What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

I always feel a bit sorry for the Scots and geordies who drive to/from Glastonbury overnight - that's a properly long drive. I almost feel like I'm cheating with a reasonably straightforward 4 hours! 

On 30/06/2017 at 7:50 AM, rinzeanne said:

I've tried to figure out how to bring our 2 kids who will be 9 and 11 by then. Quite a challenge if you understand we fly in from the Netherlands. Should we bring 1 big tent, 2 small, and how will all this ever fit in a few rucksack...? 

Might consider coming by car, or camp at worthy view. 

Any tips are welcome. 

I guess driving would be easier. We always go by car from Amsterdam to Glastonbury. Maybe take the night boat from Hoek van Holland to Harwich.

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2017 at 2:51 PM, balti-pie said:

I always feel a bit sorry for the Scots and geordies who drive to/from Glastonbury overnight - that's a properly long drive. I almost feel like I'm cheating with a reasonably straightforward 4 hours! 

Set off at 2am sunday night/monday morning back to sunderland it was a killer. Had to stop 5 different service stations to shut my eyes for 10 mins. Got homr at 11am. I feel sorry for the scottish deffo

Loads of us make the trip every year from Yorkshire .  A friend who lives about a mile from the site introduces us to his local friends and they are always impressed we make the nearly 500 mile round trip.

I have thought it Eavis had been brought up in  Northumberland not many people from Somerset , Wiltshire , Cornwall etc would bother to make the trip up North.

My friend was on the coach back to Leeds and the coach driver did it in 3 1/2 hours , lord he must have thrashed that bus.

10 hours ago, ivan said:

Loads of us make the trip every year from Yorkshire .  A friend who lives about a mile from the site introduces us to his local friends and they are always impressed we make the nearly 500 mile round trip.

I have thought it Eavis had been brought up in  Northumberland not many people from Somerset , Wiltshire , Cornwall etc would bother to make the trip up North.

My friend was on the coach back to Leeds and the coach driver did it in 3 1/2 hours , lord he must have thrashed that bus.

We come down from West Yorkshire. There's always a point about an hour into the journey up North when my mate announces he's got home, in Dorset, and he's got a slow van. No way can I get near that 3½ hour record of the bus though.

On 01/07/2017 at 3:51 PM, balti-pie said:

We leave at 9pm Tuesday night. Bit of a grueller. But all made better when I read of stories of 3 day journeys from the Netherlands etc. That's some commitment to the festival! 

On 6/30/2017 at 1:28 PM, Homersexual said:

I've decided to save £100 a month for the next couple of years and go all out for 2019. I'm gonna treat myself and hire an old school VW Campervan. I've always wanted one but could never afford it, so hiring one for the week would definitely scratch that itch.

Or put you off when it's you thats causing the delay getting of site with a boiled engine on a single track road. Air cooled engine in the back of vehicle. Top engineering.!!!

Mind you my dad had one when I passed my driving test at seventeen and he was brave enough to give me the keys, It was in the days when 2.8 litre Ford Capris were all the rage and atrracted the vain materialistic girls and poser men. I used to pull up in the city centre when they were all revving engines and fluttering eyelashes and promptly put the kettle on and make a spliff. Atrracted a much nicer type of girl. :D

To conclude I'll say the longer you have it the more likely it'll let you down, but it'll never let you down :rofl:

Edited by mashedonmud

On 6/29/2017 at 4:41 PM, crazyfool1 said:

That's the plan as I've been creating my own outfits for at least 10 years now .. just the one or two offers :) for fancy dress including some more unusual ones :) . I now need to try to work out a balance between keeping the ideas exclusive and the time / cost balance as they do take up some time to make . And thanks shame I didn't get to see the coat 

More power to you man, you're outfit was amazing when we bumped into you on Thursday night at the Glade (apologies if I was a bit gillepsied and couldn't string much of a sentence together).  Good work though and we'll be at the front of the queue to purchase when the time comes.

On 08/07/2017 at 8:47 PM, SteveTLizard said:

More power to you man, you're outfit was amazing when we bumped into you on Thursday night at the Glade (apologies if I was a bit gillepsied and couldn't string much of a sentence together).  Good work though and we'll be at the front of the queue to purchase when the time comes.

Thanks , will keep you all updated ... maybe I can make some sort of tie in with efestivals as this site has helped my confidence to  do it massively :)

Edited by crazyfool1

Leave Aberdeen at 7am on the Tuesday - best 10 hour drive of the year.... check into hotel in Cheddar for the night, back roads to the site, zero traffic, in and pitched by late morning on the Wednesday

The Monday though - worst 10 hour drive of the year :( (although this year we actually went back to cheddar and stayed the Monday night and drove up on the Tuesday!

As for getting ready for 2019....erm....I'm ALWAYS ready!

• Upvote 1

Reached the point 2019 feels like a possibility. I tend to arrive back so exhausted I decide not to do it again. My declaration that I'm putting her first next year is scoring me extra points with the other half. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 2

Booked some driving lessons. Dragging all my kit on the train is just too much now I'm there for 8 days. There are other, important, work-related reasons that I need to drive as well, but being able to take myself and my stuff to festivals more easily is a definite consideration.

• Upvote 1

On 15/07/2017 at 3:28 PM, kalifire said:

Reached the point 2019 feels like a possibility. I tend to arrive back so exhausted I decide not to do it again. My declaration that I'm putting her first next year is scoring me extra points with the other half. 

She does know you have no choice, you selfless so and so? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much today but for the past week or so I've been teaching myself how to juggle.  It's always fascinated me but when you see some of the small acts around Theatre and Circus fields, it's amazing. 

My logic is that by this time next year I'll have it more than mastered so I won't need to worry about having to get a ticket in October...I can just do my one-woman juggling act in Bella's Field as a performer (I wish).

• Upvote 1