Clash regrets...I've got a few

Tootts

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/2/2017 at 2:37 PM, K2SO said:

I regret leaving Stormzy early to get a "good spot" for Foo Fighters... Ended up leaving halfway through Foos due to boredom!

Should have gone to see Sasha and Digweed, they tore up the Glade. best night of the festival for me 

On 7/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Killers vs Chic

I can't class it as a regret because I seen an amazing act but did choose Killers on the day. Would've loved to bogey bogey with Chic but sometimes you just got to take it on the chin. Looked great on the telly but just have to remind myself that the Killers done an awesome show.

Being the first Glastonbury I had ever worked, I had less clash regrets than usual. Basically, I ended up deciding to go and see things that were potentially interesting but nearer, or stuff where I could potentially sit down for a bit, or just wander without wandering too far. The 'giving up' on getting to almost anything I had planned to see worked amazingly well and seemed to give me back a Glastonbury I had forgotten how to have. I didn't miss NEEDING to get to anything at all!

on Friday I knew that The Beat started at The Glade as soon as I finished at The Glade Bar - so that was a no brainer. Then I definitely needed food and to get off my feet. I wanted to eat something nice so I headed to West Holts and tried that fantastic African stall. Then it entered my head that The Sleaford Mods probably weren't on at West Holts as I had somehow thought. I actually don't know how I could ever have thought this other than because I knew they would be followed by The Flaming Lips. Anyway - this meant a quick programme check and a fairly quick decision that my feet weren't going to The Park - so The Mods and The Flips were abandoned. So I went to Billy Bragg and sat and listened to his tunes and rambling whilst resting my feet, then I wandered over to the T&C & just watched some different things including Wheel of 4 tunes, as I had decided to make The Mavericks my headliner and I enjoyed them so much more than I ever could have imagined. I went thinking I knew just one tune, but every song felt like I'd known it forever, and The Acoustic tent was lovely, and I was able to take off my boots and dance barefoot which felt amazing! When I got back home I watched the Sleaford Mods and The Flaming Lips on the iplayer, and they look good and I know I would have loved them too, but I very definitely have no regrets.

I was working at The Glade during Sasha and Digweed and it was definitely my worst shift - I know that Saturday night at The Glade was bloody brilliant for anyone that wasn't working there, because it was hell on legs for anyone that was! I think it was about 5 deep at the bar for 8 hours solid and we seemed to run out of everything, all the posh drinks, lemonade, gin, you name it after queueing for 20 minutes, and I could smile and say 'Sorry we've run out of that!'. When people asked for cider or lager I literally wanted to kiss them! After that shift I felt completely finished and I still had a 3-11pm to go on Sunday so I thought it was all over for me - but Sunday's shift turned out to be lovely, and I managed to run off at the end and see Shaggy at The Gully, and then wander about dancing at random bars and chatting to random strangers til about 4.30am.

So - out of all the bands at Glastonbury I saw - The Beat, Billy Bragg, The Mavericks, Craig David, & Shaggy - & yet I have no clash regrets and the most Glastonbury Glastonbury I think I have had since 1986!

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just announced December dates in the big three English cities r kid. Tho I think every festival will have them next year as word spreads of how cash they were over the summer.

Yeah probably gonna hit up Deaf Institute. New tune is p.fun too 

On 7/26/2017 at 1:39 PM, amfy said:

I was working at The Glade during Sasha and Digweed and it was definitely my worst shift - I know that Saturday night at The Glade was bloody brilliant for anyone that wasn't working there, because it was hell on legs for anyone that was! I think it was about 5 deep at the bar for 8 hours solid and we seemed to run out of everything, all the posh drinks, lemonade, gin, you name it after queueing for 20 minutes, and I could smile and say 'Sorry we've run out of that!'. When people asked for cider or lager I literally wanted to kiss them! After that shift I felt completely finished and I still had a 3-11pm to go on Sunday so I thought it was all over for me - but Sunday's shift turned out to be lovely, and I managed to run off at the end and see Shaggy at The Gully, and then wander about dancing at random bars and chatting to random strangers til about 4.30am

I apologies for being one of the c**ts who came to your bar and asked for gin and tonic, then had a melt down when my brain wouldn't let me make any other choice of what beverage i wanted

Sasha and Digweed though, just blew me away

4 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I apologies for being one of the c**ts who came to your bar and asked for gin and tonic, then had a melt down when my brain wouldn't let me make any other choice of what beverage i wanted

Sasha and Digweed though, just blew me away

Don't worry about it! If you have queued for 20 minutes for a drink, it's pretty annoying when the barstaff rule out everything down to your 5th choice - running out of lemonade does limit your options, and gin and tonic doesn't even count as a posh drink - the frozen magueritas, Prosecco, and Pimms were the ones that really fried my brain!

