Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Name wise...performance aside....LP, Blink and SOAD for records shit over PJ and Jack for me, I'm not PJ fan at all though bar not minding 1/2 songs maybe. Jack White I like but it's more so for the alternate projects, his 1st album was okay. He would restart The White Stripes tomorrow if Meg was game.

With Blink I'm on the side that it's not Blink without Tom as he was just as much a singer as Mark.....but they don't sound good live I admit. 

I'm a bit biased with LP but even I got to the stage where I didn't like enough of the material that dawn on their shows or that output now enough. The YouTube video is great but Chester and fairplay can't shout like he did. HT is full at Download was a great show for my last....shame about the venue and event it was hosted at but hey.....I pretty much owe my about 8-10 years of my life for the band though, not just Chester.

LP were very bad received at metal festivals because their last album was a bit RnB, and a lot of narrow-minded metalheads came with negative intentions before the shows had started, that's why a lot of people found it awful at Hellfest and Downloads; but at RW the band had a really good time!

55 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Were you inside? They close the gates often due to people that stays near the entrances instead of getting inside. Since they replace the yellow tent with the hangar tent I recall multiple times that I got to the Barn a few minutes after the show started and I couldnt enter though my friends told me its far from being full inside. 

no, i wasn't and i had no idea about that.

The Barn situation was kinda shitty last year, I've never witnessed that the Barn/Klub C got closed before an act even started their set. Explanation was that it got too full for some acts but that's bullocks I think + I think they should let people come in and out from the side aswell like they used to do. The only way to enter the tents was via the main entrances, but if I recall correctlly from 2016, I could enter from the sides aswell (before a show, not while).

Plus a lot of people stay in the back so that it looks when you enter that the tent is packed, but in most cases, the front it seems about fine. Hope they fix that

Edited by arcuse

17 minutes ago, arcuse said:

The Barn situation was kinda shitty last year, I've never witnessed that the Barn/Klub C got closed before an act even started their set. Explanation was that it got too full for some acts but that's bullocks I think + I think they should let people come in and out from the side aswell like they used to do. The only way to enter the tents was via the main entrances, but if I recall correctlly from 2016, I could enter from the sides aswell (before a show, not while).

Plus a lot of people stay in the back so that it looks when you enter that the tent is packed, but in most cases, the front it seems about fine. Hope they fix that

Yeah,  in 2015/2016 you could enter from the sides. Even though it had the annoyng poles,  I miss the old Barn!

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Name wise...performance aside....LP, Blink and SOAD for records shit over PJ and Jack for me, I'm not PJ fan at all though bar not minding 1/2 songs maybe. Jack White I like but it's more so for the alternate projects, his 1st album was okay. He would restart The White Stripes tomorrow if Meg was game.

With Blink I'm on the side that it's not Blink without Tom as he was just as much a singer as Mark.....but they don't sound good live I admit. 

I'm a bit biased with LP but even I got to the stage where I didn't like enough of the material that dawn on their shows or that output now enough. The YouTube video is great but Chester and fairplay can't shout like he did. HT is full at Download was a great show for my last....shame about the venue and event it was hosted at but hey.....I pretty much owe my about 8-10 years of my life for the band though, not just Chester.

That made me laugh, Blink, LP and SOAD and probably most overrated bands of last 25 years, well anything called pop-punk or nu-metal. PJ are the best live band in the world. Gotta agree, their last few albums are pretty average

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tremousse said:

LP were very bad received at metal festivals because their last album was a bit RnB, and a lot of narrow-minded metalheads came with negative intentions before the shows had started, that's why a lot of people found it awful at Hellfest and Downloads; but at RW the band had a really good time!

I can see that, LP newer stuff for a few years at Hellfest would be terrible. TBH, I liked three songs from Living Things, The Hunting Party and A Thousand Suns....the later I admit at least one is more since Chester died as I think the lower tempo and words of the song represent something to me a bit more now. The couple of I heard from One More Light didn't impress me but tbh I didn't really know there was an album out.

44 minutes ago, pete76 said:

That made me laugh, Blink, LP and SOAD and probably most overrated bands of last 25 years, well anything called pop-punk or nu-metal. PJ are the best live band in the world. Gotta agree, their last few albums are pretty average

You say something makes you laugh and then describe I can only think of as Blink as pop-punk and SOAD....a well known heavy metal band as nu-metal lol. At least if you're going to bring your opinion over someone else's, then get the facts about your views correct. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

Is it just Corgan and friends? Or original lineup?

Original lineup minus D'arcy.

But can't see it happening just yet. Last time SP played Belgium was headlining Dour for about 6000-7000 people. Ain't no Jimmy Chamberlain and James Iha biffing that back up to RW headliner. And current rumours are saying an American tour this Summer, rest of the world later.

15 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

But can't see it happening just yet. Last time SP played Belgium was headlining Dour for about 6000-7000 people. Ain't no Jimmy Chamberlain and James Iha biffing that back up to RW headliner. And current rumours are saying an American tour this Summer, rest of the world later.

Ok cool, hopefully I get chance to see them see them somewhere on this tour. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

Smashing Pumpkins and Tool would make that Friday unbelievably good.... :D 

Edited by Gossard
  • Downvote 1

Hey guys,

I was usually just writing in German message boards but I couldn't resist to sign up on efestivals to share some thoughts about Rock Werchter 2018 with all of you ;)

During the last couple weeks I was making up my mind on how the original line up for 2018 could have looked like (assuming Metallica postponed their european summer tour for real.)

