Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

3 hours ago, santowhir said:

I think MGMT are more likely to play at night and Jack Johnson in the day.

last time (2014) Jack Johnson played he closed down one of the side stages.
So he will not play during the day this time around

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Might as well post my list here.

THURSDAY:
Must-sees: Gorillaz, Queens Of The Stone Age, Vince Staples
Like to see: Steven Wilson, At The Drive In, The Vaccines, Alice In Chains

FRIDAY:
Must-sees: Anderson.Paak, The Killers
Like to see: Ben Howard, Arsenal, Franz Ferdinand

SATURDAY:
Must-sees: Jack White, Fleet Foxes, Susanne Sundfor
Like to see: MGMT, Blackwave, Pearl Jam

SUNDAY:
Must-sees: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nine Inch Nails, David Byrne, Eels, Fever Ray
Like to see: Arctic Monkeys, Sigrid, Idles, NAO

The sunday clashes will hit hard, especially when mister Nick Cave and his Bad Seeds clash with Trent and the gang. Arguably my 2 favorite acts of the whole festival so far.

Me too... I already have nightmares about Cave and Reznor clashing.

please no. No. NO!

17 hours ago, Aech said:

Seems like everyone over at Festileaks is doing this, so I thought I'd bring it over here:

17 hours ago, lighthouse said:

16 hours ago, TheWerchterJuggernaut said:

12 hours ago, Jimmerz95 said:

I do a "hype list" with every festival I go to, using the poster. Will post it when I get home 

5a9eab7515c23_Hypelist.thumb.jpg.0f3ec8edfc05c61dbe528d9be6f23b6c.jpg

Ok so:

Red outline = Must see

Blue outline = Really like to see

Black outline = Interested

THURSDAY:
Must-sees: Gorillaz
Like to see: Queen of the stone age, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Vaccines

FRIDAY:
Must-sees: The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol
Like to see: The Kooks

SATURDAY:
Must-sees: MGMT
Like to see: Jack Johnson, Susanne Sundfør, Fleet Foxes

SUNDAY:
Must-sees: Arctic Monkeys
Like to see: Idles, Eels, Rone

53 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Nick Cave live > Pearl Jam live and you all know it

:P

They're both awesome live! Both controls the crowds perfectly, Nick Cave make you watch him in awe while Pearl Jam make you feel they're playing just for you.. 4 months to go, I Cant wait!!! 

Edited by e2p2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

I am welcoming a roast but here this;

not interested in PJ, QOTSA or Nick Cave (maybe for the spectactle though)

shows the depth of the lineup that i still think its the best fest out there and not fussed about half the headliners!

That's what I love about this festival. Everyone has different tastes in music but it seems to accommodate pretty well.

34 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

I am welcoming a roast but here this;

not interested in PJ, QOTSA or Nick Cave (maybe for the spectactle though)

shows the depth of the lineup that i still think its the best fest out there and not fussed about half the headliners!

Nick Cave is a bit like Radiohead for me, other than one or two songs I just don't get it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

I recommend you to go to the front when Cave's on. Even if you're not that big of a fan. Rarely have I seen an entertainer so involved into the crowd as him. 

People who are in awe about his current show arent lying or exaggerating. Truly was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. ^_^ The setlist was perfectly crafted too, like a rollercoaster ride.  

I'll likely be seeing him unless he clashes with Nine Inch Nails, even if that just means to wait for Arctic Monkeys. 

12 hours ago, ThijsDB said:

It's okay but why did you put Nick Cave - NIN - AM like that when you can see on the poster that Cave and AM are the headliners? Also, Alice In Chains and Stereophonics should be a little bit lower imo. 

I had a few conversations with my friends who are also attending Rock Werchter this year which slot Nine Inch Nails will get in the end. We've heard that Trent Reznor wasn't satisfied with their gigs in the previous editions because NIN had to play in the daylight or before an act with a pretty huge fanbase (Rammstein, Metallica), so the people in front of the stage weren't familiar with the NIN material etc.

My friends are guessing that Nine Inch Nails will close the Barn on Sunday, but I think NIN are waaaaaayyy to big to play in either of the tents, even if the Barn will increase in size.

In 2013 we had Nick Cave (90 min) - Volbeat (75 min) - Rammstein (90 min), so RW could do the same way in 2018 and put NIN in between Nick Cave and Arctic Monkeys. In this case Trent Reznor could play in the dark, Nick Cave doesn't need the night time for his show and Nick Cave - NIN - AM has a better "flow" than puting Nick Cave between two rock acts.

Alice in Chains are the biggest "rock" act besides QotSA on Thursday. I know they played much in earlier back in 2010 but I've read that AIC and At the Drive in are each getting 75 min. at Mad Cool Festival, so they could easily play right before the Thursday headliners.

For Saturday I think the Main Stage will be focused on straight rock bands (Pearl Jam, Jack White, Stereophonics, Stone Sour, Struts), while the Barn seems to be filled with more "mellow guitar music" (Jack Johnson, Fleet Foxes, Dotan, MGMT). Right now there isn't a typical rock act between Jack White and Stereophonics when you look at the homepage. Since the Saturday is already sold out I would assume they won't add another new act right before Jack White. I mentioned a few pages before that Alice in Chains could have been originally planned to play on Saturday, but switched the day with Stone Sour because of ticket sale reasons.

I've heard a couple times that The Slope is meant ot be a "talent stage" for local artists, so I guess we can expect some reeeeeeaaally small acts for this stage.

