Kate Tempest - Extraordinary

stuartbert two hats

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan of her since the sound of rum days. She played at the club I worked in a few times over 09/10 and even then you could tell she was destined for bigger things. Her insight, passion and ability to break truths down was apparent back then. 

I've lost count of how many times I've seen Her but every time was special, every time it's brought me close, if not to actual tears. 

This year was no exception. I felt like I was put through an emotional wringer throughout the set. It was cathartic to say the least but left with this wonderful feeling of positivity and love.

She truly is something special and should be required watching for everybody

Controversial but... I didn't enjoy it and reading everyone else's reviews/comment I'm gutted I didn't.

I love both albums and what I've seen live but I think what may have done it was forcing my friends to come and see her. They weren't too keen but wanted to stay in a group - I'd have happily gone off alone - and it put a dampener on the whole thing. Additionally, I was probably too far back from the stage to feel her passion and vitriol properly, I was in a happy place so her background anger was jarring, and from the minute we got there my friends had one eye on leaving.

I'll have to watch her set (hopefully catch her touring too). 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Damp eyes throughout watching that video.

Nice thread hats :-)

She's been booked for a wee festival in Dumfries in September. Will be a must see.

If she's on before the Jesus and Mary Chain everyone will be in a right mood !

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Fuck, could you imagine the state of the Pyramid field? 

First saw her supporting Billy Bragg when she was in Sound of Rum. Then in the Rum Shack in 2014 and although I didn't get a ticket for that year, was worried that the Park was a big step up from the Rum Shack and Left Field and she smashed that. West Holts is a big step up from the Park and she more than smashed that set.

She'd need to get even more in the public eye but it'd be the boldest booking imaginable but I'd bet that she'd be able to take any stage and make it her own. I'd love, love, love to see it.

38 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

She'd need to get even more in the public eye but it'd be the boldest booking imaginable but I'd bet that she'd be able to take any stage and make it her own. I'd love, love, love to see it.

I wouldn't be surprised if she got a pyramid slot by 2020.

The trajectory she's had at Glastonbury, it's the next logical step.

Seen her a couple of times before but that was something special - much more cohesive, and what a way to finish. Was expecting one of the more bouncy raucous sets, yet this did not disappoint at all and brought some of the lovely lump-in-throat moments that fill out that big ol' glastonbury range of emotion.

I discovered her just a few months before Glasto and enjoyed a few live performances on YouTube, to the point she was already unmissable this year, but wow that set. I got chatting to a couple of guys in front of me who'd seen her before and essentially told me to brace myself. I didn't appreciate that really - I was trying to avoid hyping it up for fear of disappointment, but they were right. When it was over they turned back around with tears in their eyes and asked me what I thought. I was close to tears myself and felt quite pleased that for once - at last - I'd managed to position myself among a couple of people who got it.

Then I turned around myself and the person behind me was all welled up. A couple to the side were holding each other in the moment, as were several other couples I saw as my eyes scanned the crowd.

I think it was at that point I realised Glasto 2017 might have peaked.

It's brilliant how menacing she is at the start as well, isn't it. She almost prowls on that stage, seething with the injustice she's about to articulate so brilliantly, eyeing up the crowd as her expression silently screams for all to listen, because she's got something important to say.

Edited by kalifire

9 hours ago, kaytee... said:

I've seen her do both the music and more spoken word stuff before but nothing got me like this 

This! I haven't watched any of it back yet but just watched this and weeped again! Love you Kate Tempest so much. Seen her perform a few times to bigger and bigger audiences and wondering whether it will work and it does every time, she deserves to be HUGE.  

I like to think I'm a fairly kind, compassionate person. Each time I see Kate Tempest it's like she insists that I check myself, and i then realise I could be doing so much more. 

She's a spark, she galvanises. Just incredible.  Frankly, I think attendance should be mandatory.

She's the most intense performer I've ever seen I think. Just no let up at all, a constant barrage of rage and anger at the wrongs in our society. Her stamina and focus is just unbelievable. Rarely do you see so many people just stood still transfixed by an artist, no conversations going on at all just people staring at the stage, lots of them in tears. No pause between tracks to let off steam with a big cheer made it even more overwhelming.

We had to bail out and go bar after 20 minutes as the relentlessness of her performance combined with the ominous vibe of the music was just too much for us in our fragile state, we needed soothing. Some random guy actually had a go at us for leaving! Never had that before.

Would love to see her on the Pyramid. Stick her on Sunday afternoon after the legend slot for maximum contrast lol

Was really sad that I missed this but did see her the year before on the hell stage and she has some serious talent.

Two of my friends came back with a signed record and said they were so emotional that one had actually spilled his drink all over her at the signing and she did not even bat an eyelid just laughed! she will be a legend before long :)

I have seen Kate Tempest several times but she continues to amaze me. Her set was hands down the best of my weekend by a mile. As described, the emotions she stirs in you personally and the heightened feelings of love, empathy and social consideration that she leaves you with is down to her sheer talent.

She is everything that I hold dear about Glastonbury Festival and represents the past, present and future of it. She would have been perfect in the RTJ slot after Jeremy Corbyn.