Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

Graspop has booked almost all big metal/hard rock/punk names in the european june/july circuit but Rise Against, Volbeat and The Offspting

Graspop.jpg

This edition is 4 days so they still miss a headliner but Volbeat headlined there in 2016 so they might come to RW as coheadliners after all. 

Eaux Claires festival in the US, of The National's Aaron Dessner and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, has moved from mid-June to to July's first weekend (Friday and Saturday during Werchter).

Both bands have performed there in previous editions, so The National and Bon Iver are ruled out from Werchter (and Roskilde/Open'er).

The festival might have teased its first announcement by posting a bizarre podcast that includes music from Moses Sumney, Pussy Riot, Jlin, Ho99o9, serpentwithfeet, Charlie Parr, This Is The Kit, Marijuana Deathsquads, Kevin Morby, and Low. All of those will probably be ruled out soon.

20 hours ago, McCallion said:

Great news! I'm looking forward to it.  Brutus are supporting them in the UK who are worth checking out if you haven't heard them before. Hoping they'll be at Werchter too (they're from Leuven!)

I will check them out for sure! Equally you have Jamie Lenman who I am a very big fan of!

9 hours ago, Orens said:

Eaux Claires festival in the US, of The National's Aaron Dessner and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, has moved from mid-June to to July's first weekend (Friday and Saturday during Werchter).

Both bands have performed there in previous editions, so The National and Bon Iver are ruled out from Werchter (and Roskilde/Open'er).

The festival might have teased its first announcement by posting a bizarre podcast that includes music from Moses Sumney, Pussy Riot, Jlin, Ho99o9, serpentwithfeet, Charlie Parr, This Is The Kit, Marijuana Deathsquads, Kevin Morby, and Low. All of those will probably be ruled out soon.

That doesn't directly rule them out? Surely they both headlined the first edition in 2015, Bon Iver even came back the following year presenting his new record but last year, both bands didn't perform. They can't headline every year, that would be a bit lazy and festival-wise be a bit stupid. So I wouldn't rule them out, it just makes them less likely. Plus I'm sure RW got their hands on The National.. ;) 

53 minutes ago, arcuse said:

That doesn't directly rule them out? Surely they both headlined the first edition in 2015, Bon Iver even came back the following year presenting his new record but last year, both bands didn't perform. They can't headline every year, that would be a bit lazy and festival-wise be a bit stupid. So I wouldn't rule them out, it just makes them less likely. Plus I'm sure RW got their hands on The National.. ;) 

Even if they won't perform (and The National will perform), they will attend their own festival.

4 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I'd say Depeche Mode are pretty likely, no?

They don't play two days in a row (let alone three), the organisation of Beauregard festival stated. That's why they play there on the 'Monday after', July 9.

So it's:
Thursday 7/5: Open'er

Saturday 7/7: Main Square

Monday 7/9: Beauregard

-> no Werchter.

2 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

They don't play two days in a row (let alone three), the organisation of Beauregard festival stated. That's why they play there on the 'Monday after', July 9.

So it's:
Thursday 7/5: Open'er

Saturday 7/7: Main Square

Monday 7/9: Beauregard

-> no Werchter.

Ahhh, Open'er isn't on their website yet so was thinking they would be a contender for Thursday. My bad! 

You're right, I'm very interested to see who's going to be there now.

Edited by McCallion

2 minutes ago, McCallion said:

Ahhh, Open'er isn't on their website yet so was thinking they would be a contender for Thursday. My bad! 

You're right, I'm very interested to see who's going to be there now.

Came as a surprise to me too! Seeing they already have three gigs in Poland in February and RW usually shares a bunch of names with Main Square...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fillou said:

Kasabian warns for news on their facebookaccount tomorrow evening. May be Werchter will be dropping names in the afternoon?

