Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

47 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

any updates re the ticket situation - assume it isnt sold out yet? i have a friend who keeps spending all her money and not getting a ticket haah

So far every ticket is available,  other than the Saturday Day ticket

35 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

My group are planning to go to Brussels for a few days before RW, any must see sights or bars people can recommend? 

If you're into beer I'd suggest (besides the classic Moeder Lambic, Cantillon etc..) Brussel Beer Project and L'Amère à Boire.

On 07/04/2018 at 6:43 PM, RUMINE said:

Looking like the best option for our group too but getting to the Manchester pick up point sounds like a pain, especially since they won't tell us the timetable yet... 

Try and find a timetable for 2017, they won’t alter by much. 

6 hours ago, Dan12345 said:

That place looks amazing, definitely going there for a day

Would disagree. Was a tourist hotspot and a bit of a dive when I went. Actually couldn't believe it had been recommended to me.

Loads of decent bars off the beaten track in Brussels though. Poechenellekelder was among the best.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, lagerlout said:

Does anyone know what hours the shuttle bus runs?  We're heading there on Wednesday but hadn't considered this part of the journey.

EDIT:  Found them here:

I'm not sure these will be accurate for 2018. I know the last 4 times I've been theres only been one "line" but would assume the timings will be something similar. Worth mentioning that The Hive doesn't open until 3pm I don't think

22 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I'm not sure these will be accurate for 2018. I know the last 4 times I've been theres only been one "line" but would assume the timings will be something similar. Worth mentioning that The Hive doesn't open until 3pm I don't think

D'oh!  Didn't notice it was 4 years old, just that it was on the official page.  

2 minutes ago, lagerlout said:

D'oh!  Didn't notice it was 4 years old, just that it was on the official page.  

Haha! I wouldn't worry too much about the shuttle though. It runs pretty much constantly throughout the festival and if you get there early theres plenty of nice bars to get a drink in in Leuven while you wait :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thetechi said:

With so much positivity on social media, I'm still so surprised that not more tickets have been sold. 

Do you reckon they've upped the capacity this year, with the new stage and bigger barn??

I suppose not, as there's no expansion of the actual festival grounds I expect the capacity is still 88000 or so

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

No, the capacity is exactly the same. 

I think there are serval factors for the slower sale:

- Graspop will attract a big part of the (hard)rock crowd because of their great lineup.

- The 2 Werchter events before the actual 4 day event, Boutique and Ed Sheeran, will attract a lot of youngsters (who don't have too much money to spend on 2-3 events) 

- Pinkpop, although it's lineup isn't that great, has 3 headliners that will prevent a lot of Dutch attendees from going to Belgium. And Best Kept Secret / Down The Rabbit Hole both have a good/great lineup. 

I'll add that Mad Cool attracted a lot of international festival goers who does 1-2 festivals outside their country. Eventually both festivals shares a lot of acts but when Mad Cool had announced a big chunk of their poster earlier this year,   RW had only few names. 

There are still almost  3 months till the festival starts and I believe that RW will sell all the combi tickets and Sunday tickets as well while Friday and Thursday remain to be seen. It usually doesn't sell out early anyway. 

Edited by e2p2

13 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I'll add that Mad Cool attracted a lot of international festival goers who does 1-2 festivals outside their country. Eventually both festivals shares a lot of acts but when Mad Cool had announced a big chunk of their poster earlier this year,   RW had only few names. 

There are still almost  3 months till the festival starts and I believe that RW will sell all the combi tickets and Sunday tickets as well while Friday and Thursday remain to be seen. It usually doesn't sell out early anyway. 

We were meant to be going to Mad Cool but left it too late so there were only day tickets, and then the day with Pearl Jam on had sold out.  Looked at Lisbon, but a few of the acts at Mad Cool like Massive Attack were missing.  After a few beers we booked this instead!  Cheaper than 3 day tickets at the other places, easy to get to with a tent on eurostar, and 4 days of music.  Wide range of bands too, I previously mainly attended festivals like Download but like a bit of variety now.

13 hours ago, e2p2 said:

Totally agree with this. Although I think Rock Werchter has a better (if not very similar) line-up this year, Mad Cool pretty much had a complete program of bands announced while RW only had Gorillaz, Nick Cave, QOTSA and Pearl Jam. Music mags were already calling the Mad Cool line-up "the festival of the year" while Werchter were dicking around with 4 acts!

Agree + both Mad Cool and RW have a great line up. Mad Cool though has all the nice bands from Werchter as well as Massive attack/Depeche Mode which maybe adds to its popularity this year. Also the festival is cheaper than Werchter. Will probably be a good move from Werchter to announce more bands at an earlier stage next year.

35 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Agree + both Mad Cool and RW have a great line up. Mad Cool though has all the nice bands from Werchter as well as Massive attack/Depeche Mode which maybe adds to its popularity this year. Also the festival is cheaper than Werchter. Will probably be a good move from Werchter to announce more bands at an earlier stage next year.

I think people who have done werchter a few times would be giving mad cool and other fests a try. 

Werchter can get quite repetitive, a festival which is pretty much just about the lineup rather than say a sziget or Glastonbury. 

I myself preferred Mad Cool over Werchter because at the time when the first was selling out, Werchter were still with just the headliners, and although Werchter will be probably better organized from a logistic point of view, there is more quality AND quantity  in Mad Cool's  lineup IMHO. This paired with less costs, festival nearby a major capital, better weather, wiser marketing campaign, I'd say game, set, match.

• Downvote 1

The Sunday schedule changed a bit - David Byrne got additional ten minutes, so all the KluB C  & the Barn shows move ten minutes forward. So anyone who thought they have some time after NIN to get a spot at Nick Cave need to carefully think what to do, NIN ends exactly when Cave starts. There might be additional changes later of course.

Edited by e2p2

19 hours ago, thetime said:

I think people who have done werchter a few times would be giving mad cool and other fests a try. 

Werchter can get quite repetitive, a festival which is pretty much just about the lineup rather than say a sziget or Glastonbury. 

I think you're right about that. You can always count on Werchter having enough good band's but they follow the same pattern over the years for ex. Kings of Leon and Editors having played the festival at least 4 times each in the years I've been there.