Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

I'm very happy with that Thursday. I absolutely love Queens of the Stone Age and I think Gorillaz will be a good party. I just hope they don't do the same mistake with QOTSA as they did with Arcade Fire this year, have them play too early and while it's still bright.....

3 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

They have to do with what's touring though. Bar PJ I don't see a lot of acts the size of Metallica/McCartney/Foos/etc for the moment.

True....

Green Day hasn't been in the mix, you guys think they could do some European festivals next summer? I know they're touring S-America now.....and have a new "best of" album out

4 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Green Day hasn't been in the mix, you guys think they could do some European festivals next summer? I know they're touring S-America now.....and have a new "best of" album out

I think they were rumoured for last year because they only played in Vorst whilst I think they can fill Sportpaleis but I reckon they wanted to headline a day on their own and I don't think RW agreed with that or something.

Next up, The XX for after Nick Cave, I guess? And then it's almost December already with the possible PJ announcement rumoured. I hope they're gonna announce a few more names because 5/6 names going into the winterbreak is a bit to little I think? Normally they've like 10 ish names announced or so, no?

11 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I think they were rumoured for last year because they only played in Vorst whilst I think they can fill Sportpaleis but I reckon they wanted to headline a day on their own and I don't think RW agreed with that or something.

Next up, The XX for after Nick Cave, I guess? And then it's almost December already with the possible PJ announcement rumoured. I hope they're gonna announce a few more names because 5/6 names going into the winterbreak is a bit to little I think? Normally they've like 10 ish names announced or so, no?

Green Day would of course headline on their own, like they did in 2010 and 2013 and like they do all over the world. 
I don't get this the XX hype. They are far from popular here in Iceland and when I saw them in 2012 at RW it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. @Dietediet how popular are The XX in Belgium? Would they headline you think?

30 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Green Day would of course headline on their own, like they did in 2010 and 2013 and like they do all over the world. 
I don't get this the XX hype. They are far from popular here in Iceland and when I saw them in 2012 at RW it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. @Dietediet how popular are The XX in Belgium? Would they headline you think?

Isn’t arcuse Belgian too? 

Anyway, The XX is crazy popular in Belgium (also quite so in The Netherlands), not least because of the hype Belgian radio channel Studio Brussel created around their album this year. They headlined Pukkelpop and Lowlands and got terrific reviews on both shows. They will definitely be at least co-headliners at RW.

40 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I think Green Day isn't that big of a deal anymore that they would headline their day and sell out (like RH or Foo's this year) and that their popularity declined since '13. Heck, even Linkin Park was put into a co-headline construction. 

Their day/show at Pinkpop (NL) sold really poor, idk if that'd count as a comparison but..

12 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Isn’t arcuse Belgian too? 

Yep haha.. They really stepped up their game since their latest record, it's more dancey show now (Jamie gets a lot more input into the show than before I think) Yes, they'd be a headliner but not as in Radiohead/Foo's kind of headliner but more like a dance closing act or co-headline kind of headliner.. + They're really popular over here with the amazing reviews of their last festival shows as Visdave34 said :) 

3 hours ago, NomadicMan said:

You have -2021?? That’s an impressive effort :o

It is...I was looking for more.

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

They have to do with what's touring though. Bar PJ I don't see a lot of acts the size of Metallica/McCartney/Foos/etc for the moment.

I guess, but you can't look at QOTSA and Gorillaz and think it is Werchter standard or headline booking, I know they book Editors but they are huge there and even they were co-headliner last time. I will remember though it's a fest that books KOL every other year who have done their disappearing act until next time now.

Tbh PJ aren't of interest either and nor would The XX being added. I thought this was Rock Werchter....not Primavera Sound.

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It is...I was looking for more.

I guess, but you can't look at QOTSA and Gorillaz and think it is Werchter standard or headline booking, I know they book Editors but they are huge there and even they were co-headliner last time. I will remember though it's a fest that books KOL every other year who have done their disappearing act until next time now.

Tbh PJ aren't of interest either and nor would The XX being added. I thought this was Rock Werchter....not Primavera Sound.

QOTSA, Gorillaz and The xx easily sell out Belgium's biggest venues, and have an aknowledged headliner status all over Europe's major fests. I don't see how this would be sub par RW level or comparable to Editors?

This is just a necessary evolution, we cannot keep having that KoL-PJ-Rammstein-Metallica-etc cycle forever. And I prefer them pushing up crowd favourites to headliner status, rather than going all out with U2/Rolling Stones/Guns n Roses and blowing all the budget for the rest of the lineup.

And 2017 proved that a top heavy poster doesn't make a great lineup. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

QOTSA, Gorillaz and The xx easily sell out Belgium's biggest venues, and have an aknowledged headliner status all over Europe's major fests. I don't see how this would be sub par RW level or comparable to Editors?

This is just a necessary evolution, we cannot keep having that KoL-PJ-Rammstein-Metallica-etc cycle forever. And I prefer them pushing up crowd favourites to headliner status, rather than going all out with U2/Rolling Stones/Guns n Roses and blowing all the budget for the rest of the lineup.

Honestly the 2017 line-up was incredible for me. I agree to say that some groups were not exceptional but everything was very well balanced. And of course a Arcade Fire / Radiohead / Linkin Park + SOAD / Foo Fighters combo is simply amazing. I like QOTSA very well and sure Gorillaz can be a great dancing act for the end of the evening, but this remains very low compared with last year. But you are right to say that the organization needs to change the groups. I still dream of great surprises like Twenty One Pilots, Arctic Monkeys, Greenday, The XX (co-headline with Depeche Mode), Eminem, ... And for Belgian bands I would like to see : Girls in Hawaii, Triggerfinger , Romeo Elvis, Intergalactic Lovers, Roscoe, Lost Frequencies, Ghinzu, The Van Jets, BRNS, Selah Sue, ... I hope to see some great acts to complete all these days (better than last year)

Edited by gunther Mickey

2 hours ago, Dietediet said:

Wow that's disappointing, I know it's different here to Europe but none of them are stick on headliners here. 

Know you can't....I'd rather they didn't as it's dull.

Personally it was a very good too line for me last year but as said it made it overall not great. 

I can't go so it's beneficial for me that it stays bad.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Wow that's disappointing, I know it's different here to Europe but none of them are stick on headliners here. 

Personally it was a very good too line for me last year but as said it made it overall not great. 

Why is it beneficial for you? If you're not going, what do you care how the lineup is?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, gunther Mickey said:

I like QOTSA very well and sure Gorillaz can be a great dancing act for the end of the evening, but this remains very low compared with last year.

In terms of popularity in Belgium, I think I can safely say QOTSA + Gorillaz is stronger than Arcade Fire + KOL.

Anyways, I'm not making any conclusions on the line-up yet. We will see what the other headliners are and how the undercard plays out...

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Actually 2017 was top class.

It is difficult to be a the festival park for the first act so it was good that the best were on later.

Whatever they put on the lineup it will be good.

Don't be so negative.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Actually 2017 was top class.

It is difficult to be a the festival park for the first act so it was good that the best were on later.

Whatever they put on the lineup it will be good.

Don't be so negative.

I don't think its negative to gave the opinion on a festival you look out for that you don't see it that strong a start.

1 hour ago, voyager2406 said:

Does anyone know what the drink/food tokens actually get you? been trying to find out for a while now.

This is the only way you can buy food and drinks inside the festival area. 1 token is for soft drinks/beer,  2-5 tokens for food, etc.. If Im not mistaken you can purchase with them in the campsite too and use the showers also.