The Minute's Silence on the Pyramid Stage

El Matador

Very nice gesture and impeccably observed as far as I could see.

However was it just me or did it seem that nobody on the stage had started the clock to time it?! Seemed to go on forever and Hooky and Rowetta were starting to look around for someone to tell them it was over.

Felt like it was in danger of turning into a tragically comic moment until someone (in the crowd I think) started applauding.

12 minutes ago, El Matador said:

Very nice gesture and impeccably observed as far as I could see.

However was it just me or did it seem that nobody on the stage had started the clock to time it?! Seemed to go on forever and Hooky and Rowetta were starting to look around for someone to tell them it was over.

Felt like it was in danger of turning into a tragically comic moment until someone (in the crowd I think) started applauding.

Yep, you could have heard a pin drop. It seemed like the rest of the site went quiet too, as there was much less sound from elsewhere than I was expecting to hear (tho probably only really because it was still early).

I didn't notice any timing of it, I just went along with the silence till the silence stopped.

I was in the pit, towards the bandstand / Williams green side rather than JP.

You could hear a pin drop.

I don't think the timing was off, it's just that without an official timekeeper (like a football ref) to blow a whistle - no one wants to be the one to first start clapping.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Was a very moving moment amongst the happy chaos of the festival. I was convinced at the time that the whole site took part as it went so so quiet. I just assumed someone had given Hooky or Rowetta a signal through an ear piece, didn't notice anything unusual.

I made sure I was there for the silence. Could have done with a clock on the screens as it did seem to go on until someone cracked, rather than there being a clear cut-off.

Bee costume was ace!

Hopefully we won't have to do another one in 2019.

14 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Hopefully we won't have to do another one in 2019.

I understand what you're getting at - and agree with you wholeheartedly - tho us public seemingly like this sort of stuff quite a lot, and don't need a current reason to hold a commemoration.

Cos if I take myself back to 3 years ago at Glastonbury, I was also stood at the Pyramid in silence for a minute, in commemoration of WW1 at a contemporary dance performance (was it English National Ballet? I forget).