Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

3 hours ago, RUMINE said:

Hi guys, sorry if this has already been answered but have all the headliners been announced? Are we expecting any more co-headliners for the likes of Jack White/QOTSA? From what I gather, QOTSA, Jack White, AM, The Killers, Gorillaz & Nick Cave are all headliners so at least one will be a co headliner I presume? Based on Mad Cools billing could we still see Kasabian pop up under Pearl Jam? (or are Gorillaz RW's Kasabian sized equivalent in comparison to MC)

Again sorry if this has been asked before, the lack of a proper lineup poster is probably the issue here. Quite hard to get a gist of the billing without that - been reading the description of the bands on the website but still didn't find that too helpful...

In terms of subs, are we expecting many more big name/possible sub level acts to be announced? With (subjectively) big names like At The Drive In, The Vaccines, Ben Howard, and George Ezra all being pretty mid-highish line up level only recently being announced I would guess there is still room in the coming Fridays for a couple big name acts (possibly subs) just above them like Tame Impala/Childish Gambino/Franz Ferdinand/Chemical Brothers or some slightly smaller acts like Wolf Alice or Glass Animals to sub one of the coheadliner days? Apologies if any of these bands have already been announced not playing/clash with other fests.

Finally, after only ever going to R+L in the past does anyone know if 'secret sets' are commonplace in other festivals, eg. Rock Werchter? 

Sorry for the long, question filled post :/

OK where to start... 

I think we aren't due another headliner but I'd like to think we will get a nice big act for Friday to sub headline (not co-headline).

The acts tba will all be quite well known. Expect many more acts similar level to Vaccines. Look at the Mad Cool line up, I'm expecting a similar undercard. 

It's always useful to look at previous years line up posters. 

There wasn't a secret set last year (the only year I've been) and I've heard before that secret sets haven't happened in the past. 

The fest is VERY different to Reading festival, for better or worse. I prefer Rock Werchter but did feel it missed the same kind of camping. At R+L camping is absolute carnage and you enjoy the Disaster as it happens but Rock Werchter is tame in comparison. 

Hope this helped

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jimmerz95 said:

The fest is VERY different to Reading festival, for better or worse. I prefer Rock Werchter but did feel it missed the same kind of camping. At R+L camping is absolute carnage and you enjoy the Disaster as it happens but Rock Werchter is tame in comparison. 

As a Brit who used to attend R&L, I’m personally very happy that RW is different. I’d be very sad if lots of R&L goers attend and behave like recent years there where the festival has become awful and somewhere I would rather not be. There are idiots everywhere you go, but largely RW has a good crowd who go for the love of music, not to cause trouble. There are many older attendees who’ve likely been going to RW for decades. 

• Like 1

Heading to RW for the first time this year- super excited! Got a couple of questions though:

1) Planning on leaving London on Wednesday at midday (so getting to Werchter early/mid afternoon) and we’ve got camping spots in The Hive. Will there still be plenty of spots available?

2) What is the atmosphere like in The Hive after the last act.

3) How stringent are the searches of your bags heading into the Hive?

As for acts, I’m still hoping for a couple more major ones- Tame Impala and Childish Gambino would be amazing. 

1 hour ago, Brandonflowers said:

Heading to RW for the first time this year- super excited! Got a couple of questions though:

1) Planning on leaving London on Wednesday at midday (so getting to Werchter early/mid afternoon) and we’ve got camping spots in The Hive. Will there still be plenty of spots available?

2) What is the atmosphere like in The Hive after the last act.

3) How stringent are the searches of your bags heading into the Hive?

As for acts, I’m still hoping for a couple more major ones- Tame Impala and Childish Gambino would be amazing. 

There should be space if you purchased MySpace, we got there about 4pm last year and they had a large camping area closed off for about a hour, was utter chaos when they took the fences down but there was plenty of room.

I found it pretty good last year, the 'party barn' as we were calling it was always busy and lively, people were still dancing for about an hour or so after they closed it on the last night haha

I think it would obviously depend on the person searching your bag but I thought they would be more thorough than they were, we managed to get a glass bottle of vodka into the campsite that we had accidentally forgotten to empty into bottles.

Edited by jackhansen31

On 17-2-2018 at 6:53 PM, RUMINE said:

Finally, after only ever going to R+L in the past does anyone know if 'secret sets' are commonplace in other festivals, eg. Rock Werchter? 

Sorry for the long, question filled post :/

no secret sets, been to werchter since 2009, and there have been 0 secret sets.

what does happen sometimes is that bands invite somebody on stage

snow patrol + sheeran in 2010 (i think)
Pearl jam with Them Crooked Vultures and with an other band
Foo fighters with allison mossheart from the kills (last year)

On 18/02/2018 at 1:25 AM, chazwwe said:

What's the ruling about taking alcohol in? Same as other fests with plastic bottles allowed? Any limits? 

No alcohol can be brought in from outside and you go through metal detectors and a quick pat down each time you enter the arena/stage area. However, it was so easy to sneak in a couple of small bottles of spirits each day last year.

2 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

No alcohol can be brought in from outside and you go through metal detectors and a quick pat down each time you enter the arena/stage area. However, it was so easy to sneak in a couple of small bottles of spirits each day last year.

To clarify a bit further, the above is about the festival arena. In campings, glass is not allowed, so make sure your beers are cans and your wine/spirits are poured into plastic. No specified limits as I recall, had no problem with bringing in loads. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Well, let's hope the festival security isn't reading this thread then! ;) 

51 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Shame. They are one of the best live bands I've seen. On the other hand; they probably will show up next year. 

That means maybe a mixture of last editions headliners for 2019 : Muse, Mumford and Sons, Metallica... 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aech said:

To people who are travelling from England, how much do you typically spend on travel? Don't know whether to go buy car or train.

I take the Eurostar. The trip there and back cost me around £80 I think.

3 minutes ago, Tuggster said:

So does anyone think there is another sub name to come or is that it for the "Well Known" acts to be named?

Take a look at last years line up and compare, I’d say there’s more to come. But it’s all subjective so take a look and make your own judgement.

4 minutes ago, Tuggster said:

So does anyone think there is another sub name to come or is that it for the "Well Known" acts to be named?

I still feel that Friday is lacking either a big sub, co-headliner or closing (dance) act as I expect London Grammer to be headlining the Barn. Tame Impala, The XX or Justice come to mind for those spots. But with RW, you just never know...

• Upvote 1