Big Issue

pie_and_a_pint

There were a couple of official Big Issue vendors on the main drag near Greenpeace on Saturday. I bought a copy and had a nice chat with one of the guys. Is this a new thing, or have vendors always been on site and I've just not noticed?

3 minutes ago, rinzeanne said:

Which reminds me, was there a Q magazine Glastonbury Special this year? I remember buying guide one on other years at the exit on Monday 

Always kept an eye out for Q vendors on the Monday but none that I could see this year, none last year either.

41 minutes ago, themuel said:

I saw two, love the mag. 

Although my local vendor is annoying me because he's stopped offering change which I'm sure isn't the point. 

It isn't.  There are a couple of vendors near me, one has a regular spot and she's lovely; the other guys has a tendency to come and go.  Not only does he not offer change, he'll also ask for extra cash once you've bought the magazine.

Now my grumble with that is (a) as you say it's not really the point, but also (b) there's a good chance it will put some people off buying the magzine full stop because the perception will be that "all Big Issue vendors are just after your cash as well as selling the magazine".

I don't begrudge the guy trying to get extra cash because I'm generally not an arsehole, but the Big Issue relies on credibility and the whole "hand up not a handout" philosophy, and I do worry that shenanigans like that can damage that credibility for all the other vendors.  Dunno. Maybe talking out of my arse.

Edited by Quark

Bought one off a seller in 2007 or perhaps 08 in the Circus & theatre field, thought he was a walkabout, asked him if he was real, "of course" he said. He was also a poet and included a sheet inside with one of his poems which brought tears to my eyes. 

I still have both the big issue and poem, glad you brought that memory back :)

Edited by whisty