Fake security?

dreadwing

This is an interesting one.

Arrived on the Tuesday and after queuing for 5 hours in that awful heat I walked straight through. No checks, nothing.

On the Thursday night I was outside the elrow tent and was confronted by 5 guys in hi vis, who frog marched me off to a corner and began to search me. Sadly they found my stash and took it off me. I wasn't doing anything at the time. They were also going to kick me out, as they thought I was dealing. They wouldn't let me go back to my tent to get my stuff. One of them even had a glove ready. However thanks to spend quick thinking of a friend he said that everyone else is gurning in that tent so go and pick on someone else.

Obviously at the time it was annoying but after a couple of hours it just felt like I lost it.

Thinking back to it now, it just didn't seem very real. In my state I was a bit scared and felt vulnerable. Felt as though they were looking for easy targets to take and either keep for themselves or sell on. Especially as everyone else was keying and wide eyed.

The next morning, I was looking through my bag and found that they had missed a bag. So surely if they found a little bit they would of wanted to do a thorough search.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

fake security robbing people isn't unknown, but it's also not unknown for real security to do it too.

In nearly all cases they seem to pick on youngsters, presumably because they think it's easier to get away with.

I didn't even think to look for a number or ask questions. I was in a state of shock. Didn't tell them they needed a warrant or they should just take me to police. I guess I'll never know if they were real or not, but it was annoying that everyone else was obviously off there face around these guys, yet although I wasn't doing anything at the time, I still had a bit on me. 

Happened to me in 2015. They must have followed me back to my tent in the early hours - as soon as I sat down they were on me. I started to kick up a fuss (asked for numbers/some sort of paperwork) but decided to let it go as they were just after what was in my pocket, not the main stash in the tent, and they started threatening me with eviction at that point.

Didn't seem legit at all. Felt much more like a mugging than anything else.

I assume there's standard procedure they should follow. Would probably be worth knowing! Was much more discreet this year and luckily didn't have any problems.

I imagine security hired by the festival will have visible ID cards or at least will have to provide you with their badge number or something - standard procedure

Unfortunately you'll get people who buy hi-vis jackets and try to do this on people to get free drugs or just to sell on at profit. Always ask for identification or some sort of badge number

26 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

I didn't even think to look for a number or ask questions. I was in a state of shock. Didn't tell them they needed a warrant or they should just take me to police. I guess I'll never know if they were real or not, but it was annoying that everyone else was obviously off there face around these guys, yet although I wasn't doing anything at the time, I still had a bit on me. 

I got hassled by (genuine, I think) security a few years back. I told him to fuck off and get the old bill.

He said he would but that would mean me getting thrown off site and my wristband removed - so I'm not entirely sure there's a 'safe' game to play with them.

Tho I did find a safe option, and just told 'fuck you, you're not having me' and walked away (I didn't run). He just stood there open mouthed and did nothing. :lol:

It's annoying, but if you're on the wrong side of the law you have to accept the consequences that might come with that.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep - they should all have their official security thing (issued by a govt agency) on display.

I can confirm this. One security guy I got chatting to didn't have one, I asked about it (in a friendly manner - he was obviously legit) and he said that not having a full licence (or whatever it is) means he's not allowed to search anyone's body. He was just placed at a Ped Gate to stop any runners/frogmarch those with fake tickets and wristbands to the ticket office.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep - they should all have their official security thing (issued by a govt agency) on display.

Yeah, ID card on an arm band on else on the breast pocket of a jacket and no questions asked when asked to produce their ID

Luckily I've had no trouble with security and wouldn't have any reason to be but always weary about dodgy security

My mate got done a while ago, said they were undercover police and taking him to a unit. Started walking him the opposite direction, when he clocked on they done him in and robbed his money and stash. That was about 6 years ago, not seen anything similar since. 

I saw a couple of security tackle a young guy outside Ghandi's Flip Flop and search him. They had his pants down in front of a crowd while they searched him. When challenged about about what would happen with the drugs they found they said that they get searched when they go back into the compound. A guy sat across from us said that he ran a bar on site and had got all of his drugs off security this year.

