Worthy warrior

Funkyfairy!

Did anyone sign up to be a worthy warrior ? 

Did you collect your wristband ? 

Did you get your t shirt printed at the free press ? 

Did you sign up to help on monday morning and did you manage to help ? 

Just wondering what the take up and peoples opinion was . We signed up, and collected our wristbands after finding a campsite that knew what we were taking about, then got some old t shirts printed at the free press - which was a cool thing to watch being screen printed. We gave out bin bags etc in the campervan fields , but most people it seemed already had the message 

we signed up for the Monday morning helping as well, and it was a real struggle  making it back down to site for 10 am in the morning and actually curbed a bit of fun on Sunday as in the back of my head I'd promised to be in pennards for 10am, which meant leaving cv east at 9am ... Twas a really hot walk across site . Struck pennards to find , I think we were probably 3 of a handful of people turned up (I think they had 200 volunteers ) , so either people went to another campsite or like us you just want to get home by monday morning :-(, or others things crop up between signing up and the actual day.  Anyway we cajoled and tried to help, there was a defo lack of bin bags for the first hour and people really wanted them but there were none available, I had to ask the campsite crew really nicely to release a pile when they got some in order to give them out. Helped loads of people take tents down and towards the end of the time started packing away deserted tents ...... we had to sign in and sign back out and were asked to stay until 1pm, no idea why it was 3 hours, but one of the village green stewards made it clear we should stay and sign out at 1pm .... 

Im glad I did it, and it felt good to give something back, but not sure I'd volunteer for the Monday morning again, it felt a bit  like a lone crusade lol 

Having not camped for years it did make me see how bad some of the sites are left, but how it truely is the minority that make it look bad for everyone else . Also there were so many pre inflated air beds left .... Twas unbelievable ,  am wondering should the camping shops onsite not rent stuff for a charge / deposit and you give them your reg number and that way stuff would be returned ... Just a thought 

anyone else have any views on the worthy warriors ? 

Hey I did it too. I had my wrist band and t shirt, and spent a couple of hours a day in and around my campsite tidying and giving ppl bin bags etc.

couldn't stay Monday because of work so I did my clean overnight Sunday before leaving super early. Felt a bit miffed I couldn't sign in anywhere because I wasn't doing it in the allotted time but I understand I guess. 

Its a great scheme, I feel like people are waking up slowly but surely. 

I also signed up, I kept our campsite & surroundings tidy, put bin bags under peoples tents (especially the scruffy people who had been leaving their rubbish everywhere!) it worked a bit. 

Unfortunately because I had a coach package I couldn't stay on Monday, you guys all did a fantastic job. I hope you're rewarded! 

I got my wristband ...  eventually ... campsite crew had no idea what it was about ... so I showed them the email they radioed through to someone and eventually managed to find a box of wristbands hidden away in the caravan .. I then went to get my t-shirt printed and realised I had left it in my tent !! after telling my friend I definitely had it when we left ... duh !! apart from that I helped out a bit on the monday  clearing the area in the vicinity of our tents and giving out a few bin bags ..  I mentioned on another thread it is like a sheep mentality and you have to use this to advantage . I started picking up on other peoples campsites when they were there and most would tell me they were going to tidy up and did so . just think what the worthy warriors could achieve with a bit better organisation .. but I'm proud to say I helped do my bit ... in a record year for the cleanup operation 

It felt more organised than last year, the wristbands were a great idea (loved mine!) but I reckon some high-viz jackets borrowed from the campsite crew would be good because then people would know you were tidying (and might help) otherwise you just feel a bit random picking up other peoples rubbish, or asking them to do it

Yep got the band and t-shirt, cleared up our camping area a few times and a sweep around on Monday.  The closest 'official' cleaning area was fields away though so couldn't take part in the Monday morning stuff.

Might reply the email saying thanks for the band/t-shirt printing and done what I could in my area (local campsite stewards didn't know about it in Darble).  It's a good initiative so hope it expands towards the outer limits.

One of the emails said 'By signing in and out on the Monday, you will be noted for any additional thankyous!' Not sure what thats about as couldn't participate.

Edited by VolumetricFox

I got the wristband and T-shirt easily, but sadly didn't do much to contribute to the efforts, I did more last year. Main reason why not was there was no areas they wanted covering anywhere near CV East, anyway I've donated my T-shirt to someone more worthy who did work but didn't get theirs! 

We were approached by someone in Pennards on Monday morning but they almost immediately recognised that our space was devoid of a single piece of litter and our tents were well used yet not falling apart so he spent his time better with some surrounding groups.

yep - got the wristband and t-shirt - not from our campsite but from Pennards - the stewards there seemed organised with a list to tick us off (I even signed up my fellow campers). 

We were in Lower Mead - and encouraged the messy girls close to us by handing them the odd strategic bin bag. All our neighbours were really good - helped I think by the bin-dispenser and rubbish collection point being close.

I really liked the idea of the t-shirt - wore it proudly on Friday.

16 hours ago, VolumetricFox said:

Yep got the band and t-shirt, cleared up our camping area a few times and a sweep around on Monday.  The closest 'official' cleaning area was fields away though so couldn't take part in the Monday morning stuff.

Might reply the email saying thanks for the band/t-shirt printing and done what I could in my area (local campsite stewards didn't know about it in Darble).  It's a good initiative so hope it expands towards the outer limits.

One of the emails said 'By signing in and out on the Monday, you will be noted for any additional thankyous!' Not sure what thats about as couldn't participate.

We signed in and out, but no idea either ....felt good to help, and was encouraged to stay until 1pm for sure 

9 hours ago, themuel said:

Has anyone had any emails since the festival? 

No nothing that I remember. 

On 1 July 2017 at 6:32 PM, verrymerry said:

It felt more organised than last year, the wristbands were a great idea (loved mine!) but I reckon some high-viz jackets borrowed from the campsite crew would be good because then people would know you were tidying (and might help) otherwise you just feel a bit random picking up other peoples rubbish, or asking them to do it

Great idea, a high viz jacket borrowed may have helped , felt a bit wierd at times going around poking around camps lol 

6 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

We signed in and out, but no idea either ....felt good to help, and was encouraged to stay until 1pm for sure 

No nothing that I remember. 

Great idea, a high viz jacket borrowed may have helped , felt a bit wierd at times going around poking around camps lol 

I just helped by handing out bin bags etc on the Monday morning but didn't know about signing in and out. I just signed in at the start to get the wristband 

Edited by Lucy92

Just now, Lucy92 said:

I just helped by handing out bin bags etc on the Monday morning but didn't know about signing in and out. I just signed in at the start to get the wristband 

I think if you originally ticked the box to say you could help on monday you got an additional email, that asked you to report to one of 4 campsites on Monday morning by 10 am and to stay until 1 or 2pm and sign in and out