Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

2 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

Last year was the first year I went so I don't know if it's always the same, but Radiohead were the first to be announced and you'd have to say them and Foo Fighters were the biggest coups, especially as they were the only two to solo headline. So if you follow that I'm hoping we can expect a big name to kick things off, perhaps Pearl Jam or Arctic Monkeys falling into that category?

I would have thought Pearl Jam are the more likely choice, I thought Arctics might have a chance of being there next year but if all the headliners are going to be announced in the next two months it seems unlikely unless they've got a single/album news coming soon. Difficult as well because I don't know how popular QOTSA, Killers, Gorillaz etc. are in Belgium so wouldn't know who'd get the biggest response, but Queens of The Stone Age would seem likely, given that they've already been announced for some festivals in Europe next Summer.

You'll get at least two headliners in the next three months but don't expect all headliners to be announced in 2017. There's no rule but RW frequently announces a headliner in February. It depends on tickets sales and many other parameters.. So you can expect Arctic Monkeys later yes. 

Also, Pearl Jam really killed it last time they played at RW. Nearly 3h-show, all the band on fire, and the crowd too. Arctics didn't let that memories at the same edition. Concerning QOTSA they are not so big in Belgium yes, they are coheadline-sized. Maybe a QOTSA-LCD Soundsystem would be a good bet ! Ahah no anyway, it's way too soon to bet on any name.

In recent years, the first headliner was a massive one but sometime it just depends on bands tour for the announcement timing. RHCP ('12), Rammstein ('13&'16),Metallica ('14), Foo Fighters ('15) and Radiohead ('17) were the first announcements IIRC. Therefore I don't believe QOTSA, the National, Arctic Monkeys or Gorillaz will be the first announcement if they'll play. 

3 hours ago, Tremousse said:

Concerning QOTSA they are not so big in Belgium yes, they are coheadline-sized. Maybe a QOTSA-LCD Soundsystem would be a good bet ! Ahah no anyway, it's way too soon to bet on any name.

They are pretty big actually. They can sell out the Sportpaleis much quicker than Bercy actually.

I would put a peny on Metallica, The National, QOTSA, Gorillaz and Arctic Monkeys for the headliners with The National and Gorillaz having a night like KoL/Arcade Fire this year. Still hoping for Pearl Jam but I don't think they'll come. But I'm seriously considering going to Argentina in March for the QOTSA/Foo Fighters gig and then Lolla for Pearl Jam.

5 hours ago, Tremousse said:

You'll get at least two headliners in the next three months but don't expect all headliners to be announced in 2017. There's no rule but RW frequently announces a headliner in February. It depends on tickets sales and many other parameters.. So you can expect Arctic Monkeys later yes. 

Also, Pearl Jam really killed it last time they played at RW. Nearly 3h-show, all the band on fire, and the crowd too. Arctics didn't let that memories at the same edition. Concerning QOTSA they are not so big in Belgium yes, they are coheadline-sized. Maybe a QOTSA-LCD Soundsystem would be a good bet ! Ahah no anyway, it's way too soon to bet on any name.

Ahh ok, as I say I've only looked at last year so I didn't know if it was always that sort of schedule, but I'd happily wait for Arctics. Would love to see QOTSA and LCD as well. Either way I'm looking forward to the announcements, I think they'd struggle to book a full batch of headliners I'm not interested in from the realistic contenders.

39 minutes ago, Orens said:

Roger Waters is playing British Summer Time on July 6th (Friday in Werchter), and has yet to announce the Belgian concert he's due to play according to his press release.

It has just been announced that he will play at Sportpaleis, Antwerp on 11/05 so he won't play RW.

10 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

QOTSA/The National

Arctic Monkeys

The Killers

Florence and the Machine/The Prodigy

Maybe Metallica instead of one of them but they could do Graspop instead? Also Pearl Jam if they do come to Europe.

Sounds great but I don't fancy Florence again! Would be the 3rd edition in 4 years, she's amazing but there's only so many times I can watch that set! Haha

2 hours ago, McCallion said:

Sounds great but I don't fancy Florence again! Would be the 3rd edition in 4 years, she's amazing but there's only so many times I can watch that set! Haha

Ah fair enough, didn't know she'd played so many times recently. Then again it doesn't seem to stop them with KoL and Editors :P

Pearl Jam or Metallica instead of her then and shift The Prodigy onto The Killers' day.

• Upvote 1

The 3-names wishlist on RW's page is open ! What's yours ? I can't really go next year, except if I win tickets (I know at last second if I can) x) I submitted my vote with hope that NOS Alive will take these names, so : 1. Pearl Jam 2. Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls 3. LCD Soundsystem

3 hours ago, Tremousse said:

The 3-names wishlist on RW's page is open ! What's yours ? I can't really go next year, except if I win tickets (I know at last second if I can) x) I submitted my vote with hope that NOS Alive will take these names, so : 1. Pearl Jam 2. Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls 3. LCD Soundsystem

That means we're getting the first name in a few weeks! Pearl Jam all the way! 

1 hour ago, Gossard said:

Does this mean more punk-rock at RW18?

If that can allow RW to discover Frank Turner...! I don't understand how they never booked him in so many years (knowing that he was available a lot of times, and he gives 180 shows per year!)