Sexual Assauly at Silver Hayes

Wondermum

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I thought it was pretty brave of Katy Perry to dive into the crowd the way she did. Hopefully nothing untoward happened.

If this is what the world has come to I despair.  There should be no risk of sexual assault for anyone, anywhere regardless of who they are or what sex they are. 

I need to stop reading this thread, it's making me feel depressed. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

If this is what the world has come to I despair.  There should be no risk of sexual assault for anyone, anywhere regardless of who they are or what sex they are. 

I need to stop reading this thread, it's making me feel depressed. 

With you on this one!

This is all quite terrible, and heartbreaking really.

One positive is that these issues are being highlighted more and more (in fact it's possible, but not certain, that we are seeing a rise in reporting rather than a rise in assaults).

I saw no less than five bands (if the napalm death cite is true - I don't fully recall it) speak out about this very issue.

The others were RTJ, Frank Carter, Petrol Girls, and First Aid Kit (rape injustice).

I used to think Glastonbury was the safest place on earth until a serious sexual assault last year (where a guy came into my tent). I'm obviously a lot more wary now, especially about my friends going about on their own. It shouldn't happen but it does. In a city the size of glastonbury there will always be a few arseholes around. FairPlay to all the acts that spoke up. I took my 18yr old niece this year and we were in a group of 15. All of the people in my party knew what had happened to me and not to leave her alone... ever! 

These little freaks need someone to call them out on what they're doing the moment it happens, even if you don't know the person who's been assaulted we all know what's right and what's wrong.

I don't buy into this shite about being too wrecked as well, I've been in some horrendous states and not once did I think it'd be alright to start touching up some stranger (male or female) or even somebody I knew for that matter. It's just weird.

Fucking disgraceful to think that this is a problem that not only exists but seems to be getting worse?

Fellas, have a fucking word with yourselves.  You've got sisters, you've got mums, you've got female mates, many of us have got daughters.  How would you feel if they were on the receiving end of this?  Feel that way about ALL the women out there, get angry at the thought of them having to put up with this as some sort of normalcy, which it isn't and never should be.

Reading this thread has ruined my night and I've only been home from work 10 minutes :/

Ladies, I'm really sorry you have to put up with this.  Truly saddens me that this is the world we live in.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Fucking disgraceful to think that this is a problem that not only exists but seems to be getting worse?

Fellas, have a fucking word with yourselves.  You've got sisters, you've got mums, you've got female mates, many of us have got daughters.  How would you feel if they were on the receiving end of this?  Feel that way about ALL the women out there, get angry at the thought of them having to put up with this as some sort of normalcy, which it isn't and never should be.

Reading this thread has ruined my night and I've only been home from work 10 minutes :/

Ladies, I'm really sorry you have to put up with this.  Truly saddens me that this is the world we live in.

You should perhaps read my post earlier in the thread and also glance over @ghostdancer1 post. It's not just women who receive this kind of treatment - although there is no doubting that women are frequently the targets. 

6 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Something about this post has really resonated with It's like a true understanding, acceptance and genuine want of change. More of this please. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

You should perhaps read my post earlier in the thread and also glance over @ghostdancer1 post. It's not just women who receive this kind of treatment - although there is no doubting that women are frequently the targets. 

Someone rubbing your face or running their hands through your hair although incredibly invasive cannot be held in the same regard as someone invading your genitals. 

8 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

With all due respect, someone on molly stroking your hair and a single experience you had "years and years ago" aren't quite the same as a high number of women experiencing this in a single festival.  Using your anecdote as a means of muting discussion is all kinds of ridiculous!

Sure, sexual assaults can happen to men too, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread an issue (particularly during moshing and passing by crowds), and certainly not one that is making men question whether they're even safe within a festival. 

(and yes, as a guy I can recall one experience of someone trying to grab my crotch years and years ago.  It wasn't a pleasant experience, but not one that I'd consider pervasive throughout social norms.)

Edited by fowls

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Someone rubbing your face or running their hands through your hair although incredibly invasive cannot be held in the same regard as someone invading your genitals. 

I'm not going to argue with you as it wouldn't be appropriate but towards the end of my post I did state that a girl did attempt this

2 minutes ago, fowls said:

With all due respect, someone on molly stroking your hair and a single experience you had "years and years ago" 

Firstly I'm not muting discussion - I'm adding to it. Odd claim.

Secondly, I'm sure if I had a stroked and rubbed my hands through a womens hair and wouldn't leave them alone at Glastonbury and then she came onto this thread to state that this happened - there would rightly be plenty of outrage. 

Sounds creepier that way round though does it not? 

2 hours ago, Tyonks said:

Firstly I'm not muting discussion - I'm adding to it. Odd claim.

Secondly, I'm sure if I had a stroked and rubbed my hands through a womens hair and wouldn't leave them alone at Glastonbury and then she came onto this thread to state that this happened - there would rightly be plenty of outrage. 

