Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

Hi all

the initial announcements weren't to my taste so i switched off from forum.

with recent announcements i am massively swayed. To save me trawling through 54 pages can someone give me the lowdown on who is likely to be announced - as far fetched as you like - and who is ruled out.

Sorry to those who have heard this all before.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Hi all

with recent announcements i am massively swayed. To save me trawling through 54 pages can someone give me the lowdown on who is likely to be announced - as far fetched as you like - and who is ruled out.

Thanks

Look at the Mad Cool and NOS line ups and you will already see similarties. We are expecting to see much more of the same in the upcoming announcements on Fridays. 

The main rumor on this forum for Friday is the Killers to co-headline, after they sell our their show in Belgium. Many acts have been ruled out for several reasons but I'd be here typing for ages as the list is very long :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Hi all

Thanks

Not 100% reliable, but I did this clashfinder times ago with my previsions, I added the announcements day by day. As I said it is not reliable but sure can give you an idea

https:///s/previsionalwerchter2018/?user=parmiggiana

(Also, BTW, if somebody wants to come and tell me which acts are ruled out, be welcome!)

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Not 100% reliable, but I did this clashfinder times ago with my previsions, I added the announcements day by day. As I said it is not reliable but sure can give you an idea

https:///s/previsionalwerchter2018/?user=parmiggiana

(Also, BTW, if somebody wants to come and tell me which acts are ruled out, be welcome!)

Massive Attack are headlining Les Ardentes and The National will very probably be attending and/or playing Eaux Claires, Aaron Dessner’s and Justin Vernon’s festival in the US, taking place in the same weekend. So both can be considered ruled out. Rumours seem to point to LCD’s return to the US before RW and The War on Drugs are nailed on for Pukkelpop, so they are both highly unlikely.

Other than that, nice job!! Although I don’t believe they will add Muse to that friday with a lineup already this strong. And Kasabian in KlubC will never happen. 

Edited by visdave34

it looks to me like an extremely optimistic clashfinder, too many strong acts there, especially on the tent slots. that would probably be (one of) the best line up(s) ever, at least in terms of the undercard. at least 2-3 local acts will get important slots in the tent, happens every year.

Edited by neacaisa

21 hours ago, lighthouse said:

But isn't the NOS lineup very similar to RW (only with a lesser amount of names)? Like I said: the only NOS headliner RW doen't have is The National. Or am I missing something? Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch Nails, Snow Patrol, Pearl Jam, Queens Of The Stone Age are all on both line-ups. And so far, smaller names like Eels, BRMC, Khalid, MGMT, The Kooks too. 

How can you think that RW isn't that great, but NOS is? 

I prefer the overall line up of NOS and haven’t been impressed with undercard at RW so far.  As i said originally, it’s all opinions. 

11 minutes ago, Red Day said:

I prefer the overall line up of NOS and haven’t been impressed with undercard at RW so far.  As i said originally, it’s all opinions. 

I'd probably agree based on it now, there is a couple of acts but generally if I'd have bought a Werchter ticket I'd be happy that I should be able to get rid quite easy. I think RAR, Hurricane and strangely for me Graspop looks good this year. Mad Cool has an attraction to me, Friday being bar far the strongest and Saturday for Rag n Bone Man and Depeche Mode...and I'm only really bothered by the latter. Primavera bar Arctics and Lorde although it's good for what it is but it's never been my thing.

12 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

Just a thought Depeche Mode are free on the Friday, play Opener in Poland day before and Main Square France the next day.

Unlikely as they seem to have a day free between shows and no reason not to be announced yet, but could fit as a co headline with the killers...

Not going to happen unfortunately. Looking at their tour page, they never play 2 or 3 days in a row

23 hours ago, lighthouse said:

But isn't the NOS lineup very similar to RW (only with a lesser amount of names)? Like I said: the only NOS headliner RW doen't have is The National. Or am I missing something? Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch Nails, Snow Patrol, Pearl Jam, Queens Of The Stone Age are all on both line-ups. And so far, smaller names like Eels, BRMC, Khalid, MGMT, The Kooks too. 