At least you weren't the women who called me a 'f***ing retarded bitch' for the bar not having small bottles of non-diet coke!

I am glad you had a good time at Sasha & Digweed, and hope I helped to contribute in some way by eventually treasure hunting some form of alcoholic refreshment behind that bloody bar!

13 hours ago, amfy said:

Don't worry about it! If you have queued for 20 minutes for a drink, it's pretty annoying when the barstaff rule out everything down to your 5th choice - running out of lemonade does limit your options, and gin and tonic doesn't even count as a posh drink - the frozen magueritas, Prosecco, and Pimms were the ones that really fried my brain!

At least you weren't the women who called me a 'f***ing retarded bitch' for the bar not having small bottles of non-diet coke!

I am glad you had a good time at Sasha & Digweed, and hope I helped to contribute in some way by eventually treasure hunting some form of alcoholic refreshment behind that bloody bar!

I always think all the staff are amazing at Glastonbury. I was a little messed up so I think i went with Lager in the end.

the staff are always amazing, but i do find that on Saturday and Sunday mornings you do have to check your change. Not because people are trying to rob  you , but because a lot of the staff are not in the right place in their mind. I got given change of a twenty when i only gave a fiver , the shock on the guys face when i gave the money back

2 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I got given change of a twenty when i only gave a fiver , the shock on the guys face when i gave the money back

Good man, i'm always amazed how many people kick off if the mistake is the other way round, but will happily walk away smirking and bragging to their mates that they got undercharged or overchanged.

Edited by tjamest

4 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Good man, i'm always amazed how many people kick off if the mistake is the other way round, but will happily walk away smirking and bragging to their mates that they got undercharged or overchanged.

I can't walk away, I have worked in shops and stuff before and if you are down you have to put the money back out of your own pocket.

i don't know if that's how it works at glastonbury , but you guys work for free or very little i gather so paying for stuff like that isn't needed

I missed DJ Yoda because my mates made straight for Arcadia. That's something I'm disappointed about missing out on, especially as Arcadia was so busy (45 minute round trip to the toilet). 

Also, that Confidence Man track is a tune! Cheers for posting.

On 26/07/2017 at 1:39 PM, amfy said:

Being the first Glastonbury I had ever worked, I had less clash regrets than usual. Basically, I ended up deciding to go and see things that were potentially interesting but nearer, or stuff where I could potentially sit down for a bit, or just wander without wandering too far. The 'giving up' on getting to almost anything I had planned to see worked amazingly well and seemed to give me back a Glastonbury I had forgotten how to have. I didn't miss NEEDING to get to anything at all!

That's exactly the approach to have when working it imo. It took me three goes to work it out though. Worked it out last year when, despite the atrocious weather, I had one of my favourite ones ever despite having to work it. Attitude is key.

On 15/09/2017 at 12:17 PM, shuttlep said:

I can't walk away, I have worked in shops and stuff before and if you are down you have to put the money back out of your own pocket.

i don't know if that's how it works at glastonbury , but you guys work for free or very little i gather so paying for stuff like that isn't needed

At Glastonbury I have never seen any meaningful stock takes or basic accounting/cash up practices. I guess that was someone else's job somewhere. It's not quite "bucket for a till"  but it doesn't feel that far off sometimes. And, so much ullage in at least one bar that I wondered whether blokes pissing everywhere is really the reason all of the fish keep dying.

We work for wages (over MW iirc), but said wages are then donated to our charity (I think that's right. It took me three goes at working to work that out as well. I always just used to consider myself to be working for my ticket).

To stay on thread, I've missed Elbow three times due to clashes with other bands and/or work shifts.

On 15/09/2017 at 11:27 PM, vintagelaureate said:

I missed DJ Yoda because my mates made straight for Arcadia. That's something I'm disappointed about missing out on, especially as Arcadia was so busy (45 minute round trip to the toilet). 

Also, that Confidence Man track is a tune! Cheers for posting.

DJ Yoda made my ears miss U2 in umptytump year (11?) because he was playing so loud in the bar I was working in about an hour before that I had the worst case of concert ring ever. The selfish H&S ignoring show off (great set though).