Worthy Farm is clean!

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, DownlnAlbion said:

Love Bullets was a nightmare with those stupid nos canisters. I was in there on Friday night and you couldn't move without standing on them. 

Bunch of lads doing those in the bar on Williams Green then just left all the canisters under the table. There could be more bins at Williams Green than anywhere else on site!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought there was less litter overall this year. Every set of bins was piled high with rubbish, which isn't the nicest to look at, but  it's definitely preferable to being strewn over the site. Personally I made a real effort this year, crushed my cans down, stuck them in my bag until near a bin, never even dropped any cig ends. All our rubbish at the tent was bagged. Felt good and didn't feel like any extra effort. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

5 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just arriving to the Pyramid at 6 every day you can see it is just less messy than previous years, less big items left behind. We were always waiting for a post-Beyonce level of pick (the horror) but it just didnt happen. 

When we were sent around the site only the area around Love bullets was particularly bad. I think theres an obvious correlation between litter and how fked people are, the Pyramid just didn't attract it this year and we weren't sent on long walks to help other teams out that much either.

@pie_and_a_pint what did you think?

Definitely less rubbish to pick up this year, and more of it was 'easy' stuff like cans and cups, rather than nos, fag ends etc. Beat Hotel was no better, but obviously its clientele is rather more focussed on getting off its collective tits than picking up it's rubbish, but John Peel was, and The Wood was virtually spotless. No camping chairs abandoned either!

We got taken over to help at Other one morning, because the amount of mess left by Stormzy's crowd was worse than usual. It speaks volumes that a predominately younger crowd left more litter, I think. 

12 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Congratulations on being able to re-enforce your stereotypes. 

Thanks. I can only speak as I find. The litter left after Stormzy was an utter disgrace and took three full litterpicking teams to clear up. 

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

13 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Thanks. I can only speak as I find. The litter left after Stormzy was an utter disgrace and took three full litterpicking teams to clear up. 

Do the teams clean up after each individual act? Wondering how you can blame the young people at Stormzy if there was still litter left behind after Liam Gallagher etc. 

Perhaps the lack of litter is partly down to the "pack light" message as there's going to be extra searches at the gates - so loads of people (me included) took just what they needed so any searches would be quicker and less of a PITA....

I've never managed to fit everything I've needed into a 55L rucksack and an Aldi bag before!

I always take my stuff home and bin my rubbish - but even my pitch clearing black-sack wasn't even half full this year.

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Definitely less rubbish to pick up this year, and more of it was 'easy' stuff like cans and cups, rather than nos, fag ends etc. Beat Hotel was no better, but obviously its clientele is rather more focussed on getting off its collective tits than picking up it's rubbish, but John Peel was, and The Wood was virtually spotless. No camping chairs abandoned either!

We got taken over to help at Other one morning, because the amount of mess left by Stormzy's crowd was worse than usual. It speaks volumes that a predominately younger crowd left more litter, I think. 

I wonder how much of that is down to those inflatables that you "blow up" by wafting about.  Saw loads of those this year, they looked good too!

Just seen this and am rather speechless, seeing we're banging on about Glasto spirit the entire time.

People on the litter crew - is there truth to it? Anyone know?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/hundreds-of-european-workers-fired-two-days-into-glastonbury-clean-up-a7818571.html?amp

28 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

Just seen this and am rather speechless, seeing we're banging on about Glasto spirit the entire time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/hundreds-of-european-workers-fired-two-days-into-glastonbury-clean-up-a7818571.html?amp

I very much doubt they were signed to zero hours contracts and were guaranteed two weeks work. 

34 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

Seems a bit daft to lampoon Corbyn so heavily given he's got absolutely naff all to do with it 

1 minute ago, MattDavies__ said:

Seems a bit daft to lampoon Corbyn so heavily given he's got absolutely naff all to do with it 

I think they're making the link as the festival invited a speaker who was against exploiting EU workers on ZHC...

3 minutes ago, UEF said:

I think they're making the link as the festival invited a speaker who was against exploiting EU workers on ZHC...

Yeah I get that. 

He's still got nothing to do with how the festival runs its clean up operation so to feature him so heavily (and negatively) in the article is a cheap shot. Especially given they're not exactly short of things to criticise him for... 

44 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

I had no idea people actually travelled from Europe to work on the farm, I guess I assumed it was people already at the festival.  On the one hand it's great they're not having to pay as much, more money can go to charity, but if they were told it was 2 weeks work that's tricky.  I understand (sort of) why it was a zero hours contract as you can't guarantee the work, but maybe it should have been a guaranteed number of hours per day with a clause to say the end date depended on the work getting done.  Tricky one really :unsure:

43 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

The treatment of the post festival litter pickera has been poor for years. They lay people off with no notice throughout the cleanup and have done for years. This is not the festival but is down to those organising the cleanup whom I have little time for personally although maybe there are others on here that know more than me but this suggests not much has changed. The only thing this year is a large number were laid off after two days rather than a few every few days. 

The independent is the nations 3rd worst paper after the mail and sun.

The fields are clean, what do you expect Glastonbury to do? Pay the workers for another week to just sit around doing fuck all?

If it was a 2 week clean up job they'd be complaining about how anti-green Glastonbury is with all the rubbish left behind but now because there's not as much rubbish they're complaining about the litter pickers not having a job to do.

Absolute travesty of a media outlet

3 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

The independent is the nations 3rd worst paper after the mail and sun.

The fields are clean, what do you expect Glastonbury to do? Pay the workers for another week to just sit around doing fuck all?

If it was a 2 week clean up job they'd be complaining about how anti-green Glastonbury is with all the rubbish left behind but now because there's not as much rubbish they're complaining about the litter pickers not having a job to do.

Absolute travesty of a media outlet

You forgot The Express. The paper for those who find The Mail too nuenced.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder how much of that is down to those inflatables that you "blow up" by wafting about.  Saw loads of those this year, they looked good too!

They looked really comfy - although I did see one chap rendered completely incapable because he got stuck, couldn't get up, got the giggles, and that made it worse. It was hilarious!

1 hour ago, dazednconfused said:

Pickers arrived (many from eastern europe) expecting 10 days work or more. They got 2 or 3 days. The festival should have bunged the 500 laid off workers a £100 thank you bonus each. Happy workers and excellent publicity for the festival... only costing £50k A drop in the ocean for the festival especially with the amount saved this year on the clean up.

1 minute ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

They looked really comfy - although I did see one chap rendered completely incapable because he got stuck, couldn't get up, got the giggles, and that made it worse. It was hilarious!

They are ridiculously comfortable however there is no way to stylishly inflate them.

2 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Pickers arrived (many from eastern europe) expecting 10 days work or more. They got 2 or 3 days. The festival should have bunged the 500 laid off workers a £100 thank you bonus each. Happy workers and excellent publicity for the festival... only costing £50k A drop in the ocean for the festival especially with the amount saved this year on the clean up.

Agree. Lots of workers laid off who were part of the build as well who expected at least ten days work.

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Ta for the clarification. 

Had no idea people would travel that far for such a short stint of work to be fair. 

Zero hour contracts for this kind of work are obvious. Nevertheless, that isn't a carte blanche to treat people shit. Wouldn't be hard to set the right expectations.

Fully with Sawdusty Surfer, it is incredibly easy to let people off content and happy.