Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

Really good additions just noticed the set up on the website for each day has two bigger pictures at the top with smaller below. Thursday Gorrilaz and QOTSA both headlining fests, Friday London Grammar and Snow Patrol below them, Saturday Pearl Jam and Jack White both headliner size (not seen JW headlining anywhere in Europe) and Sunday Artics and Nick Cave both headlining at least some fests this year.

So do we reckon that definitely means two big bands for the Friday?

4 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

Really good additions just noticed the set up on the website for each day has two bigger pictures at the top with smaller below. Thursday Gorrilaz and QOTSA both headlining fests, Friday London Grammar and Snow Patrol below them, Saturday Pearl Jam and Jack White both headliner size (not seen JW headlining anywhere in Europe) and Sunday Artics and Nick Cave both headlining at least some fests this year.

So do we reckon that definitely means two big bands for the Friday?

Don't look at the pictures on the website, they just fill up all those big spots automatically. This picture gives a better idea:

27336874_10156048401125699_3713669821893119244_n.jpg

So we will definitely still get a friday headliner (or 2 coheadliners)

Edited by ThijsDB

57 minutes ago, McCallion said:

The Friday is definitely being set up as the "pop day". I think Killers are probably the missing act

Any ideas what big pop acts might headline/co-headline on the Friday?

Obviously everyone is expecting the Killers, but who else?

Just now, Jimmerz95 said:

Any ideas what big pop acts might headline/co-headline on the Friday?

Obviously everyone is expecting the Killers, but who else?

If I'm being optimistic, I'd like to think that Muse & The Killers will co-headliner, but I think it's more likely the top of the main stage will be The Killers - London Grammar - Snow Patrol - The Kooks. Maybe we could get a dance act after? Justice maybe?

2 minutes ago, brightside23 said:

What about Kendrick? Timberlake is also releasing a new album...

Also any chance of Run the Jewels, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Take Impala?

I assume Alice in Chains are still likely, I was hoping they would be announced today. Great announcement though :)

Kendrick is more likely for Pukkelpop than Werchter due to scheduling. I think Timberlake is probably too expensive with the other huge names on the bill.

I think Run The Jewels, Chemical Brothers , Prodigy and Tame Impala are all possible unless I'm mistaken

13 minutes ago, McCallion said:

Kendrick is more likely for Pukkelpop than Werchter due to scheduling. I think Timberlake is probably too expensive with the other huge names on the bill.

I think Run The Jewels, Chemical Brothers , Prodigy and Tame Impala are all possible unless I'm mistaken

Chems are at Dour, so ruled out.

1 hour ago, ThijsDB said:

Don't look at the pictures on the website, they just fill up all those big spots automatically. This picture gives a better idea:

27336874_10156048401125699_3713669821893119244_n.jpg

So we will definitely still get a friday headliner (or 2 coheadliners)

Interesting to see that MGMT are at the third line, Last time they played they were effectively KluB C headliners playing a 75 minutes set opposite of KoL while technically Interpol closed the tent to give alternative to Stromae on the Mainstage. 

Last time The Kooks played they were Barn headliners but it looks like they got demoted too - Jack Johnson who last time also was a Barn headliner and probably will do the same this edition is a line above them. 

7 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

This lineup is already the strongest RW lineup in a long time, In my opinion. QOTSA, Gorillaz, Jack White, Pearl Jam, Nick Cave, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Nine Inch Nails is already the strongest batch of headliners they've had. And they still need to add 1-2 headliners to that list, which is remarkable. 

The only similar profiled festival with arguably a better lineup is Mad Cool (but we'll get there, as RW still needs to announce a lot of stuff and MC doesn't). It's already better than NOS too, which only has The National as a 'big non-RW' name. While on the other hand RW has Nick Cave and Gorillaz are two huge names NOS doesn't have. Mid sized NOS names, like Franz Ferdinand, Alice In Chains, will surely be added to the RW roster. 

Or are you thinking of other festivals, like Primavera Sound? Because that one isn't a 'fair' comparison, as it has a totally different profile. 

I suppose it all comes down to opinions and taste.  I actually think the RW line up this year isn't that great, with the exception of Pearl Jam.  As much as I've enjoyed the last 3 years at RW and think it's a fabulously arranged festival, I'm glad I've went for NOS this year.

Edited by Red Day

2 hours ago, lighthouse said:

But isn't the NOS lineup very similar to RW (only with a lesser amount of names)? Like I said: the only NOS headliner RW doen't have is The National. Or am I missing something? Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch Nails, Snow Patrol, Pearl Jam, Queens Of The Stone Age are all on both line-ups. And so far, smaller names like Eels, BRMC, Khalid, MGMT, The Kooks too. 

How can you think that RW isn't that great, but NOS is? 

Tickets to NOS are much cheaper and they still have a similar line up as RW. But there's no question that both festivals have a great line up this year. 

I, however, prefer Opener this year since they have Depeche mode, Massive attack, Gorillaz, Nick Cave and Arctic Monkeys:)

I have a feeling there's a big surprise for us. If the wait is for the Killers date to announce then why not announce their sub/co-headliners/big dance act? Im assuming there's no way they will sell a day with the big-3 being The Killers + London Grammar + Snow Patrol. There is too much similarities between this edition and 2016 edition when PJ supposedly cancelled their tour and McCartney was added late. Lets just say that for example, if the Rolling Stones were Friday headliner, no one would cry about Snow Patrol/London Grammar being their sub. The only problem I see is that unlike 2016 no other major festival around is missing a huge headliner. 

But usually surprises tend to be underwhelming.. :P