First and last but.....

babyblade41

Thought I'd say this as it will be one more ticket for 2019 !!

Firstly I had a ball and will remember it for the rest of my days. I spent time chatting to the nicest of strangers especially a young Irish girl waiting for Barry Gibb and I must say I was so glad I bought a big box of plasters as I gave them to so many people 

The reasons I can't go again are just a few but realistically too big to try again 

. I was on my own and it was a bloody nuisance having to take my gear with me every time I wanted the loo or to go get a drink, I didn't think it would be fair to ask someone to look after my things whilst I disappeared for god knows how long 

The amount of people when I got caught up between acts made me really uncomfortable and panicky, when you are flying solo it made it 10 times worse as I started to panic in case I started to panic if you get me 

I was in WV which made it impossible for me to go back later to drop off a few things or just to have an hours rest , I'm afraid old age doesn't come by itself.  I had to take my jumper and coat around with me all day . I did go back on Friday and that caused so much hip pain ( bike accident many years ago) that `I didn't repeat it a second time

The sheer size of the place made it impossible for me to keep flitting from one place to the other and missed a couple of acts as I couldn't physically get there

I found a lot of techno or whatever it's called in numerous places which really isn't my bag and found little of any rock sets playing which is totally down to my personal tastes but it's a genre that I really can't stand . 

I didn't even see where earache express was but even there I was looking for something a little  less extreme.

For me the physical capability to do the festival comfortably especially on my own is a tad too much and have to await to see what damage I've done .

I was talking to my daughter when I got back ( I only managed to see her once whilst I was there ) and she agreed that if I went again she wouldn't be happy as she'd worry too much about how I was coping so I think from now on it will be the Ramblin Man festival for me.. musically more to my taste and a hell of a lot smaller for someone with some physical defects .

I hope it's OK to stay on this forum as you are a fine bunch of people and with a common love of live music and for me there is not enough . I was bought up in pubs where live music was the norm 

I had a blast and the experience will never leave me just wish I was able to do it a few years ago before this poor old body became a bit decrepit 

Never say never!

You have 16 months to find yourself a Glastobuddy of similar mindset, someone who you can relax with and can do the festival at the same pace as yourself. 

There's so much to do without having to be full on all the time, I'm wrecked now but I know I pushed too hard and not as young as I used to be so bouncing back does take time. I'm already looking for my next festival adventure.

Hopefully once you have got through the recovery stage you change your mind and get the call to return to the farm.

So sorry to read that you had so many difficulties during the festival. The sheer size of the place does make it impossible to see all the acts you'd like even if they don't clash, and the scale of the festival is simultaneously the best and worst things about the place. The relative lack of rock has been a frequent criticism as well. Hopefully the success of Earache Express will see more rock at the festival in the future.

But please do hang about here, as I've enjoyed your posts so much over the past months. :)

Edited by musky

The above comments are the reason why it makes me sad not to be able to go again and why I'd still like to hang around.

My other problem that affects us all is the trying to get tickets if you are not lucky enough to get them in October, makes planning a pain 

I saw the lock ups  and was going to use them but in 2 years time my abilities will be even worse.... now if there was a mono rail :D

I did miss the lack of rock this summer I must say 

Thanks you all for your kind comments x

Sorry to hear that the problems you had seem to have taken the gloss off the weekend. I was doing it for the first time as well at 64 but I don't have the dodgy hip and I walked miles. I thought I was prepared for the size of the site, but I wasn't and it can be a long way between stages if the acts you want to see fall badly. I just took the bare minimum with me each day and used the lock-ups for storage.

I know what you mean about the crowds, the worst one I encountered was on Thursday around Williams Green when the Smyths were on, but I just tried to avoid the worst by hanging around for ten minutes or so at the end of a set or just to dodge in to somewhere quieter when the railway line got busy.

I too never got down to earache, it seemed an odd place to put it.

Anyway at least you had the experience and you never know perhaps in two years time you'll feel differently. Personally I can't wait to go back.

Enjoy yourself at Ramblin Man.

I'm 53, with terrible knees and I had sprained my ankle by falling down the stairs at work the Friday before the festival which meant that my most supportive walking boots pressed on the swelling, and I worked on the bars for Shelter.

