Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

44 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

yo - we did bruges and ghent pre werchter - going to do brussels this year - have fun :D

Planning on visiting a nearby country or Belgian city before or after the festival too!

Me and my mates usually do a fairly broad road trip when we hit RW but we are quite limited this year due to work. 

Are there any particular places around Belgium that anyone would recommend? Somewhere that has plenty to see and a good atmosphere at night.

Also, thought I would bring up the fact that we are again in a World Cup year and RW will be in the middle of the quarter finals. Always an amazing atmosphere when the footy is on and I hope England and Belgium both qualify out the group!

38 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Also, thought I would bring up the fact that we are again in a World Cup year and RW will be in the middle of the quarter finals. Always an amazing atmosphere when the footy is on and I hope England and Belgium both qualify out the group!

Forgot about that! Will be a great atmosphere. Do they show the football at the festival or is there somewhere nearby?

Edit: Looks like the quarters clash with the festival. Doubt England will get that far anyway but would be good to have the option see them if they are playing the early kick off. Of course I will prioritise the music if anything I like clashes :P 

Edited by CRW5252

7 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Forgot about that! Will be a great atmosphere. Do they show the football at the festival or is there somewhere nearby?

Edit: Looks like the quarters clash with the festival. Doubt England will get that far anyway but would be good to have the option see them if they are playing the early kick off. Of course I will prioritise the music if anything I like clashes :P 

Two years ago they showed the Belgian red devils playing Wales at the Euros on a big screen at a separate part of the festival ground amid food stands. Four years ago two bands were cancelled to show a Belgium-game in Klub-C. Since I am not a fan of our "national" team, such thing are not necessary at all for me. But these last years the devils are an incredible hype, so everyone calls himself a football-fan during the euros or worldcups and everyone goes crazy (to see them lose against the first decent team they play :-) )

No other matches to be seen on the festivalground. I don't know if the bars in de neighbourhood (near the Werchter-church for example) show them.

Big problem for the beer-fans, by the way. The normal lager at the festivalground named Jupiler, changed his name to "Belgium" to promote our famous national footballteam. The horror! I might have to drink Hoegaarden now. Or water.

9 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

I remember four years ago they showed all quarter finals on a big screen at the Hive. They showed Holland - Costa Rica additionally on a big screen on the festival grounds as well (where The Slope is now). And I remember watching Belgium - Argentina at the North West Walls, was that the same match they showed in KlubC?

Wasn't there in 2016 though, so no idea if they changed that.

Edited by visdave34

24 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I remember four years ago they showed all quarter finals on a big screen at the Hive. They showed Holland - Costa Rica additionally on a big screen on the festival grounds as well (where The Slope is now). And I remember watching Belgium - Argentina at the North West Walls, was that the same match they showed in KlubC?

Wasn't there in 2016 though, so no idea if they changed that.

I remember a really weird experience in 2016 with half the crowd at the mainstage watching The Offspring, and the other half pretending to watch The Offspring whilst constantly turning around the check the Belgium Wales game being shown at the North West Wall. Was a mad one!

18 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I remember a really weird experience in 2016 with half the crowd at the mainstage watching The Offspring, and the other half pretending to watch The Offspring whilst constantly turning around the check the Belgium Wales game being shown at the North West Wall. Was a mad one!

Luckily Wales won!

Right, so I always predict and always get it wildly wrong, so I'm going to specifically give a wishlist from this weeks Pinkpop announcement.

Today I'm hoping for...

Noel Gallagher, Nothing But Thieves, A Perfect Circle, The Last Internationale, Marmozets, Sigrid, The Academic

16 minutes ago, McCallion said:

Right, so I always predict and always get it wildly wrong, so I'm going to specifically give a wishlist from this weeks Pinkpop announcement.

Today I'm hoping for...

Noel Gallagher, Nothing But Thieves, A Perfect Circle, The Last Internationale, Marmozets, Sigrid, The Academic

APC plays Graspop, so don't think so.

Anyway, if I'm informed right, no announcement today.

2 hours ago, fillou said:

But these last years the devils are an incredible hype, so everyone calls himself a football-fan during the euros or worldcups and everyone goes crazy (to see them lose against the first decent team they play :-) )

This sounds exactly like being an England fan for the last 20 years ....... 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Cammers said:

Planning on visiting a nearby country or Belgian city before or after the festival too!

Me and my mates usually do a fairly broad road trip when we hit RW but we are quite limited this year due to work. 

Are there any particular places around Belgium that anyone would recommend? Somewhere that has plenty to see and a good atmosphere at night.

Ghent had a pretty wild nightlife .   It's studenty and had a strip ... Was carnage.

You're brave doing something after the festival couldn't handle that myself !!!

6 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Would love to see The Districts there! I noticed they announced some European dates for June yesterday... but it did include a Brussels date :(

Yeah, also pretty certain they'll be back in the States after their stuff in June