7pm that is though so wouldn't have thought it's anything to do with werchter. I imagine it will either be a headliner already around i.e QOTSA/ Gorillaz  or a complete new one 

13 minutes ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

Surely would have to be an indie headliner type to give a diverse enough choice for people between the two? Only arctics would fit that

Arctics haven't been announced for anything yet and according to the Primavera booker not long ago they hadn't even confirmed when their album would be coming out. Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't at any of these early-mid Summer fests that everyone's predicting them for. Even if they are at Werchter I'd expect them to announce their comeback before Werchter get to announce them.

If it is an 'indie' headliner announced tomorrow I think The Killers are more likely. There's the likes of QOTSA/The National/Gorillaz that have already been announced for every other festival but I feel like they'd be a bit weak as Werchter's first headliner announcement.

Anyway, in general I'm thinking this for headliners now Depeche Mode are out:

The Killers, Pearl Jam and two co-headline structures involving The National/QOTSA/Gorillaz/someone else. Could The Prodigy do it or would they be more likely as a dance closer after The Killers? Maybe a day that goes Volbeat - QOTSA - The Prodigy? If not then maybe Florence or Editors as per.

Thu: The National - Gorillaz

Fri: The Killers - The xx

Sat: The Prodigy - QOTSA - Volbeat

Sun: Pearl Jam - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Is that strong enough? Maybe NIN could also appear in these slots.

26 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

The Killers, Pearl Jam and two co-headline structures involving The National/QOTSA/Gorillaz/someone else. Could The Prodigy do it or would they be more likely as a dance closer after The Killers? Maybe a day that goes Volbeat - QOTSA - The Prodigy? If not then maybe Florence or Editors as per.

The Killers are much bigger in the UK than anywhere else tho. I would expect them to pair off with another headliner here like KOL did. Probably means too many coheadliners in that case.

I read the Stones as a rumour for this a few weeks ago and even tho it seemed like a tenuous rumour, the number of bands that are being ruled out as a bigger headliner might mean it was right all along.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers are much bigger in the UK than anywhere else tho. I would expect them to pair off with another headliner here like KOL did. Probably means too many coheadliners in that case.

I read the Stones as a rumour for this a few weeks ago and even tho it seemed like a tenuous rumour, the number of bands that are being ruled out as a bigger headliner might mean it was right all along.

Yeah that's why I was thinking of having Prodge after them really. Even if it wasn't billed as a co-headline it's a strong dance closer after em. Before Depeche Mode being ruled out I was thinking DM, PJ, Killers/Prodge and 2 of The National/QOTSA/Gorillaz which seemed much more reasonable for Werchter.

that headliner+subs structure is pretty poor by werchter standards... i think a solid co-head structure involving gorillaz and qotsa(or maybe the national and one of the two) is extremely likely... i doubt that they will book more than one of this combos, as they struggled a bit to sell out kol+af last year. the killers is not a headliner in belgium and they would be pretty weak even as subs. the prodigy probably won't tour again, the xx would be more suited for the tent maybe.

i think they will either get a somewhat surprising headliner, like nin or arctics or they will get all the big names available for that time. GNR and depeche mode are already ruled so not many names available from the ones that are confirmed to be touring, so my feeling is that we are in for a surprise or two...

there is also the possibility that they will invest more in the undercard... we'll see.

48 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Arctics haven't been announced for anything yet and according to the Primavera booker not long ago they hadn't even confirmed when their album would be coming out. Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't at any of these early-mid Summer fests that everyone's predicting them for. Even if they are at Werchter I'd expect them to announce their comeback before Werchter get to announce them.

If it is an 'indie' headliner announced tomorrow I think The Killers are more likely. There's the likes of QOTSA/The National/Gorillaz that have already been announced for every other festival but I feel like they'd be a bit weak as Werchter's first headliner announcement.

Anyway, in general I'm thinking this for headliners now Depeche Mode are out:

Thu: The National - Gorillaz

Fri: The Killers - The xx

Sat: The Prodigy - QOTSA - Volbeat

Sun: Pearl Jam - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Is that strong enough? Maybe NIN could also appear in these slots.

Yh my arctics thoughts are more hope tbh although rumour suggests them for Trsmt. I don't think killers can be seen as a big headliner abroad ... must be one yet to announce or it will be a fairly weak top card