It was incredibly hard but experience does help you to find the ways to get through. After my Saturday shift finishing at 3am, I was back on duty on Sunday at 3pm, and the temptation was to try and get out early to catch a final couple of acts, but experience (not of working the festival, but just of the festival) told me that I had to rest, so I did - I stayed right off my feet til as close to my shift as possible. This left me enough energy to get out after my shift and end the festival well instead of badly.

Age can slow you down it's true, and finding your acceptance of this, and your techniques to get round it, do get you through. I do far less at Galstonbury now than even 5 years ago, let alone my youth, but I make sure that I enjoy what I do.

Use the lock ups strategically to save walking, carry spirits to save weight and trips to the bar and the loo, and when you need to sit down, sit down, and just watch the world go by. Be strategic with what you want to see and avoid going one end of the site to the other & back within one afternoon. 

Finally - if the showers became unusable at Worthy View due to queues, then the advantages are limited. Bring a camper an or caravan (I have friends who get a cheap one off eBay and re-sell it when the festival is over) or ask your daughter to help you bring your tent in and camp in the festival to avoid the worst of the hill.

It's all possible, accepting that you're getting older and your body doesn't do what it used to do does mean a different Glastonbury, but it douesn't have to mean no Glastonbury.

Lugging my gear in, I swore this was the last time.  Lugging my gear out (up the Hill of Death), I swore this had to be the last cos another might actually kill me.  So, thinking rationally, what I actually need to do is simplify and get the coach and take that walk right out. I think want to throw it right up in the air and apply to be a litter picker and have a completely different festival.

There are squillions of different Glastonburys to be had depending on choices you make. Bed yourself in here meantime and see how you feel on t-day when the aches are just memories. Camplight do pre-erected tents in Pennards for a reasonable price. Nice and central, clean and not-rowdy.  That'd take Heart Attack Hill and accessibility of your gear and nap spot out of your equation. Stash some booze and some waterproofs in a lock up at the other side of the site and you're almost there.

So happy to hear you loved it, @Losing my hair.

Don't be put off too easily! Some of that's just tricks and things you need to learn to make it work - like leaving chairs/night time kit in lockups on site so it's easily retrieved, or not using Worthy View - there are groups like Camplight who offer pre-erected camping actually on-site so no hill to walk up and down.

Some of it though can't be helped. You'll always miss things, there will always be crowds. The people can mostly be moved around and with the right timing mostly avoided, but can only fit so much into the days no matter what - gotta just enjoy what you can do as much as you can.

Curious about "lugging all your gear" - just how much were you carrying around with you? 

55 minutes ago, amfy said:

I'm 53, with terrible knees and I had sprained my ankle by falling down the stairs at work the Friday before the festival which meant that my most supportive walking boots pressed on the swelling, and I worked on the bars for Shelter.

It was incredibly hard but experience does help you to find the ways to get through. After my Saturday shift finishing at 3am, I was back on duty on Sunday at 3pm, and the temptation was to try and get out early to catch a final couple of acts, but experience (not of working the festival, but just of the festival) told me that I had to rest, so I did - I stayed right off my feet til as close to my shift as possible. This left me enough energy to get out after my shift and end the festival well instead of badly.

Age can slow you down it's true, and finding your acceptance of this, and your techniques to get round it, do get you through. I do far less at Galstonbury now than even 5 years ago, let alone my youth, but I make sure that I enjoy what I do.

Use the lock ups strategically to save walking, carry spirits to save weight and trips to the bar and the loo, and when you need to sit down, sit down, and just watch the world go by. Be strategic with what you want to see and avoid going one end of the site to the other & back within one afternoon. 

Finally - if the showers became unusable at Worthy View due to queues, then the advantages are limited. Bring a camper an or caravan (I have friends who get a cheap one off eBay and re-sell it when the festival is over) or ask your daughter to help you bring your tent in and camp in the festival to avoid the worst of the hill.

It's all possible, accepting that you're getting older and your body doesn't do what it used to do does mean a different Glastonbury, but it douesn't have to mean no Glastonbury.