When I looked up some other shows that these following bands play during the same weekend I noticed that a few routings are not optimal, so I guess Rock Werchter may have switched acts like Gorillaz or Arctic Monkeys behind the scenes onto another day, which could also have been a reason why the first announcement for 2018 took so freaking long.

Here is my assumption:

Thursday: Metallica - Queens of the Stone Age - (....) - Stone Sour

Friday: Arctic Monkeys - (The Killers) - (......) - The Kooks

Saturday: Pearl Jam - Jack White - (...) - Alice in Chains

Sunday: Gorillaz - Nick Cave - Nine Inch Nails

Let me further explain:

a) Gorillaz: This band should have been booked for festivals very early, so it's unlikely that they wanted to play Rock Werchter - Open'er - Roskilde on three days in a row without a single gap in the first place.  In addition their Roskilde date was confirmed verly lately. I guess at least one of these festivals wanted to change the original date to leave the spot open for another headliner (Roskilde on Wednesday => possibly Eminem, Werchter on Sunday => Arctic Monkeys)

b)Arctic Monkeys: AM got an unusual routing for this weekend (Wednesday Poland, Friday Greece, Sunday Belgium). This date in Athens on the friday really grinds my gears, because (don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Greece or their people but) why should they make a trip to Greece when they could just headline a "Big Player" near Poland and Belgium like Roskilde, who is actually still missing a proper headliner for friday? Maybe because the original date on friday was blocked by another festival (Rock Werchter) for quite an amount of time and Oya Festival already sealed the deal for an exclusive AM Show in Denmark in August.

When you look at the RW Sunday, there is actually no other band of a smilar style as AM while the Friday at least got The Kooks and possibly more UK bands who are likely to play Rock Werchter (Liam Gallagher? Franz Ferdinand?)

=> these two headliners were relocated to leave a free headline spot on friday for another band that is yet to be announced and was only available on this specific day.

c) Alice in Chains: They are playing three shows in a row on 3rd July in Berlin, 4th July in Cologne and now on the 5th July in Werchter (and Eurocks in France three days later), what they don't do on the rest of the tour. The Saturday (7th July) would have been a better fit tourwise (more breaks in between the gigs) and bandwise (Pearl Jam). Rock Wechter may have some trouble to find more big names for the Thursday, so they could have swapped AIC with a more or less similar band (Stone Sour). Maybe the tickets for Saturday are also selling very well and people who want to see Pearl Jam AND Alice in Chains now have to buy a full weekend ticket instead of a single day ticket ;)

d) Stone Sour: Stone Sour were surely meant to be to play on the same day as Metallica (like Rock am Ring) and as I mentioned above AIC might attract a few more people than Stone Sour do, so  Stone Sour can easily play on a day that is already selling fast (Saturday aka Pearl Jam Day)

Opinions on this?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Not at all. As I said, Radiohead was my highlight of the weekend. And I rarely witnessed a crowd so into it as at their Werchter gig. (I was standing quite up front, mind)

In Rainbows is probably my favorite album by anyone ever so I was very pleased with the 6 IR songs and 7(!) OK Computer songs we got. 

Glad to hear that:) Those are two of my favourite albums as well. 

12 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Opinions on this?

They weren't booked yet (though RW was thinking about it) when they postponed/cancelled their festival summer tour. Gorillaz was booked as first, yes. 

About "the style" of a certain day; RW never really takes that into account, unless they purposefully want to bring a 'harder guitar'-based kind of day (Sat '17, Sat '16 etc..). Plus we still got a lot of names to come, so imagine if they booked Noel Gallagher as a sub before Nick Cave, would that change a lot then in your story? 

Last thing, about AiC and Stone Sour, why wouldn't they spread these kind of acts over different days?                                                               If you're a lover of rock/metal whatev music and you're going combi but you can only see what you like on 2 specific days, then what's in there for you then? Wouldn't it be easier if you bought 2 Day tickets (though that's almost as expensive as a combi so that person will probably choose one of those days and just buy 1 Day ticket instead of a combi where everything is spread).

Plus it makes more sense to spread everything because people will litteraly camp all day in front of the Mainstage, and you as a organisation gotta keep your visitors 'moving'; let em go to that Beerbar next to the Barn, let them eat food, explore the North West Walls.. etc

3 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

Would that make bands more likely or less likely given the difference in dates?

Hmm, I guess it depends on the touring schedule of the bands. For example, in 2016 RW and Leeds shared Foals, Disclosure, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The 1975, as well as a lot of the lower tier acts. Also, if there's a headliner in the mix for this years Leeds Fest that hasn't been announced for any other European fests they could maybe fill the Friday gap at RW :) 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, McCallion said:

Hmm, I guess it depends on the touring schedule of the bands. For example, in 2016 RW and Leeds shared Foals, Disclosure, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The 1975, as well as a lot of the lower tier acts. Also, if there's a headliner in the mix for this years Leeds Fest that hasn't been announced for any other European fests they could maybe fill the Friday gap at RW :) 

Ah I see that makes sense, wasn’t sure if it was clear cut either way. More hats to throw in the ring!