The XX

The Red Telephone

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CHRLY said:

Didn't really do it for me or any of my group either. Though I did quite enjoy the Jamie XX bit.

I'm not sure about them being future headliners, they haven't really moved anywhere on the lineup since their last album. 

Headline Other is about third down in Pyramid IMO, so they've moved up one slot to Pyramid sub with just one spot to move up.

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Headline Other is about third down in Pyramid IMO, so they've moved up one slot to Pyramid sub with just one spot to move up.

Only bigger spot than headlining The Other, is headlining The Pyramid, subbing the pyramid arguably coming in 3rd. 

Rare for the average act 3rd down on the pyramid to be a bigger booking  (at the time) as an other stage headliner. Can imagine the avergae fee between each slot to be quite different.

Last time they played it was a shorter set after Smashing pumpkins had played a longer set.  I think most people take the view that the pumpkins headlined but The XX got to play in the dark.  This felt like a step up to me.

12 hours ago, lukemack said:

Only bigger spot than headlining The Other, is headlining The Pyramid, subbing the pyramid arguably coming in 3rd. 

Rare for the average act 3rd down on the pyramid to be a bigger booking  (at the time) as an other stage headliner. Can imagine the avergae fee between each slot to be quite different.

The thing is though could you see BBK or Alt-J as Pyramid subs this year? They got ridiculously small crowds (I appreciate they where up against big headliners at the time) put the XX in the same position and there is no way in hell they'd have such small crowds, basically next time they're ready to headline Pyramid assuming a half decent album.

9 hours ago, Spindles said:

Last time they played it was a shorter set after Smashing pumpkins had played a longer set.  I think most people take the view that the pumpkins headlined but The XX got to play in the dark.  This felt like a step up to me.

It did feel like a step up, but I think most people didn't give the pumpkins or the set length into account and took the view that The xx headlined the Other Stage. Which they did.

17 hours ago, CHRLY said:

I'm not sure about them being future headliners, they haven't really moved anywhere on the lineup since their last album. 

I think them proving themselves on the Pyramid (obviously relative - I enjoyed it but I was with people who found it terribly dull) is perceived as something to put on the CV to get a major headline slot.

Career trajectory-wise I think you're right; they could have done that slot four years ago - although I don't think it'd have gone down as well. If anything there's less buzz about them nowadays because it's so long since the enormous debut. I'd enjoy them being given the opportunity but it's best just to treat this as their Pyramid headline set.

Loved them.  They were one of my few "must see" bands for the festival and they didn't disappoint.  Managed to geta decent spot for them too, and was made up when a guy put me on his shoulders for a song :D Have had a few moments when rewatching the set on iplayer since being home.

21 minutes ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

Loved them.  They were one of my few "must see" bands for the festival and they didn't disappoint.  Managed to geta decent spot for them too, and was made up when a guy put me on his shoulders for a song :D Have had a few moments when rewatching the set on iplayer since being home.

Yeah, especially since I could have probably seen two other bands instead of them what with the gap for Radiohead, but they were well worth it.  

Already watched their set twice on iPlayer.

The xx were definitely one of the highlights of my weekend! Totally agree with those here who say a 4th album on par with I See You could propel them up to headliner. I'd love to see them up there too - playing on the Pyramid obviously means so much to them as a band.

7 minutes ago, DropBeat said:

The only set this year I have acquired as a download for future viewings. Like Jamie's 2015 set it well probably become perfect after party background music.

Look forward to them headlining one day.

I'd be tempted to edit out Oliver's anecdotes. As nice as they were on the day, they wear a bit thin fourth time round!

I love them, they've got a heartfelt authenticity about them on stage which is surprisingly rare these days. The way they've changed their live set up since the last record is seriously impressive too - I liked them live last tour too but it wouldn't have worked in a million years in that slot this year. Jamie XX is a cracking DJ and they've both got great voices but still much greater than the sum of their parts. 

One slight dissenting voice - I wish Jamie would trying to do drum by hand on the pads, when he lets the drum machines do the work, it becomes much tighter and the party starts.

Incidentally, how great is the track sequencing on that gig?  They really know how to build a set! (almost as if one of them is a DJ)

Decided not to see them at Glasto as I'd seen them on tour. and Lorde clashed who I hadn't seen. If they can tour with another album in the fallow year then definitely "Other stage" headliner Possibly Pyramid (especially if up against some grime on Other).

I do think even the early stuff isn't embedded in enough people's heads to make them true Pyramid headliners, and the first album still remains the most popular however well the others have been received. I think they'll need a fairly sizeable spike in their popularity with their next album to stand a chance of headlining. 

28 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I do think even the early stuff isn't embedded in enough people's heads to make them true Pyramid headliners, and the first album still remains the most popular however well the others have been received. I think they'll need a fairly sizeable spike in their popularity with their next album to stand a chance of headlining. 

I dunno, I don't know if you were there or not, but the new songs got a hell of a reaction, loads of people knew all the words and it really felt like things picked up with those tunes.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I dunno, I don't know if you were there or not, but the new songs got a hell of a reaction, loads of people knew all the words and it really felt like things picked up with those tunes.

Yeah I was a couple back from the rail - though maybe where I was it was too packed full of those damn Radiohead fans!