The camper van could be an option that I will be looking at so who knows... I might wait for a re-sale rather than buying in October 

41 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Don't be put off too easily! Some of that's just tricks and things you need to learn to make it work - like leaving chairs/night time kit in lockups on site so it's easily retrieved, or not using Worthy View - there are groups like Camplight who offer pre-erected camping actually on-site so no hill to walk up and down.

Some of it though can't be helped. You'll always miss things, there will always be crowds. The people can mostly be moved around and with the right timing mostly avoided, but can only fit so much into the days no matter what - gotta just enjoy what you can do as much as you can.

Curious about "lugging all your gear" - just how much were you carrying around with you? 

I didn't know of pre-erected other than WV as that is a definite no no again... might be worth looking into as I know I will be gutted when the time comes.

The gear wasn't much but I am very small but I had to have my fold up chair as  I do understand people hate them for good reason but I needed it  throughout the day when not actively watching something, I had those plastic containers with wine (I can't drink spirits without falling over early on) coat , jumper and a couple of bottles of water . 

10 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I didn't know of pre-erected other than WV as that is a definite no no again... might be worth looking into as I know I will be gutted when the time comes.

The gear wasn't much but I am very small but I had to have my fold up chair as  I do understand people hate them for good reason but I needed it  throughout the day when not actively watching something, I had those plastic containers with wine (I can't drink spirits without falling over early on) coat , jumper and a couple of bottles of water . 

Yeah Camplight are in Pennards just by the stone circle, cuts the whole hill out! But even with WV using the lockups can mean you only have to carry the extra bits up and down once, makes it much better :)

People don't mind chairs, it's just where people put them up (middle of crowds etc) I mean they had signs everywhere around the Acoustic tent and they were still sitting right through to the middle! People using them in sensible spots where it's not hindering crowd movement don't bother anyone. Nonetheless in these drier years there's everywhere to just sit, and even in wetter ones there are a lot of benches and bits around for rest when away from stages - it's easier to cope without one than it seems on first impressions.

When you say plastic containers with wine do you mean the bag out of a box of wine? That works great - and with great quality drinking water available everywhere on site there's never any need to carry more than one bottle for water. Coat and jumper into a lockup and you're mostly sorted :) it's so doable - just takes a little practise. If you enjoyed it don't give up - lots of folk here to help with ideas and ways to manage it all as we're a varied bunch

28 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Yeah Camplight are in Pennards just by the stone circle, cuts the whole hill out! But even with WV using the lockups can mean you only have to carry the extra bits up and down once, makes it much better :)

People don't mind chairs, it's just where people put them up (middle of crowds etc) I mean they had signs everywhere around the Acoustic tent and they were still sitting right through to the middle! People using them in sensible spots where it's not hindering crowd movement don't bother anyone. Nonetheless in these drier years there's everywhere to just sit, and even in wetter ones there are a lot of benches and bits around for rest when away from stages - it's easier to cope without one than it seems on first impressions.

When you say plastic containers with wine do you mean the bag out of a box of wine? That works great - and with great quality drinking water available everywhere on site there's never any need to carry more than one bottle for water. Coat and jumper into a lockup and you're mostly sorted :) it's so doable - just takes a little practise. If you enjoyed it don't give up - lots of folk here to help with ideas and ways to manage it all as we're a varied bunch

Thank you , it could be a re-think later... I suppose it's being a newbie and finding other ways with experience as Jo Cox very wisely said " there is more that unites us than divides us "   at least I have time to work out ways to make life easier... but definitely no more WV 

The accessible facilities could well be an option for you if you do change your mind. Places are offered on a case-by-case basis (not first come, first served) so you wouldn't be taking the spot of someone who needs it more. It's central, there's lots of space between tents and you have access to the viewing platforms and accessible loos so you wouldn't have to queue as long. Mr Bear is in a wheelchair, and my dad has a chronic back problem, so he sounds like he's in a similar situation to you as he can't walk for longer than about 10 minutes without pain and can't stand unaided for long. There's also a shuttle service which could help. Just a thought, if the line up is more to your taste next year :-) And if you're turned down you could put your ticket back in the pile, if you can lose the £20...