How can you think that RW isn't that great, but NOS is? 

I'm in the same boat as Lighthouse, I'm also expecting a lot of the undercard to be the same with the upcoming announcements. The line ups are so similar that it's hard to say RW is better/worse considering the next announcements will definitely include more of the same acts, but with an added day at RW. 

Really wouldn't be surprised if the next few weeks includes: Franz Ferdinand, AR the Drive in, Alice in Chains, Friendly Fires etc. 

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

Totally agree, musical taste is very subjective isnt it? For example, nothing this year beats last year's line-up if I go to my personal opinion. 

Edited by ParanoidTourist
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Totally agree, musical taste is very subjective isnt it? For example, nothing this year beats last year's line-up if I go to my personal opinion. 

I agree with that. Last years headliners were exceptionally strong. For me this year doesn’t compare (so far)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

I just hope they won't add any more good names to that Sunday. The clashfinder will be devastating. 

Nick Cave and Nine Inch Nails are essential. But I'd love to see David Byrne, Arctic Monkeys, Eels and Fever Ray if I have the chance. 

I'm not really a AM fan so I kind of hope NIN will play the Barn same time as AM are on the main stage. Plus, AM are super popular witch means less people (hopefully) in the Barn :)   I really hope RW won't do the mistake again of putting NIN on the main stage in bright daylight....

Again, I'm feeling The exact opposite. ;-)

Gorillaz and QOTSA is a much stronger combination than KoL and Arcade Fire. And Pearl Jam plus Jack White beats SOAD and Linkin Park (for christ sake) by far. The sunday already looks much stronger than last years sunday too. Alt J wasnt a good sub at all, whereas we've got a genuine headliner playing right before AM this time around. And Nine Inch Nails is so much stronger than whoever closed The Barn last year.

Last Years friday wasnt very strong as Well, apart from Radiohead. But as there is no friday headliner yet, it's hard to judge that day. 

I’m reading your post and disagreeing with everything. I don’t like KOL and thought AF were weak but those two together are quite a strong combo. Radiohead are gods to me, SOAD were utterly brilliant and Linkin Park a bit disappointing. FF were a great way to finish the festival. I wouldn’t go next door to watch Nick Cave , nor Gorillaz who were absolutely dire at Glastonbury. Pearl Jam, fabulous, Jack White , depending on what he plays he might be great. I quite enjoyed Alt J last year.  It would be a laugh looking at each others record collections. Doubt we’d be doing any swaps:D

That’s great thing about festivals though, line ups that excite some are a total disappointment to others. 

• Upvote 1

We do agree with the Radiohead-being-god part (my other 2 gods being Cave and Byrne). And SOAD were indeed excellent. 

But you sound like a reasonable person, so if we DO run into each other at a festival, one beer's on me. ;-) 

Sounds like a great plan B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, micvet said:

Ruled out: Kaiser Chiefs, The Offspring

Why do you rule Offspring out? Because they'd have to play three nights in a row if they were to play RW? I agree that it's not likely, but it has happened before......

Edited by Gossard

15 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Why do you rule Offspring out? Because they'd have to play three nights in a row if they were to play RW? I agree that it's not likely, but it has happened before......

Because they're headlining another festival in Belgium called Rock Zottegem.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Boykaar said:

http://www.queenonline.com/news/press-release-queen-adam-lambert-to-play-further-uk-and-europe-shows

Queen announcing to tour Europe including Belgium. Could be Rock Werchter or Werchter Classic.

RW are waiting for something to announce on that Friday, that's for sure....whether it's Queen+AL I doubt it. More suited for TW Classic I'd think. But I'd love if I'm wrong and Queen+AL are our Friday headliner...!

6 minutes ago, Boykaar said:

http://www.queenonline.com/news/press-release-queen-adam-lambert-to-play-further-uk-and-europe-shows

Queen announcing to tour Europe including Belgium. Could be Rock Werchter or Werchter Classic.

Would be very suprising I think if they would do festivals, so far only stand-alone arena shows and it doesn't feel quite right. Maybe TW Classic.