The XX

The Red Telephone

NAILED IT. Future headliners for sure, once they have a few more tracks to pull off a 2hr set.

Watched it back yesterday and all the feelings came back. And seeing it mean so much to them adds so much to the experience. They're such a tight band.

Felt so good when On Hold kicked in to the final chorus, I danced my ass off.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They pulled it off well and definitely are one of those bands who have a shout at topping the bill if their next album is as strong as this one and the timing falls right.  Like Royal Blood before them they seemed to get a lot of love from the crowd, who received the set with enthusiasm.

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Oliver and Romy both looked incredibly humbled, which always makes a good performance even better. Future headliners, you bet. 

Always tends to be the case when the performers are also punters of the festival, didn't Oliver say something about watching somebody while he had a broken foot? Possibly Beyoncé? Memory is a bit hazy!

I'll join in with the general consensus on this thread. They were brilliant, the nicest people in music (just see some of their videos from Brixton on YouTube) and completely nailed the set.

Jamie controlled the whole thing from his 'command' centre, allowing Oliver and Romy to wow the crowd with beautiful music and vocals.  When I look back to seeing them in 2009 on Jools playing Islands, I can't believe how far they have come.  

They should be an inspiration to a generation of young music makers.

They were genuinely appreciative to be there and really connected.

Edited by Pandas

57 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Always tends to be the case when the performers are also punters of the festival, didn't Oliver say something about watching somebody while he had a broken foot? Possibly Beyoncé? Memory is a bit hazy!

yeah he did. That bit in On Hold where he goes "I love you Glastonbury" gives me goosebumps each time.

They were outstanding. I went to see them at Brixton Academy back in March and was a little bit disappointed, felt their set was a bit flat. I suspected the venue could've been something to do with that as the soundsystem there is pretty crap. They certainly redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Jamie also played a banging set at Beat Hotel on the final night!

For years I've been imagining the xx playing that slot on the Friday night as the sun sets, and then it happened...and it was incredible!.

Couldn't bring myself to watch any of their set back, but just watched On Hold then, bawling my eyes out.

I almost don't want to see them at Bestival now, just because last Friday was so perfect. 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

With Kate Tempest beforehand, I think that might have been the best run of acts I've ever witnessed in 13 festivals!  Surely a future headliner, whenever their album schedule next aligns?  Especially if the next album is as good as the current one.

Kate tempest was spectacular, I had the biggest of shivers throughout. Heartbreaking and life affirming. It was beautiful. 

I'm more a fan of the xx's older material and expected the set to be a bit flat but the presence and set they delivered eclipsed radiohead in my opinion, and I bloody love radiohead.

Though it did feel like Jamie xx and his 2 mates at times!

It was a wonderfully constructed set and won't be long until they are bona fide headliners 

2 hours ago, Pandas said:

I'll join in with the general consensus on this thread. They were brilliant, the nicest people in music (just see some of their videos from Brixton on YouTube) and completely nailed the set.

Jamie controlled the whole thing from his 'command' centre, allowing Oliver and Romy to wow the crowd with beautiful music and vocals.  When I look back to seeing them in 2009 on Jools playing Islands, I can't believe how far they have come.  

They should be an inspiration to a generation of young music makers.

They were genuinely appreciative to be there and really connected.

Wow, such a difference!

1 hour ago, James96 said:

I love the XX but just did not get their performance at all. Especially when Romy played Performance, probably the worst song on the latest album and completely unneeded in a Pyramid Sub slot imo.

It's an absolutely beautiful song, which would only be ruined by bloody talkers

I actually chose to miss them as there was just too many bloody talkers that day and was going to have to leave early to watch Lorde (who was great)... seen XX many times and back in March so don't feel I missed out too much despite it sounding like a great gig

I do hope they do end up being headliner as they really are going from strength to strength from when i 1st saw them back in 2009

I saw them on tour earlier this year but their set was still one of my Glastonbury highlights. They were brilliant, the crowd felt great and it just warmed my heart seeing how happy they were. One of my favourite things about them is how much they love each other!

5 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Waited on the fringes of the XX crowd to get my Radiohead spot. 

For me they are the sound of paint drying unfortunately. 

Didn't really do it for me or any of my group either. Though I did quite enjoy the Jamie XX bit.

I'm not sure about them being future headliners, they haven't really moved anywhere on the lineup since their last album.