6 minutes ago, Cuzzy said:

Not sure if people hired them or brought their own but noticed quite a few mobility scooters about excellent for ploughing through busy areas.  But may not be for some peeps 

There was a place on site where you could hire them for £25 per day. You don't need to be registered disabled but do need to book well in advance.

Edited by Ommadawn

14 hours ago, Cuzzy said:

Not sure if people hired them or brought their own but noticed quite a few mobility scooters about excellent for ploughing through busy areas.  But may not be for some peeps 

I'd feel a bit of a fraud as I'm not registered disabled.. far from it and count myself fit apart from my pesky hip ... who knows could have a replacement by then 

Slightly off topic, I saw a guy using the disabled access at Williams Green on Thursday, looked to be ex-forces based on his t-shirt and build and had lost the lower part of his leg.

Much respect to the guy for serving the country but he looked in far better shape than I am and I'm about 20 years younger. The guy was solid!

Disability is pretty much relative but great how it's a very accessible festival despite the potential weather issues.

Understandable but never say never!

It's such a big festival that it sometimes takes time to find your "niche" and do the bits that you like and drop those that you don't. 

It "can" be a bit daunting on your own (especially your first) but there are advantages too.  Personally I spend the entire day on my own (unless my choice coincides with another in the group).

On 29/06/2017 at 0:12 PM, babyblade41 said:

This might suit better for pre-erected camping (never used it myself, but it always seems to sell out): https://www.tangerinefields.co.uk/

definately use lock ups. You can leave a bag with some alcohol and evening clothes in so you don't have to carry it around. If you are organised, pack a couple if these bags to leave at two different lock ups nearest to your favourite stages / places. At the end, if you have drunk your alcohol, they won't be too heavy to carry back.

Rather than big coats and jumpers, take the disposable rain ponchos, a lighter jumper and a 'pack away down jacket'. Hopefully you won't need it, but they are v light and fold down into a v small bag just like an ordinary Kagool but are surprisingly warm (not for freezing weather but more than ok in a crowd in June). If you are still cold, buy a Glastonbury sweatshirt or retrieve clothes stored in lock up.

Arrange to meet Glastobuddies from this site while there...

Never say never!!

59 minutes ago, Newtoit said:

This might suit better for pre-erected camping (never used it myself, but it always seems to sell out): https://www.tangerinefields.co.uk/

definately use lock ups. You can leave a bag with some alcohol and evening clothes in so you don't have to carry it around. If you are organised, pack a couple if these bags to leave at two different lock ups nearest to your favourite stages / places. At the end, if you have drunk your alcohol, they won't be too heavy to carry back.

Rather than big coats and jumpers, take the disposable rain ponchos, a lighter jumper and a 'pack away down jacket'. Hopefully you won't need it, but they are v light and fold down into a v small bag just like an ordinary Kagool but are surprisingly warm (not for freezing weather but more than ok in a crowd in June). If you are still cold, buy a Glastonbury sweatshirt or retrieve clothes stored in lock up.

Arrange to meet Glastobuddies from this site while there...

Never say never!!

Wish I'd known all this before, I just wasn't expecting the place to be so vast ... I was so dis heartened when I got home, not because I didn't have a great time on the contrary it was wonderful but the physical challenges were so great .

If I could find a decent place to camp so I can take time out once a day for an hour or two would have made such a difference also 2 years down the line I won't be getting any better... 

I did join the WhatsApp group for secret re-sales but I didn't want to get on their nerves as I was probably a lot older than they were even though they were all lovely people and never once made me feel unwanted if I did meet up 

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Damn, it's a tough one. I want to be with these guys encouraging you to go back but the honest truth is that if you struggled this year, with the weather being basically perfect, a muddy one might well be a bit too much for you. 

Yeah this is pretty much the way I look at it as well - given how dry-yet-cool it was, getting around from Thursday onwards was pretty much the easiest I've ever seen it at Glastonbury. Firm ground, barely any rain, and no extreme temperatures. If this year was a struggle (especially having skipped the Wednesday), then last year would have been near impossible.