Sexual Assauly at Silver Hayes

Wondermum

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, barkley87 said:

Get them into martial arts or self defence. Hopefully they'd never have to use it but if anything ever did turn bad they'd be able to defend themselves.

I've been doing kickboxing for a few years now (I'm one level below black belt!) and although I'd never want to have to use it on anyone it does give me a little more confidence when confronting these kinds of people. I wish I'd started it when I was younger.

Great idea, I'm going to have a chat with the wife about it tonight

5 hours ago, Penrhos said:

I was at a gig in Nottingham last month and the girl next to us was being groped by the guy behind her - I spotted it and asked her if she was OK, she said no so I called security over and demanded they do something about it, within two songs they had grabbed him and thrown him (and his friend who started kicking off) out, they checked she was OK and offered to walk her to her car after the gig.

They said they had to wait until they'd seen him do it so there'd be no comeback, but if you report it security will do something about it.

I've been going to gigs for over 30 years and I've never groped anyone and I don't see why having a few beers or some drugs suddenly gives anyone the green-light to do so. 

They should have kept him and called the police and he should have been charged and on a sex register. Why the fuck does this not happen? Yet if you get caught with a spliff or doing a line in toilet you have a good chance of having your life ruined.  

2 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

Really sad and disgusting news to hear about. Considering that the Safe Gigs For Women campaign was well represented in the Left Field, stories like this unfortunately prove there is a need for such campaigns.

I think what this thread shows is that, unfortunately, there is a need to represent it everywhere else too.  Being an older woman I don't get this kind of thing anymore but my daughters do - especially the one who is physically tiny, which makes me think it's more a power thing than a truly sexual one (as full-on rape often is).

6 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I don't understand the arguments that suggest individuals should have to restrain themselves - its absolutely mad that 'hmm, should i grope a tit or should I not?' is even a thought that should arise. Why is that even an impulse that people get? I can't even begin to comprehend the thought process - 'yeah radiohead are great and everything but i actually really feel like grabbing this tit over here'. Its bizarre.

I believe it's often a power thing than for gratification.  That's how it feels anyway.  A certain type of male really does not like to see women down the front at gigs. Or anywhere in front of him.