Sounds creepier that way round though does it not? 

When someone states an issue about sexual assault of women, and  your initial response straight out the gates (and only contribution to the conversation) is "but what about men?" you are muting their argument, or at the very least not listening to their concerns.  The harassment men and women face are very different, there aren't many comparable scenarios to raise in the same conversation.  For example, do you fear for going into a tight crowd in case someone tries to grope you? Do you think someone would try to grope you if you crowd surfed or joined a mosh pit? These are the concerns being raised.

If you believe there's a latent widespread incidence of male sexual assault that is not being discussed, then yes that's worth discussing, but it's not relevant in this thread.  Or at the very least wait for the conversation to develop past a single page before trying to "balance" the issue.

And the MD girl/boy thing - not particularly.  I think most people have experienced someone on drugs fascinated by hair, it's obviously not sexual and they don't try to grope more intimate areas.   The invasion of personal space may be annoying, but at best it's standard harassment unless the tone descends to a sexual nature.  

Edited by fowls

Pissed up guy near me during the jacksons did something, I'm not sure what,  to the woman in front of him, her brick shithouse of a husband had to be restrained from tearing him a new one by about 4 guys, the pissed up guy was taken away by his very pissed off friends.

i must admit in crowds I was very aware of not leaving myself open to accusations, at times i resembled a lemur with my Hands above my head, daft I know.

I'm so glad that acts are starting to call this disgusting behaviour out even though we should really be past the point where people need to now. The best way to deal with this behaviour is to call it out, there are no excuses. I'm too off my head won't cut it - so is everyone else at Glastonbury, if you honestly start groping and acting sexually aggressive towards others because you're intoxicated, then maybe really think about whether or not you should be taking these substances and allowing yourself near vulnerable people. 

I've been going to gigs for over 40 years and this has not been an issue until recently as far as i'm aware (though i'm sure there have been a few isolated incidents in the past). Maybe it's because there are more girls attending on their own or with female friends than there were in the old days when most girls were with a male friend so they are now seen as easy prey, whatever the reason, if bands are having to tell the audience not to grope girls there is something seriously wrong. This behavior could result in innocent blokes being accused of touching as it is next to impossible to move through a busy crowd without making contact with people, This needs reporting to security each and every time it happens and the offenders reported to the police, once a few get prosecuted (or even just ejected from gigs) the message will start to get through. If guys see this happening at a gig they need to get involved and put a stop to it.

the thing that bothers me is that instead of wasting everyone's fucking time gripping people for smoking a bit of weed or being a bit ketted, the security should be on the lookout for this sort of behaviour and cave some heads in. the whole 'security' issue was a massive waste of resources and GFL should be made very aware of this.

48 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I've been going to gigs for over 40 years and this has not been an issue until recently as far as i'm aware (though i'm sure there have been a few isolated incidents in the past). Maybe it's because there are more girls attending on their own or with female friends than there were in the old days when most girls were with a male friend so they are now seen as easy prey, whatever the reason, if bands are having to tell the audience not to grope girls there is something seriously wrong. 

It has always been an issue. No-one was that interested before and by that I mean men weren't that interested in hearing about it or thought we were exaggerating. It has taken a lot of work to even get to this stage.

It's become a problem because more people go to gigs these days - it's just another night out. And this sort of behaviour is essentially accepted at nightclubs and it's telling no-one is trying to tackle it there. It's just an attempt to stop that culture coming into our spaces. Which is a sad state of affairs.

30 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

It has always been an issue. No-one was that interested before and by that I mean men weren't that interested in hearing about it or thought we were exaggerating. It has taken a lot of work to even get to this stage.

This. I think it possibly used to be worse it's just, thankfully, people are talking about it more and trying to do something. It's disgusting and is just yet another time when I feel utterly ashamed to call myself male.

On a separate note, you always will get people who think they are hugely intelligent trying to add a different spin on an issue like this; e.g. 'men get it as well'. (Not dissimilar to the whole 'white lives matter too', 'why can't we have straight only clubs', bla bla bla). Please, just don't bother, it's not big or clever. 'Fowls', above, has already, rather eloquently, made someone look like an fool. Please don't be the next. Let's not make us men feel anymore ashamed than we already do.

37 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

True. I can remember this being raised as an issue in the early 90s, particularly in respect to women crowd surfing. It's something that gets highlighted from time to time but then receives less attention. It's good to see what appears to be a more concerted and sustained effort to keep it in the spotlight. It's down to us to make sure this kind of behaviour doesn't go unchallenged and is allowed to hide in the shadows. 

43 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's become a problem because more people go to gigs these days - it's just another night out. And this sort of behaviour is essentially accepted at nightclubs and it's telling no-one is trying to tackle it there. It's just an attempt to stop that culture coming into our spaces. Which is a sad state of affairs.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that this culture has been in 'our' spaces for decades. It's very likely to have always been there.