Liver damage

The other Bellboy

Went to A&E yesterday to get something checked and they did some routine blood tests.

When looking at the results - the doc said "do you drink a lot"? 

After telling him about last week he said i should avoid drinking for 2 weeks and then get rechecked.

For anyone who hit the booze or other substances hard last week, i would suggest taking it very easy for a few weeks to give the liver chance to recover.

I've had liver function checks before and they have always been OK, and i haven't had a drink since the Sunday night.

I'm sure everything will be fine, It's funny you mention this though as literally minutes before I said to my wife I was going to pop to the shop and get a few beers for the evening, she told me not to as we should rest our livers, which she's never said before, then I saw this post so I'm taking it as a sign. We've more less been a 2 week bender with Stone Roses, Glastonbury in the middle and BST yesterday. Going to leave the beers in the shop!

My liver count has been raised before. Nothing to worry about just calm down for a bit.

My mate at work has a count of 1980 or something on his ALT AST readings hes an alco. To put it in perspective mine was less than 100 but was still advised to take it easy

I wasn't sure if it was my liver or my back giving me grief during The Foos this year.

Had been sipping from a bottle of Lucozade that actually contained Armagnac for most of the evening.

I felt a lot better after a cup of water from security.

And I'm still thinking it was Arrabella Weir I asked to move so I could get said water.

As long as it's not long term abuse it's nothing to worry about. The liver has a wonderful ability to regenerate itself and the liver function tests will be back to normal within a month or so. In the short term levels can go up to 4-5 times above normal without causing too much worry - less so in the longer term though. 

11 hours ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Not Liver related but I've been feeling massively ropey since I got home on Tuesday. Something is not right me atall and can't seem to shake it off

I have been an absolute mess. Have got a rash all over my body which is only just starting to clear up. First few days after the festival I felt terrible and really down. It really does take it out of you.

In regards to the liver. My readings are always high due to the Mesalazine and steroids I have to take for other conditions. Hitting it hard at Glastonbury really does affect me. It really is about time I called it quits as I need to take better care of myself. Your liver will repair itself as long as you use common sense and take care of yourself.

It shocks me really how much we abuse our bodies. We would not treat a machine the same way we treat ourselves.

10 hours ago, battleborn said:

Yeah, the amazement was at the fact he was functioning. Pretty tragic to be frank, but as you say it what it is. 

It's amazing how people can drink so much and be functioning... a few years ago I worked with some Drug & Alcohol Addiction services and the stories would make your jaw hit the floor. There was one guy who was completely functional for almost a decade whilst drinking two bottles of vodka EVERY DAY. He only got found out because he eventually had a heart attack. When you drink that much that often the body just builds up a tolerance so you don't even appear drunk.

i have had a Lenor bottle and funnel in my tent for the past few Glastonburies to prevent the nighttime loo trips across the field, and it worried me a bit that this year I didn't seem to need it and was sleeping right through! 

Extreme tiredness? (working) Drinking less? - But I did start to worry why I was weeing so much less, and wonder whether my liver and kidneys were struggling. I tried to drink a good amount of water to compensate and I am definitely more conscious of these things these days. It's my age.

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I wasn't sure if it was my liver or my back giving me grief during The Foos this year.

Had been sipping from a bottle of Lucozade that actually contained Armagnac for most of the evening.

I felt a lot better after a cup of water from security.

And I'm still thinking it was Arrabella Weir I asked to move so I could get said water.

I was the same (though thinking it was Kidneys) I had to call it in at 3AM Sunday Morning. Was struggling to stand up anymore cause so I was in so much pain either side of my lower back, probably down to dehydration

Only major problem I had was after doing an all nighter Sunday night, I started getting tunnel vision and warped hearing walking out with my stuff in the morning sun. Followed by a really intense sweat and dread session on the coach. Think it was dehydration as much as anything.

Take care of yourselves, for all the Glastonburys to come!!

5 hours ago, amfy said:

i have had a Lenor bottle and funnel in my tent for the past few Glastonburies to prevent the nighttime loo trips across the field, and it worried me a bit that this year I didn't seem to need it and was sleeping right through! 

Extreme tiredness? (working) Drinking less? - But I did start to worry why I was weeing so much less, and wonder whether my liver and kidneys were struggling. I tried to drink a good amount of water to compensate and I am definitely more conscious of these things these days. It's my age.

Hot weather makes it worse too. It's not so bad in years like last year because you don't sweat so much. We each had a rehydration sachet every morning of the festival this year because we all just felt so dehydrated... I don't think I ever recovered from the Wednesday really. I commented before that the toilets were so much better this year but on hindsight it was probably because people were using them less!!

There was also a very terrifying moment when one hungover morning I found a water bottle on the floor of the tent half filled with pale brown liquid and I thought my husband was so dehydrated that his pee was that colour! Turned out to be Jack Daniels :lol: 

33 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Hot weather makes it worse too. It's not so bad in years like last year because you don't sweat so much. We each had a rehydration sachet every morning of the festival this year because we all just felt so dehydrated... I don't think I ever recovered from the Wednesday really. I commented before that the toilets were so much better this year but on hindsight it was probably because people were using them less!!

There was also a very terrifying moment when one hungover morning I found a water bottle on the floor of the tent half filled with pale brown liquid and I thought my husband was so dehydrated that his pee was that colour! Turned out to be Jack Daniels :lol: 

Makes a change from getting mixed up in the other direction :bad:

I knew my liver had taken a battering by the colour of my eyes! Just returning back to normal now, was at The Maccabees yesterday and didn't hit it too hard, festival next weekend and then going to stick to very moderate consumption for a few months. I try to have a couple of 4 week blocks a year without booze, if only for financial and fitness reasons.