More Hip Hop

nosajthing

I'm sure this thread gets made every year but I haven't seen one floating around. With the talk of 2019 already happening, does anyone else think a fair showing of hip hop is long overdue on the farm? To be fair, grime gets a great showing nowadays but there's a complete lack of American hip hop anywhere on the bill. Outside of Run the Jewels, Rejjie Snow and a couple of up and coming British acts I'm struggling to think of any rappers who played this year. I certainly didn't see any.

I know in recent years we've seen Kanye, Chance, Vince Staples and a few others play, but there never seems to be more than one or two maintsream rap acts on the bill.

Which rappers would you like to see play Glasto?

I'd love Vince/Chance to return. Killer Mike doing a solo show would be sick. Danny Brown. Obviously Kendrick would be a huge pull, but ScHoolboy Q, Jay Rock or Ab-soul would all be sick too. A$AP Rocky, Earl, Tyler (if he gets unbanned from the UK). Would love to see Big Boi also. MF Doom? Aesop Rock? There are so many that I reckon fully deserve it

Get snoop d o double g back, that set was so much fun. Agree with kendrick on the Pyramid, get him subbing and he's doing in a 4 hour extraordinaire, I'm sure that man has gills he'd be fine. Shame DOOM will probably never play but I've made peace with probably never seeing him. I just love a bit of hip hop, 4 owls were really great this year if you caught them in the rum shack.

I wonder how much hip hop acts actually wanna play though, the Eavis clearly want them I can't help but think they're putting on what they can. The only reason I don't bemoan the rise of pop at glasto is because other genres like hip hop and metal are rising as well, evolution maaan. 

56 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A Tribe Called Quest were reportedly booked for Dizzee's slot this year :( 

Neil's latest info on this is that they were never booked for Glastonbury. Not sure if that means Dizzee was always headlining WH or if there was another Plan A that bailed.

Slim pickings in 2017. Couldn't get anywhere near four owls at the Rum Shack* on Thursday**. Managed to see RTJ, half of Paak, Otis Mensah and the first two Avalanches tracks.

Would love to see Chano or Kendrick in 2019.

*New stage layout in there meant it harder to watch acts, though suppose it meant it fills up properly. Missed Tonga on Saturday night as between the time it takes to go to the lav, it went from empty to jam packed.

**A minor quibble, but pretty much everywhere on Thursday was full to the brim, I seemed to spend half the day standing at the edge of tents watching other people having fun.

Theres loads of older hip hop acts Id like to see. Cant get i to the new wave though, Ive tried but it just does nothing for me. Probably means im becoming an old bastard but it is what it is. 

Ice Cube, Tribe Called Quest, Imnortal Technique, some sort of NWA reunion, LLCoolJ, Snoop, Eminem, Nas, Wu Tang or any of Wu Tang, Rakim, De La Soul, Public Enemy, Busta Rhymes, KRS One etc and im fully on board. 

There's plenty of new stuff that floats my boat, but I'm struggling with a lot of the younger rappers who have that drawling style, just can't get into it.

Anyone tried 4:44 yet by the way? Can't say I've enjoyed an album of his since American Gangster, there's still few who can match him on his day though.

I think they just try and book British hip-hop and grime which is good in some ways, but I don't see why it means they should neglect stuff across the pond, the dream for me would be Pusha T, but obviously Danny Brown, Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, The Roots etc. would go down a treat as well.

4 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Might it be that a lot of US acts charge big bucks, coupled with more infrequent touring over in Europe and potentially less buy-in to the whole 'do it cheap, get lots of press' and let's not forget the reaction that people had to Jay Z and Kanye's boooking. 

Yeah most of the acts people are mentioning are massively bigger in the US and probably expect a much bigger pay/higher slots than what Glastonbury offers, plus with Wireless undoubtedly offering a lot more the following week there's probably little motivation to do Glastonbury. I suppose a few of them get it and what it's all about, but overall I doubt it's something that concerns a lot of them.

Edited by FloorFiller

Hip hop is under represented. From reading these forums the festival also lacks rock and metal, actual techno and blues to name a few.

Clearly the festival is only interested in booking kazoo playing marching bands and we all imagine the myriad of music across the site.

5 hours ago, bigsliceoflemon said:

I don't think Childish Gambino will be a thing by 2019

I hope not.

Glover and Riz Ahmed are my two man crushes. Everything they do is special in my books - and they pretty much do everything.