Interesting that there’s not much discussion of Ed Sheeran

Homersexual

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I don't know, i was having the time of my life at Justice.

We were also at Justice.  When planning which gigs to go to, Justice were the first on the sheet, particularly as the best way to end Glasto.

I'm not a big Ed Sheeran fan, a bit too MOR for me, so I may be bias.  I just think that there is nothing special to stand in a field with 100K people watching what is pretty much an acoustic set with one person.  I suppose he is making more cash though that the other headliners :). Arcade fire (per head) must be making the least at festivals^_^.

I went to see him for the same reasons I saw Adele last year, not into either in any way but they are both huge at the moment so let's see what the fuss is all about.

whilst she was bloody fantastic, once you get past the whole 'it's  just a bloke with a guitar and a loop pedal making all that music' you realise quite quickly he can't write a decent song to save his life, I wouldn't say it was shit, but decidedly meh!

was a bit of a low way to end the festival, especially after bazza and Chic, but fortunately I stumbled across the 45s on summer house banging out top quality covers in front of about 30 people who all were up for it as it was Sunday night, proper way to end a festival, much better gig than the ginger one.

Yeah I was surprised he didn't have a band. I go back to my original point that a solo act with no band shouldn't be closing the festival (I stop short of saying "headlining" as he's clearly the biggest draw, just musically it's not good to have that on last). Was a Glastonbury first though I guess.

Well me and my kids absolutely loved it and had a blast. I was genuinely incensed when I got home to find he had been slated, seems many went in with the attitude I'm not going to like this - so why bother when there's other places to be? I didn't see Radiohead as knew would bore me to tears, rather than go and say yep boring as expected. Rant over! :lol:

Before galway girl he even said many of you won't like this one but bet you know the words. Just think his target audience is not really represented on this forum hence not much fuss.

Really really didn't want to see him, I didn't want to see him regardless but equally I'm a big Justice fan so I doubly didn't want to see him. Got persuaded by my wife and our other mates to watch it as they all wanted to and I was on my own with Justice. They all loved it, my wife said it was the best headliner she'd seen, but to me it was like a mainstream American comedy film, not unlikeable, not unentertaining at the time but instantly forgettable. Normally any Pyramid headliner I've seen has more often than not won me over and lived with me afterwards for a little while.

From a read of the press round up, it seems to have had a bit of a mixed to positive reaction from the outside world at large......but then that's largely been true for all of the headliners.  I don't think I've seen one of them hailed as a classic, and Radiohead's gig looks like it's gonna be labelled as 'divisive' until the end of days.

The Graun in particular seems to have taken against the Foo Fighters.  I think I've read 3 separate journos take a pop at their set.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

From a read of the press round up, it seems to have had a bit of a mixed to positive reaction from the outside world at large......but then that's largely been true for all of the headliners.  I don't think I've seen one of them hailed as a classic, and Radiohead's gig looks like it's gonna be labelled as 'divisive' until the end of days.

The Graun in particular seems to have taken against the Foo Fighters.  I think I've read 3 separate journos take a pop at their set.

I certainly wouldn't say it will go down in history as a rememberable headline set, but it was good. I came away from foo's a bit disappointed though, think I just got fed up of Dave talking.

Ed Sheeran is a prime example of what I like to call the "Bake Off effect".

I don't find baking contests particularly interesting. Nor has the general public as a whole previously. There's nothing odd however about enjoying watching a show like Bake Off on an individual basis. Even 1 million people tuning in to watch a baking contest isn't odd. However 10 million+ watching Bake Off and it becoming the most talked about show in the country strikes me as bizarre. The only logical explanation is that a lot of those people wouldn't ordinarily like the show were it not for so many others liking it too. 

Similarly there's very little interesting about Ed Sheeran's music. That said a lot of fairly boring acoustic stuff gets popular and there would be nothing odd about him selling records and being in the charts regularly, playing reasonably high up at Glastonbury. But headlining Glastonbury so early on in his career, selling out stadiums for me says while some of his fans would like him no matter what, a lot of others are attracted by the fact so many others like him. It's water cooler music just like Bake Off is water cooler television.