Edited by Hullabaloo92
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I had a few conversations with my friends who are also attending ock Werchter this year which slot Nine Inch Nails will get in the end. We've heard that Trent Reznor wasn't satisfied with their gigs in the previous editions because NIN had to play in the daylight or before an act with a pretty huge fanbase (Rammstein, Metallica), so the people in front of the stage weren't familiar with the NIN material etc.

My friends are guessing that Nine Inch Nails will close the Barn on Sunday, but I think NIN are waaaaaayyy to big to play in either of the tents, even if the Barn will increase in size.

In 2013 we had Nick Cave (90 min) - Volbeat (75 min) - Rammstein (90 min), so RW could do the same way in 2018 and put NIN in between Nick Cave and Arctic Monkeys. In this case Trent Reznor could play in the dark, Nick Cave doesn't need the night time for his show and Nick Cave - NIN - AM has a better "flow" than puting Nick Cave between two rock acts.

Alice in Chains are the biggest "rock" act besides QotSA on Thursday. I know they played much in earlier back in 2010 but I've read that AIC and At the Drive in are each getting 75 min. at Mad Cool Festival, so they could easily play right before the Thursday headliners.

For Saturday I think the Main Stage will be focused on straight rock bands (Pearl Jam, Jack White, Stereophonics, Stone Sour, Struts), while the Barn seems to be filled with more "mellow guitar music" (Jack Johnson, Fleet Foxes, Dotan, MGMT). Right now there isn't a typical rock act between Jack White and Stereophonics when you look at the homepage. Since the Saturday is already sold out I would assume they won't add another new act right before Jack White. I mentioned a few pages before that Alice in Chains could have been originally planned to play on Saturday, but switched the day with Stone Sour because of ticket sale reasons.

I've heard a couple times that The Slope is meant ot be a "talent stage" for local artists, so I guess we can expect some reeeeeeaaally small acts for this stage.

If that was the case in 2013 it makes sense then, I'd be much happier with that anyway as it doesn't feel right seeing Nine Inch Nails in the light.

Realistically hoping for runs like this, Friday and Saturday are quite overloaded for me atm:
James Bay-QOTSA-Gorillaz
Kooks-Franz-CHVRCHES-Ben Howard-Anderson.Paak-The Killers (Snow Patrol or London Grammar if there are no clashes)
Stereophonics-MGMT-Fleet Foxes-Khalid-Jack White-Pearl Jam
Kaleo-Amazons-Eels-NIN-Arctics 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah but will Cave agree with this? Can't imagine him playing at 18h nowadays, since he's (co-)headlining each festival he's billed on this year. I'm sure Cave and Arctics will play an equally long set too. I think the 2 top acts on the each day on the website are the 2 closing main stage acts. 

Plus: putting NiN right before AM surely wouldn't yield a better crowd than Rammstein or Metallica, so for Trent closing the Barn would surely be the better deal, no? I think Trent is done with playing main stages in front of someone elses crowd. And The Barn will guarantee darkness during the whole set. 

And IF NiN is playing the main stage, I think they're playing right before Cave. Crowd-wise that seems like a better fit. Don't see them drawing a bigger crowd than The Bad Seeds. I'm a HUGE fan of both, mind. And I'd love seeing them both. 

Of course Nick Cave will get a 90 min. Slot, I think taht's undebatable.

I just wanted to point out that has played before the actual Subheadliner in 2013, so we might see a constellation like this again. (or NIN will just play before Cave...)

In my opinion Nine Inch Nails are way to big to play in the Barn, I would be shocked if they actually play there. They played right before the Headliner every single time they were attending this festival. Eels seem to be the better fit for this job, because they were subbing The Barn in 2014 and closing it in 2018 would be pretty realistic.

This Sunday reminds me of last years Saturday where we got 3 really huge names (Linkin Park - System of A Down - Blink 182 / Arctic Monkeys - Nick Cave - Nine Inch Nails) and the other acts were kinda falling off in terms of size.

Even bands like Prophets of Rage or Alt-J in 2017 played on the main stage and are smaller than NIN :D

54 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

In my opinion Nine Inch Nails are way to big to play in the Barn, I would be shocked if they actually play there. They played right before the Headliner every single time they were attending this festival.

I mean, we've had bands like Tame Impala, Elbow and The Pixies play The Barn and now it's gonna be even bigger. Also Nick Cave and AM are 100% gonna close the mainstage and I think NIN would actually prefer to headline The Barn than play mainstage at 6pm. Especially at RW, The Barn isn't 'just a side stage', it's an honour to headline it. 

31 minutes ago, ThijsDB said:

I mean, we've had bands like Tame Impala, Elbow and The Pixies play The Barn and now it's gonna be even bigger. Also Nick Cave and AM are 100% gonna close the mainstage and I think NIN would actually prefer to headline The Barn than play mainstage at 6pm. Especially at RW, The Barn isn't 'just a side stage', it's an honour to headline it. 

Yeah, my money's on NIN to close the Barn, probably scheduled in between AM and Nick Cave. I hope this is the case anyway, it'll be a better atmosphere in the Barn

17 minutes ago, McCallion said:

Yeah, my money's on NIN to close the Barn, probably scheduled in between AM and Nick Cave. I hope this is the case anyway, it'll be a better atmosphere in the Barn

NIN in the Barn would be awesome...most of the best shows I've seen have been in there! B)

1 hour ago, Phantom_Zone said:

NIN in the Barn would be awesome...most of the best shows I've seen have been in there! B)

Totally agree, all the production of their show in THAT space! One for the ages. I'll look forward to watching it with a hot dog outside because I can't get in! Haha