I also saw fire marshalls and stewards swapping vests on a shift changeover at The Glade which makes a bit of a mockery them being numbered.

Security at the festival are often lovely. Got to meet so many working on the gates

I won't go into it too much but they don't enjoy the festival. I know it's their job but they don't get the luxuries that other workers on site do.

but yeah that seems fishy

A friend of mine got caught sniffing some coke around the park area by 2 "dubious" looking thugs in hi vis, neither had id to show him and were been pretty aggressive towards him to hand it over, which eventually he did but not realising he'd given them a gram of ket instead of the coke they wanted!!!!!

Lets hope they didn't have to much of a big line.....

On 29/06/2017 at 0:28 PM, Migraine said:

I saw a couple of security tackle a young guy outside Ghandi's Flip Flop and search him. They had his pants down in front of a crowd while they searched him. When challenged about about what would happen with the drugs they found they said that they get searched when they go back into the compound. A guy sat across from us said that he ran a bar on site and had got all of his drugs off security this year.

I also saw fire marshalls and stewards swapping vests on a shift changeover at The Glade which makes a bit of a mockery them being numbered.

There were some fake high viz tabards around the sight and some genuine ones stolen! I would question why a full search was done in full view of the crowd! 

In 2013 5 'security' guards stormed our tent up in Park and searched us all, luckily they only found one pill (which was a dud anyway) and then left, safe to say I don't think they were legit, it has been happening for years though - just have to ask to see their SIA verification - which is understandably not always at the front of your mind when feeling vulnerable and surround by a load of goons in hi-vis. 

I was in Elrow on Thursday about 6pm. The guy who was flogging the NOS balloons all of a sudden grabbed hold of this small scouse lad and started screaming "I knew I'd find you!" Turns out the scouse kid had sold Mr NOS a fake security wrist band and Mr NOS wasn't happy about it. Seems like it was pretty easy to get hold of fake wristbands this year? There was another scouse guy who got caught at Castle Cary with a load of them too. 

On 2017-6-29 at 0:28 PM, Migraine said:

surely the crowd would challenge this sort of behaviour? 

11 minutes ago, BenLFC said:

I was in Elrow on Thursday about 6pm. The guy who was flogging the NOS balloons all of a sudden grabbed hold of this small scouse lad and started screaming "I knew I'd find you!" Turns out the scouse kid had sold Mr NOS a fake security wrist band and Mr NOS wasn't happy about it. Seems like it was pretty easy to get hold of fake wristbands this year? There was another scouse guy who got caught at Castle Cary with a load of them too. 

Said NOS sellers were also wearing some pass around their necks to indicate they were legit

14 minutes ago, BenLFC said:

There was another scouse guy who got caught at Castle Cary with a load of them too. 

A stack of ~50 wristbands got nicked from one of the boutique places too. Lots of people got chucked out going for a morning shower - don't they know they're all numbered? :)

Re crowds challenging security - at Bestival 2007 this guy was walking around naked. Security guard came over and dragged him off. On the way, the security guard hit him really hard over the head, even though he wasn't resisting and he was already dragging him in a pretty harsh headlock. Our group of about six followed and tried to report the security guard.

(We were all in full fancy dress at the time, me as Tina Tuner... I'm not female).

We were told that if we didn't go away we would be thrown out of the festival for causing trouble. We were sober(ish - it was around lunchtime) and being perfectly calm and reasonable.

Came on the eFestivals Bestival page later and the guy (presumably it was him) was on here saying he was being tried for being a sex offender as there were kids around! Said he was a teacher and was going to lose his job. All seemed a bit harsh!

Edited by Homer

5 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Said NOS sellers were also wearing some pass around their necks to indicate they were legit

Yeah they were. My misses even asked if Elrow were allowed to bring their own NOS sellers haha. She's not the sharpest tool sometimes. 

I had the same, where some guy came up with a walkie talkie, saying I was being dodgy and he would need to search me etc... told him to fuck off. 

He didn't come back to me after that, so I assume it was a hoax. Up near the stone circle / park.

Edited by 6t6o6m