

I mentioned the Courteeners as - per this post - one of their fans glassed someone in the crowd this year:

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Where issues exist it's with a strain of toxic masculinity that I'd certainly like to see the back of.

I've been assaulted at gigs twice.  First time was at Oasis at Main Road in 1996 when someone through a pint glass at my head in a pub outside the ground.  The second time was at the Stone Roses on Glasgow Green a couple of years back when someone punched me in the back of the head as they walked forward through the crowd.  

I mentioned the Courteeners as - per this post - one of their fans glassed someone in the crowd this year:

It's terrible that you've had those experiences anywhere.The same as it would be for anyone to be attacked at any concert.The toxic masculinity you mention must cross many different genres of music.Its fair enough for you to highlight the crap you've had to put up with though.

11 hours ago, magliad said:

To be fair and this might not be popular, Bestival was way more aggy last year and I put it down to the acts booked. 

Bestival tends to attract a younger crowd, younger crowds getting tanked up and taking drugs are liable to be more aggy and territorial than an older crowd - and I say that as someone that loves Bestival, someone will have gone there and found the crowd to be really nice and chilled, only takes a couple of minor incidents to impact on the perception. The attitudes could have been worse because of some of the tech-house acts booked, or the fact the festival was hugely underwhelming for a whole load of people, there was definitely no more or less grime on there than in recent years.

29 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Bestival tends to attract a younger crowd, younger crowds getting tanked up and taking drugs are liable to be more aggy and territorial than an older crowd - and I say that as someone that loves Bestival, someone will have gone there and found the crowd to be really nice and chilled, only takes a couple of minor incidents to impact on the perception. The attitudes could have been worse because of some of the tech-house acts booked, or the fact the festival was hugely underwhelming for a whole load of people, there was definitely no more or less grime on there than in recent years.

Out of interest, because I was thinking of going, do you think it will change this year now that Bestival has effectively merged with Camp Bestival, which was a festival with a very different ethos, and is moving away from the IoW ?

2 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Out of interest, because I was thinking of going, do you think it will change this year now that Bestival has effectively merged with Camp Bestival, which was a festival with a very different ethos, and is moving away from the IoW ?

Don't be put off by the people that are saying that Bestival wasn't very good last year. They are liars.

If I was still going to be in the country, I'd be there like a shot again. Great festival.

8 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Don't be put off by the people that are saying that Bestival wasn't very good last year. They are liars.

If I was still going to be in the country, I'd be there like a shot again. Great festival.

I wasn't actually there this year, not actually been since 2013 but it was always my 2nd favourite festival. I honestly think this year will be a return to form for the festival, the crowds have never been bad in all the years I went and I can't see any reason for that to change now. I do think that the crowd will remain relatively young, certainly in comparison to Camp Bestival, if I wasn't in Northern Spain watching a cycling race I would be at Bestival this year in a flash.

4 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I'm not sure that "effectively merged" is fair.

They're still separate events, running 5 weeks apart, with mostly different lineups and a very different target audience. The only thing that's changed is that they're now using the same site and a similar layout. They'll share some of the attractions/venues, but that's always been the case even when they were on different sites.

For what it's worth having been to both I actually prefer Lulworth to Robin Hill as a festival site (even regardless of travel issues), but the thing that would always prevent me going back to Camp B is the sheer number of kids running about.

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'm not sure that "effectively merged" is fair.

They're still separate events, running 5 weeks apart, with mostly different lineups and a very different target audience. The only thing that's changed is that they're now using the same site and a similar layout. They'll share some of the attractions/venues, but that's always been the case even when they were on different sites.

For what it's worth having been to both I actually prefer Lulworth to Robin Hill as a festival site (even regardless of travel issues), but the thing that would always prevent me going back to Camp B is the sheer number of kids running about.

Thanks for that. My mistake, I thought that it was just one festival now but a little internet research would have shown that I was wrong (insert slap hand emoticon).